PDA

View Full Version : Is your carry gun's mag release easy/quick?

Ron3
01-29-15, 07:40
I've carried glocks for years but never found the mag release easy to use. It's a little far from my thumb and I have to shift my hand to get to it. I got a gen4 and it's a little easier but still less than desired.

How is it for you on your carry gun? How important is this for you?

Big A
01-29-15, 07:50
Have you tried any of the extended mag releses?

I run the Tango Down/Vickers on my Glocks.

Co-gnARR
01-29-15, 07:52
For me ease of magazine release was of one of the main criteria when choosing the particular firearms I would use for HD and carry. Glock mag release buttons to me were a bit unwieldy. That said, I feel ease of drawing the carry weapon from concealment and being able to operate it in less than ideal conditions weighed heavier than on the fly reloads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Psalms144.1
01-29-15, 08:10
My Gen4 w/Vicker's release is reasonably fast and easy to hit - though I still have to reposition the pistol in my hand to get to it. I find this to be the case with nearly all double-stack pistols with standard "American" magazine releases. The HK/Walther "paddle" release is much faster and easier, IMHO, but not so much of an advantage as to outweigh the other particulars of the Glock platform (trigger, size/weight/capacity ratio, etc).

As previously stated, I think how easy/fast a pistol reloads should be fairly far down on the list of characteristics when choosing a given pistol for carry...

Ron3
01-29-15, 08:43
Yup! Sounds like you guys are right where I'm at. Not ideal but perhaps not reason enough to avoid the gun.

I agree paddle style releases are better without increasing the chances of being pressed by accident.

I have not tried an extended release on my pistols but have on other Glocks. I should look into that more seriously.

Big A
01-29-15, 09:03
I have not tried an extended release on my pistols but have on other Glocks. I should look into that more seriously.

There are plenty of choices out there. You can even take the factory extended one and file it down to a length you want.

SteveL
01-29-15, 12:17
I don't know if there's a gun out there that takes a double stack magazine that I don't have to reposition my hand on in order to hit the (American style) mag release button. I wear a medium in Mechanix Gloves for reference. My daily carry gun is a Walther PPQ with a paddle mag release which I can manipulate with no problem without repositioning my hand.

markm
01-29-15, 12:42
I don't know if there's a gun out there that takes a double stack magazine that I don't have to reposition my hand on in order to hit the (American style) mag release button.

Same here. And I DO NOT want a gun that can accidentally drop the mag. High speed mag reload romance is much less important to me than a reliable gun with a loaded mag in it if I need it.

WickedWillis
01-29-15, 12:49
I have large palms, but short fingers. That is why I magazine latch location is a factor for me when purchasing a handgun. I carry a G19 Gen 4 when wearing a jacket, and a S&W Shield when carrying IWB. I can get to the magazine release on both those guns easily without moving my hand much, if not at all. I would love to carry an HK because that mag release style fits my hands damn near perfectly.

SteveL
01-29-15, 14:03
Same here. And I DO NOT want a gun that can accidentally drop the mag. High speed mag reload romance is much less important to me than a reliable gun with a loaded mag in it if I need it.

This is one of the reasons I quit carrying my M&P every day. There was an occasion when I got home in the evening and removed the pistol from the holster (Comp-Tac MTAC IWB) to find that the magazine was no longer properly seated. I KNOW it had been seated properly when I left the house. After racking my brain I remembered that I had been sitting in a folding metal chair that day and I think that's what did it. A month or two later I was sitting in another of those chairs and this time while paying careful attention to what I was doing, I was able to lean back in the chair and reproduce the problem.

The first pistol I ever bought myself (when I turned 21) was an HK USP45. It was the first time I ever saw a pistol with the paddle style release and I remember thinking how brilliant it was and wondered why every gun manufacturer out there wasn't making the transition to this style.

Ron3
01-29-15, 15:07
Have any of you RH guys put the glock gen4 release on the RH side?
I considered it but I don't think it's going to help much. I think I'd just have to shift my grip a different way to get my forefinger on it.

glocktogo
01-29-15, 16:18

Same here, but I wear XL Mechanix gloves. I usually wind up reprofiling the mag catch shorter than stock to prevent inadvertent release, then notching the frame behind the release so it can be maipulated with gloves on. Seems to work well to prevent unseating the mag while carrying.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-29-15, 17:49
Yes. I carry an HK.

