PDA

View Full Version : Gold Bead on a Beretta 92G?

RAM Engineer
01-29-15, 14:39
I've become a fan of gold bead front sights in the last few years. I was wondering if anyone can put one on a Beretta 92G fixed front sight. So far Novak and Wilson say "no", and ToolTech hasn't responded yet.

PD Sgt.
01-29-15, 15:52
Did you ask Wilson if they could mill out a dovetail for a bead sight? If they are not able to, maybe one of the other custom smiths would be able to. It would probably be a bit spendy, but it may be the only way to get a gold bead in there.

PGT
01-29-15, 16:00
a normal 92G has a fixed front sight. A competent gunsmith should be able to mill out the "dot" a bit more and secure a brass bead. Worst case, a threaded bead post for a shot gun can be placed there after carefully drilling and tapping it. I'm by no means a gunsmith but I'd feel 100% comfortable trying that myself with the basic tools I've got.

edit - lots of options here: http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/sights/front-sights/sight-beads-prod1886.aspx

RAM Engineer
01-29-15, 22:38
a normal 92G has a fixed front sight. A competent gunsmith should be able to mill out the "dot" a bit more and secure a brass bead. Worst case, a threaded bead post for a shot gun can be placed there after carefully drilling and tapping it. I'm by no means a gunsmith but I'd feel 100% comfortable trying that myself with the basic tools I've got.

edit - lots of options here: http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/sights/front-sights/sight-beads-prod1886.aspx

Most shotgun beads are way too big to be used as a front sight bead. I've contacted the three companies that I know of that either, a. drill a 92 front sight for tritium or fiber optics, or, b. make gold bead front sights. So far I've gotten 2 negative responses and I'm waiting and hoping ToolTech comes through for me. Burwell gunsmithing made me a gold bead front sight for a M&P years ago, but I think he only works on M&P's now.

Did you ask Wilson if they could mill out a dovetail for a bead sight? If they are not able to, maybe one of the other custom smiths would be able to. It would probably be a bit spendy, but it may be the only way to get a gold bead in there.

I don't believe anyone has been able to mill a fixed sight 92-series slide for a dovetail as of yet. Not enough metal in the area.

RAM Engineer
02-03-15, 10:08
FYI, Tool Tech said they could do this.

My plan: Send slide to Wilson for their rear sight, with proper "POI on top of front sight blade" sight picture, then send slide to Tool Tech for gold bead installation.

Pappabear
02-03-15, 21:41
FYI, Tool Tech said they could do this.

My plan: Send slide to Wilson for their rear sight, with proper "POI on top of front sight blade" sight picture, then send slide to Tool Tech for gold bead installation.

I wanted a regular white dot / night site but Wilson didn't offer. So I bagged it and kept the M9 sights. I like the gold bead. Good luck.

ShipWreck
02-08-15, 18:29
Never seen that on a Beretta 92 before. Post up pics if you get it done

HCM
02-08-15, 20:40
This should be a nice set up. If your original plan falls through, I would contact Novaks. They've done custom gold bead front sites for a variety of guns including Smith & Wesson revolver's.

RAM Engineer
02-09-15, 06:16
This should be a nice set up. If your original plan falls through, I would contact Novaks. They've done custom gold bead front sites for a variety of guns including Smith & Wesson revolver's.

Re-read my first post.