PDA

View Full Version : N4, Buy from Grant or Noveske?

1 Source
07-02-08, 20:18
After handling an N4 (Low profile) I think I have a case of the wants for one.
What are the pros and cons of buying one from Grant or getting one direct from Noveske??

It will be a 14.5 with pinned FH and some kind of free float rail system with low pro gas block.
I am not sold on any particular rail as they all seem to have some really good points.

RadioActivity
07-02-08, 20:40
Noveske offers .mil/LEO discounts, as does Rainer Arms (Owner is also a forum member here I believe). I'm not sure if G&R offers any .mil/LEO discounts...or whether that even applies for you.

If it was me, disconcerning discounts, I'd grab my rifle from whoever had the extra bits (magazines, sling, optics, mounts, spare parts) available on their site that I wanted. I'm comfortable ordering/supporting any of the three.

sproc
07-02-08, 20:57
Are warranty issues handled differently between guns bought from Noveske versus through GRTactical? Or does that depend on whether it's a custom build or not?

nickdrak
07-02-08, 21:07
If you are eligible for a LE/Mil discount, then you will save a decent amount of money ordering it directly from Noveske.

Assuming that you are getting the "Basic" version of the N4 with the fixed FSB & plastic M4 handguards, as the "Low profile" version already comes with the railed handguard & Troy flip-up front sight included. I would recommend the Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 rail, as it is rock solid, and it takes all of 10mins to install.

thatguy950
07-02-08, 21:17
I ordered my 6920 from Grant, good service but I regret to say I was very unimpressed with the condition of the box my rifle showed up in. The gun was in its plastic wrapping and just thrown inside of a completely beat-up looking box with no bubble wrap or protection and a very hasty tape job. That said, the service was great and it's possible the box was opened and destroyed by the UPS fellas prior to it arriving at my FFL.

1 Source
07-02-08, 21:24
I ordered my 6920 from Grant, good service but I regret to say I was very unimpressed with the condition of the box my rifle showed up in. The gun was in its plastic wrapping and just thrown inside of a completely beat-up looking box with no bubble wrap or protection and a very hasty tape job. That said, the service was great and it's possible the box was opened and destroyed by the UPS fellas prior to it arriving at my FFL.

That is hardly Grant's fault.
The condition of a shipping container is of little consequence if the cargo is in good shape.

thatguy950
07-02-08, 22:14
That is hardly Grant's fault.
The condition of a shipping container is of little consequence if the cargo is in good shape.

I said it may be either the way it was shipped from the starting point, or the UPS guys saw "Colt" on the box and decided to take a look, I'm not sure that's all I'm saying. The gun didn't show up in immaculate condition, though.

rob_s
07-03-08, 05:16
As mentioned, if you qualify for the LE/mil discount, ordering from Noveske makes good sense.

Barring that, I would look to order from Grant if you're looking for a specific rail, trigger, etc. Now that Noveske's SWS rail has the rotation limiting stops in the QD sling mount, there is absolutely no reason I can come up with not to use it, but some people already own rails from other makers and want to be consistent.

So...

If you like the parts that come with the gun, and qualify for the discount, order from Noveske.
If you want specific parts to be built into the gun, and don't qualify for the discount, order from another vendor.
If you want specific parts AND qualify for the discount you're going to have to figure out if those parts are worth more to you than the discount.
If you like the parts that come with the gun and DON'T qualify for the discount, order from whoever has what you want in stock (I hate waiting).

rob_s
07-03-08, 05:27

Colts come from the factory in a box with a plastic bag around the gun and that's it. When your FFL receives the gun they are required to open the box and remove the gun such that they can read the serial number off of the gun (reading it off of the box is not sufficient) and enter it into their log.

sff70
07-03-08, 09:42
Grant offers LE discounts. Contact him for details.

I've been very happy with Grant's (and Roxanne's) service since I started buying from him 3 yrs ago, and have steered people his way for guns and gear.

As to buying directly from Noveske, they too offer a LE discount.

Don't think you can go wrong ordering from either of them.

If you buy from Grant, he can install items (like rail systems, etc) for you.

sff70
07-03-08, 09:50
Colts come from the factory in a box with a plastic bag around the gun and that's it. When your FFL receives the gun they are required to open the box and remove the gun such that they can read the serial number off of the gun (reading it off of the box is not sufficient) and enter it into their log.

+1

Colt does not use bubble wrap.