Dollylamma
01-29-15, 18:01
From the "how many mags do you carry thread" another member posted an article that analyzed 482 incidents from "The Armed Citizen". Out of the 482 shoots, there were three reloads and one was against a lion being with .32 revolver. From that same article we learn that the average shots down range is 2.2. So by these stats the chances of a reload are slim. Long story short I echo what markm is saying.

In years past I have broken both thumbs at both joints.When my Glock runs dry I take my off hand and rotate the gun so my strong hand thumb is jammed into the mag release. It slows you down slightly, but you get a positive and hard push on the mag release. This was a trick Mr. Barnsfather showed me.

CAVDOC
01-29-15, 18:32
I am with mark m on this I would rather the mag stay put and be a little slower on the reload than have the mag pop out at an I opportune moment. I have carried and don't mind euro heel mag releases. Very positive and not slow to reload when practiced.

Terrible Tim
01-29-15, 22:33
+1 for HK

Vandal
01-29-15, 23:18
I love the paddle mag releases. I wish every manufacturer would go that route.

Hmac
01-29-15, 23:22
I have found that a trigger-guard msg release as in the PPS, PPQ, and VP9 works best for me. No accidental mag drops, and much faster for me since a can drop the mag with my middle finger without shifting my grip and keeping the pistol pointing downrange.

Savior 6
01-29-15, 23:33
I've carried glocks for years but never found the mag release easy to use. It's a little far from my thumb and I have to shift my hand to get to it. I got a gen4 and it's a little easier but still less than desired.

Ron3 for me I am left dominant and have typically been forced to used a "right handed" mag release on the left side of the weapon. This got me used to using my trigger finger to manipulate the mag release. I also practice ambi and found myself always questioning how the typical left side mag release was supposed to be actuated by people with normal sized hands. Where are these giants the releases are built for?

Having been used to the method of using my trigger finger to actuate the mag release I ended up falling in love with the release on the HK45. I hardly ever have to relinquish my grip. Wish I could put that mag release on every HG I have. Since you have a Gen 4 try moving the mag release to right side and give that trigger finger a go.

Even on Sigs that can be reversed I still leave the release on the left side of the weapon.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-30-15, 02:35
I have found that a trigger-guard msg release as in the PPS, PPQ, and VP9 works best for me. No accidental mag drops, and much faster for me since a can drop the mag with my middle finger without shifting my grip and keeping the pistol pointing downrange.

If SW or Glock would offer the paddles, I would probably stop buying HK pistols...for awhile....

Shao
01-30-15, 04:02

My thoughts exactly. I've been training on stock 1911s for so long that finding and depressing the mag release button is second nature. I would never put an oversize button or reduced power mag release spring on a serious weapon. If you're having difficulty manipulating your mag release under pressure, train more.

BuzzinSATX
01-30-15, 06:09

I noticed this very point when I was checking out the PPQ at my LGS, and wondered if I could adapt easily to this process. Still undecided on buying the PPQ, but I'm curious...does it confuse you when you go back to Glocks and such with thumb releases?

MegademiC
01-30-15, 07:02
When I had a cz, I used my stronghand (right) middle finger to hit the mag release. The m&p is in a different location and the thumb works better. Something to try/consider if you have not already.

Mauser KAR98K
01-30-15, 07:37
I noticed this very point when I was checking out the PPQ at my LGS, and wondered if I could adapt easily to this process. Still undecided on buying the PPQ, but I'm curious...does it confuse you when you go back to Glocks and such with thumb releases?

In a hurry, under stress after just picking up tge weapon, yes. But it shouldn't take long to break the OODA loop.

Paddle release FTMFW!!

Ron3
01-30-15, 11:33
When I had a cz, I used my stronghand (right) middle finger to hit the mag release. The m&p is in a different location and the thumb works better. Something to try/consider if you have not already.