Also, I've received more than one gun in a box that the UPS/FEDEX gorrillas have mangled. Complaining to them does no good.

lalakai
07-03-08, 11:57
something else to consider as you order parts, is your relationship with the seller. Most people today will buy from the place with the lowest price, or the lowest shipping, or the most freebies, ect. I do a fair amount of business on the net regarding electronic and computer gear (I make my own computer systems). For me, lowest price isn't the main factor, but customer service support and longevity. And when a business pulls up my name and sees how long i've been buying from them, it makes it easier for them to verbally accept that a part was broken and they will ship me a replacement, before i even send the original back. I pay attention to promptness of emails, courtesy and knowledge of CSR's. I'll pay a bit more if it means i get better service down the road, or i might get an email on some special gear that just arrived.

considering that most people are laying out close to $1000 at a minimum to build their AR platform, cutting pennies and buying from the basement dealer, might not be such a good deal if you have to return it.

in case of G&T and Noveske, you are working with 2 very solid dealers. they both understand competition,........along with loyal customers.

FrankRochester
07-03-08, 12:09
How much of a discount do you get for Military or LE from Noveske?

NoBody
07-03-08, 12:15
Deleted.

rob_s
07-03-08, 12:15
How much of a discount do you get for Military or LE from Noveske?

John would prefer that this info not be published publicly. If you qualify, all you have to do is call him up and ask.

1 Source
07-03-08, 12:19
John would prefer that this info not be published publicly. If you qualify, all you have to do is call him up and ask.

I called,
Its a good discount.
Really Good all things considered.

Basicially what I am coning up with is that Noveske and Grant are both top notch and you arent going to go wrong with either of them.

Price isnt the issue as others have said I would rather establish good relationships than nickle and dime people to death.

Grant would appear to offer more custom rail options than Noveske.
Probably faster turn around time as well.

GONIF
07-03-08, 12:39
Grant is going to stand behind what he sells and you can buy with confidence. his customers always end up happy .

vaspence
07-03-08, 13:26
I'll give a good nod to Rainier Arms, I got my N4 from them quickly and they were great to work with, also competetive on the rails systems, etc. jsut didn't have what I wanted in stock. I'm sort of like Rob_s, I too hate to wait. Anybody know of someone with the Larue 3x pivot mount in stock?

Spence

C4IGrant
07-03-08, 14:06
Noveske offers .mil/LEO discounts, as does Rainer Arms (Owner is also a forum member here I believe). I'm not sure if G&R offers any .mil/LEO discounts...or whether that even applies for you.

If it was me, disconcerning discounts, I'd grab my rifle from whoever had the extra bits (magazines, sling, optics, mounts, spare parts) available on their site that I wanted. I'm comfortable ordering/supporting any of the three.

We offer LE discounts as well. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
07-03-08, 14:07
Are warranty issues handled differently between guns bought from Noveske versus through GRTactical? Or does that depend on whether it's a custom build or not?

Since we built the weapon, we would cover it. If it was a barrel issue, Noveske would cover it.

Noveske and I work closely together so there would never be an issue.

C4

C4IGrant
07-03-08, 14:09

That is how they come to us from Colt. We simply turn them around and sell them the same way.

Noveske uppers are covered in bubble wrap and sent in new boxes.

C4

C4IGrant
07-03-08, 14:13
something else to consider as you order parts, is your relationship with the seller. Most people today will buy from the place with the lowest price, or the lowest shipping, or the most freebies, ect. I do a fair amount of business on the net regarding electronic and computer gear (I make my own computer systems). For me, lowest price isn't the main factor, but customer service support and longevity. And when a business pulls up my name and sees how long i've been buying from them, it makes it easier for them to verbally accept that a part was broken and they will ship me a replacement, before i even send the original back. I pay attention to promptness of emails, courtesy and knowledge of CSR's. I'll pay a bit more if it means i get better service down the road, or i might get an email on some special gear that just arrived.

considering that most people are laying out close to $1000 at a minimum to build their AR platform, cutting pennies and buying from the basement dealer, might not be such a good deal if you have to return it.

in case of G&T and Noveske, you are working with 2 very solid dealers. they both understand competition,........along with loyal customers.

Ahhh, a non bottom feeder (internet shopper that is only interested in the cheapest price). Thank God there are some of you out there that appreciate knowledge on gear and our efforts to built quality weapons and stock only the best!

C4

ZDL
07-03-08, 17:52

I've emailed noveske 3 times. One 15 days ago, one 7 days ago, and one 2 days ago. No response at all yet.

Rainier did this as well but stickman took care of me no problem.

Grant answered me every time extremely quickly and professionally. That goes miles for me as well.

As soon as I make my mind up on which AR I want Grant, I'll be sending my money your way.

spamsammich
07-03-08, 18:12
I just popped by Rainier for a little bit today to meet the guys and see what was what. The whole crew there was super busy yet they somehow managed take care of storefront customers, the phone that was ringing off the hook, and building/sending the myriad custom builds that were going on. I was very impressed. I'm a big believer in supporting the local economy whenever possible and don't mind spending a little extra as long as I'm treated well and the prices are competitive.

That being said, whenever I have emailed Grant, or called him during regular business hours, he's been right there to answer my questions. Grant is capable of fulfilling some needs/niches that Rainier does not. I find Rainier to be a great resource for Seattle locals that need their gear pronto for a competitive price. However I'd have to give the nod to Grant for any unique build and custom work with the Noveske line. By all indications, his stuff is well worth the wait. Let me be clear in saying I've had nothing but positive experiences with both retailers. Keep up the great work guys.

SS

Hellfire
07-03-08, 18:39
I've emailed noveske 3 times. One 15 days ago, one 7 days ago, and one 2 days ago. No response at all yet.

Rainier did this as well but stickman took care of me no problem.

Grant answered me every time extremely quickly and professionally. That goes miles for me as well.

As soon as I make my mind up on which AR I want Grant, I'll be sending my money your way.

Call them. I was very impressed with Noveske's CS. Calling is faster than email IMO. My rifle was shipped in bubble wrap and double boxed, I was surprised with the attention to detail with the packing job.

Also, I recently placed a small order with G&R and my order arrived in 2 days, packed very well, and with additional contact info inside the package, which I though was a nice touch being as I had placed such a small order.

I will do business with both again. Deal with confidence.

ZDL
07-03-08, 20:17
Call them. I was very impressed with Noveske's CS. Calling is faster than email IMO. My rifle was shipped in bubble wrap and double boxed, I was surprised with the attention to detail with the packing job.

Also, I recently placed a small order with G&R and my order arrived in 2 days, packed very well, and with additional contact info inside the package, which I though was a nice touch being as I had placed such a small order.

I just received an email from them answering my question.

mgbrookman
07-03-08, 20:35
I have had my Form 4 for a month now and everytime I call Noveske I get someone different, I have to explain everything again. It seems John no longer talks to his customers, or at least this one.:confused:

FrankRochester
07-03-08, 21:08

I sent a question in to Noveske online and didn't get a response after a day, so I called there. Sheri was a great help and answered all my questions. And she brought up something I didn't know about. In NY, I can't have a barrel that can even accept a flash supressor(I verified this). So I would need a muzzle break installed to meet NY laws. I did get a e-mail response today by the way. I was impressed by the service. A very nice person to deal with.

jsbcody
07-03-08, 22:10
Actually this is one of those rare "win-win" situations. You can't go wrong with either choice. I bought an Aimpoint T1 from Grant, great servce! I just bought a N4 Basic, Low Profile from Noveske and got great service from Marie (prompt call backs and emails). I was initially told three weeks on the rifle and was suprised when Marie notified me after just one week that she had just boxed it up and it was shipping out:D ..........Now a long holiday weekend wait for it to get to my FFL:(

mgbrookman
07-03-08, 22:21
Wow.Sounds like I bought the wrong gun from Noveske. I ordered my rig back in April.

Al U. 5811
07-03-08, 22:43
Put it this way. If Grant says he has it in stock, he has it. Best service (and price) anywhere! Grant and Roxanne will do right by you.

uspopo
07-04-08, 08:48
FrankR, if you have a preban lower then you can have a 'flash hider/suppressor' on your rifle otherwise Sheri was correct on the muzzle brake issue. Brownells, Larue, and John/Rainier have been a great source of parts for my AR and Wes/MSTN and Steve/ADCO have been great on returning my phone calls concerning specific upper questions/requirements. My last 3 uppers have come from them. I point the guys in my dept. and my friends in their direction for any and all their AR needs. A fellow officer just got his N4 Light low-pro from Noveske and he couldn't be happier with John's CS. Buy the dealer first..

Stan

45r
07-04-08, 18:44
I've dealt with Grant, Rainier and Noveske. IMHO all three have been top notch in customer care. :D

lalakai
07-04-08, 22:09
agreed all of them are very good. they will all support the fact: you get what you pay for. Not the cheapest, but amoung the very best, with good follow through. that's more important then cheap.