Yup that's what I do if not using two hands for the mag change. It's not very secure in that moment. If I was moving (and we should be) and me or the gun got bumped I'd probably fumble it. (Another reason to carry a 2nd gun and be able to have a firm grip on a gun while reloading)

Ron3
01-30-15, 11:36
In a hurry, under stress after just picking up tge weapon, yes. But it shouldn't take long to break the OODA loop.

Paddle release FTMFW!!

This is what makes us reluctant to change. (Good or bad) we train on certain equipment and procedures and it takes time money and effort to retrain.

Uni-Vibe
01-30-15, 20:10
It's a 1911. It was designed by John Moses Browning. What else need be said?

uffdaphil
01-30-15, 21:10
Going from a 1911 and CZ to a Walther PPS for daily carry I had trouble with the paddle at first. But all is copacetic since I found sticking my strong hand pinky straight out facilitates pressing down with more of the index pad rather than the finger's edge.. The two middle fingers then naturally slide downward, changing the angle of the index just enough. Looks kinda dainty, but works for me.

birdkiller
02-01-15, 10:33
I would never put an oversize button or reduced power mag release spring on a serious weapon. If you're having difficulty manipulating your mag release under pressure, train more.

Exactly. It's not hard to rotate the gun and hit the mag release on any of the common firearms being used. If you seriously think you can't reload quickly with your Glock/M&P/etc. it's probably your fault, not the gun. Go check out some production or SSP shooters and tell me they can't reload quickly with their stock weapon.

opmike
02-01-15, 13:55
Exactly. It's not hard to rotate the gun and hit the mag release on any of the common firearms being used. If you seriously think you can't reload quickly with your Glock/M&P/etc. it's probably your fault, not the gun. Go check out some production or SSP shooters and tell me they can't reload quickly with their stock weapon.

People adding enhancements/additions to their firearms isn't always a matter of, "Will this gun work with with this addition or not?"

A great deal of this stuff just comes down to personal preference, so I don't understand why people get so dogmatic about it. My third gen Glocks get Vickers mag catches. My Vickers mag catches have brought about 0 negative side effects and they allow me slightly mag release engagement. That's it. I'm not trying to act like it will shave half a second of my reload time.

"If you can't properly grip your gun without stippling, you need to train more."

"If three dot sights are such a problem for you, you need to train more."

"If you're getting hammer bite/slide bite, you need to learn how to hold your gun."

These types of discussions get so goddamned tedious, I'm not sure why I even bother at this point. Some people absolutely try to use their wallets to fix training issues, but let's exercise a little logic here and assume that everyone isn't a complete moron.

birdkiller
02-01-15, 18:32
Some people absolutely try to use their wallets to fix training issues, but let's exercise a little logic here assume that everyone isn't a complete moron.

Not sure if that was all directed at me, but I'm going to reply anyways:

This thread is about the speed of your carry gun's magazine release. I assumed that was stock, and not trying to throw money at it. All I'm saying is that if your stock carry gun's magazine release is "slow" and that you can't reach it without switching your grip, then I really don't think it's the guns fault. These kind of statements make me think you're not very knowledgeable on how to use a pistol, don't know the capabilities you have if you train, and are ignorant to what the skilled shooters can do with their guns, which is why I addressed it like I did.

I use vickers parts too, not because my mag changes are slow without it, but they're just faster. I like them. But I can run my guns with stock parts too.

Hmac
02-01-15, 18:39

No. It's not a problem.

Ron3
02-02-15, 00:18
I'm certainly very hesitant to change anything but the sights on a Glock.

Psalms144.1
02-02-15, 08:30
I'm certainly very hesitant to change anything but the sights on a Glock.Why? I understand not wanting to change to aftermarket trigger parts, especially on a carry pistol, but what do you think will happen if you change the magazine release?

glocktogo
02-02-15, 11:53
The one thing I've changed on my carry 19 besides the sights, undercutting the trigger guard and a relief cut behind the shortened mag catch, is a stainless guide rod with a stiffer recoil spring. My carry ammo is RA9TA the gun cycles this hot ammo more smoothly with a slightly stiffer than stock spring.

MountainRaven
02-02-15, 16:40
Why? I understand not wanting to change to aftermarket trigger parts, especially on a carry pistol, but what do you think will happen if you change the magazine release?

Maybe he doesn't see a reason to do anything more than that?

For me, it's sights then Vickers slide lock. I can live without the Vickers magazine catch, but I'd rather not have to. Then comes the grip plug and base plates. At that point, I'm done with the basic pistol. Anything more and I'm sending it off to ATEi or Salient for a complete work-over: Trigger, comet-cut, stippling, trigger guard undercuts (I like both), forward cocking serrations, slide-top cocking serrations, &c. I digress.

The Vickers magazine release makes life a little bit easier. More than you'd think. Not as big a difference as the slide lock does, IMHO.

As for my guns' magazine release? It's as easy as it needs to be and as fast as I can make it. The limiting factors are me, myself, and I. Not the pistol. Unless we're talking about a pistol with a heel-style magazine release, like an old P210, I'm not very concerned about how fast the gun can be run.

MGWS
02-02-15, 17:52
I switch between a hk vp9, glock 19, and a s&w shield depending on the weather/mood. I notice that if I'm carrying/training with the vp9 that I tend to forget to rotate my shield/glock 19 to hit the mag release for mag changes. What has helped me is doing 5 to 10 mag changes with whatever I'm carrying that day for muscle memory. I wish they all had paddle releases cause it seems to be smoother for me, ymmv. On a side note, I'm still trying to remember to relocate my right thumb so I don't engage the slide release on the vp9 (hard habit to break after many years of glocks). After a few different aftermarket mag/slide releases on the glock I've gone back to stock cause I've noticed no discernible difference in ease of operation. However, there may be a slight difference in time but I'm not advanced/hsld to notice it and I'm not racing a shot timer.

MegademiC
02-02-15, 21:20

Define, shift your hand. The mag release is away from your hand so it doesn't drop during fire.

I twist the gun to bring the mag release to my thumb, but it in no way compromises my retention of the gun, or slows my reload.

02-03-15, 12:39
The mag release on my SIG P225 is quite easy to use. Good thing as it is an 8+1 pistol. I had an early CZ P-07 that ran great but, the mag would stick in the well during a speed reload. Everything else OK but this was unacceptable to me so out it went.

Ron3
02-05-15, 08:35
Define, shift your hand. The mag release is away from your hand so it doesn't drop during fire.

I twist the gun to bring the mag release to my thumb, but it in no way compromises my retention of the gun, or slows my reload.

Two methods. One is as you describe. Doesn't feel that secure with sweaty hands. (Florida) The other way I sometimes do it is to rotate the gun up a little, put my RH forefinger on the front of the trigger guard, and use my RH middle finger to press the mag release.

It's a little faster for me to do it this way but I don't think either method is ideal.

As was said the glock extended release is too long. A little too easy to press by accident and I still have to shift my grip to use it. I haven't swapped sides on my gen4 but I plan to give that a try.

Sparky5019
02-05-15, 08:42
I punch all my Gen 3 frames for the Lone Wolf mag release. Bevel the sides a bit and it's very comfortable and easy to reach. It sicks out just enough that you can get to it witout shifting your grip.

Abraham
02-05-15, 11:04
I have an extended magazine release on my gen 3 Glock 19 (because the stock release was a bear to use) and have never experienced a magazine accidentally released.

I've been carrying it and shooting it for many, many years.

HCrum87hc
02-06-15, 12:18
As I carry the Walther PPQ mod 1 and PPS, the mag release is super easy. I absolutely love the trigger guard mag releases. They're extremely natural and easy to manipulate without having to adjust your hand.

montrala
02-07-15, 17:29
I will join the choir. I carry HK P2000SK and always liked mag release there, but since I replaced original mag release with one from HK45C it is super easy and fast. And no chances to drop mag by pushing on something by side of pistol, while holstered (seen that happen).

Ron3
02-09-15, 13:22
To update:

I reversed the mag release on my gen 4 G32.

I watched a four minute video about how to do it. I could have saved four minutes because it only took ten to swap it around! It will take five minutes if I ever do it again. Easy!

It's MUCH better for me! I found that using the middle finger of my shooting hand mag changes are easier and I get back on target faster. I can focus more on getting the new mag out, oriented, and inserted properly without concerning about my shifting grip on the weapon.

It all adds up to mag changes being more "automatic" with practice and keeping our brains oriented on dealing with the threat instead of on gear.

Wolvee
02-09-15, 18:11
I only carry P30's, P2000's and Hk45's so I can't speak much about standard mag releases anymore. For speed or easability I would think the paddle release has the advantage. When I carried Glocks I hadn't had much training.

montrala
02-10-15, 03:45
It's MUCH better for me! I found that using the middle finger of my shooting hand mag changes are easier and I get back on target faster.

There is also other benfit. To reach mag release with middle finger (either on push button or paddle), you naturally straighten trigger finger (this is how hand works). That means no worry on AD during mag change. I witnessed people who, while pressing button by thumb under stress at same time twitched trigger finger (also natural movement - thumb and index finger work like pincers) and ... boom!

Wolvee
02-10-15, 08:16
I will join the choir. I carry HK P2000SK and always liked mag release there, but since I replaced original mag release with one from HK45C it is super easy and fast. And no chances to drop mag by pushing on something by side of pistol, while holstered (seen that happen).
I wouldn't say no chance.

I've done that 3 times with my SK and a kaluban cloak OWB holster. Getting into my F-150 the seatbelt catch hits the mag release. (This could be a holster design problem although I've only ever carried the Sk in a completely different type of holster so I can't really compare. None of my Ravens and Hk's have ever had any issues like this.)

The first time the it just ejected but stayed in the gun. The second time it fell out of the seat as I got out of the truck. The third time it came out and wedged itself in the seat after a long drive.

I have never had it happen with any of my other Hk's with even larger mag release paddles. The SK is very tight and crisp so there's no fault with the function.

Pics for reference.

The mag release is slightly lower than the holsters width.
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w405/Wolvee/My%20Guns/15-11_zpsc40bd631.jpg
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w405/Wolvee/My%20Guns/15-2_zps2ec7ad40.jpg
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w405/Wolvee/My%20Guns/15-12_zpsa5e141c3.jpg

montrala
02-11-15, 03:35
I wouldn't say no chance.

I had in mind that I seen it with pistols with push button (to point fingers -> Glock with extended mag release).

BUT

I had a car accident when I went off the road over ditch into field that was some 1-1,5m lower that road and rolled over twice. I hit left side pillar and doors very hard (could not move my shoulder for few weeks) on my holster side. When I left whatever left from my car (BTW passenger compartment in E46 BMW is really strong, everything else was total mess, Police did not recognize car make on arrival) I found out that magazine in my P2000 was not locked inside mag well. Pistol was in leather pancake OWB holster for P99 (no dedicated P2000 holsters here at this time). Magazine did not fall from pistol. I could not replicate this or did not found out how it happened that magazine slipped from mag catch.

bighawk
02-14-15, 00:07
My G19 has aftermarket work done to it.. A small scooped out area around the mag release makes it easier to get my thumb on without really breaking my grip. I've never had any problems with mag coming unseated while carrying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evnash
02-15-15, 18:36
no issues with my M&P Shield release

slapshot
02-17-15, 09:21
My M&P 9c works as well as any. I'm hoping that if I have to use it, I'll never get in a situation where I have to change mags.

Ron3
02-24-15, 12:42
After handling a buddies G35 the other day I decided to get Glock brand extended mag release and slide stop/release's for my Gen 3 G19's.

If the mag release is too long I'll reduce it. If the slide stop causes stoppages via hitting my thumbs I'll swap them back out.

Years back I briefly had a G34 and G35 and didn't have any issues, other than the sights.

I haven't been out with the extended Glock 19 parts yet.

The only other improvement my G19 will need is grip tape because the Gen 4 spoiled me...but that's another topic.

samuse
02-24-15, 14:49

Same here. I can't think of an un-embarrassing time to have a loaded Glock mag fall out of my shirt.