PDA

View Full Version : Alright guys n gals. Need sugesstions.

akuser47
01-29-15, 16:43
Now that I have a new DDM4V5 with a 1 by 7 barrel twist. I know heavier the better I have a 2 thousand of radway green m855, a total of 1500 of federal m855 and a pile of projectiles from 62 grain steel core to 77 grain match. Just wondering what powders work well. I have varget, IMR3031, benchmark, tightgroup. Any of these perform decent with 62 grain or heavier?
I've been shooting and reloading long range with my remington 700 for a long while. Just hoping to cut a corner to save some costs. Before I have to fully taylor a round to her.

.46caliber
01-29-15, 20:00
I've minimal experience with Varget but due to the stick extrusion, the case gets quite full for those longer projectiles. And it does not meter well out of the RCBS Chargemasters I use. I'm setting it aside for a future .308.

Can't speak with first hand knowledge to the others on your list. I use and like Win748 and Hodgdon's BLC-2, and H335 for future reference.

I'd start with the Benchmark or 3031. You won't find .223 data for Titegroup.

ETA: CFE223 is on my short list to try with the Barnes TSX line.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

akuser47
01-29-15, 20:03
Yea they mostly have been used for my .308. I figured I would need some new powder.

markm
01-29-15, 20:18
Benchmark is best for me with 55 gr bullets or lighter. 3031 might work. Varget makes little sense to me for .223. It works good, but there's much better metering powders that work every bit as good.

If you have access to any XBR, you could pick up some of that. It's common around here. Works good across the board from 55s to 77s.

akuser47
01-29-15, 20:23
I'm not concerned with metering I load slow with a lee single stage. Just looking for what's been used with 1 by 7 twists in bullet weights of 62 grain or heavier.

Live free, Ride free, Or die fighting for the Right to do so!

akuser47
01-29-15, 20:25
Range sessions with this gun will average 50 rounds or less. Maybe twice a month. One of these days I'll get a lee 4 hole turret.

markm
01-30-15, 09:43
Varget will do fine then. If you get into light bullets, a faster powder like Benchmark is better.

akuser47
01-30-15, 11:22
Thanks mark all my research showed varget as a decent starting point. So now range time hopefully next week.

Onyx Z
01-30-15, 12:08
Yep, Varget for the heavy stuff and Benchmark for the lighter stuff. If you have Varget, use it. But if you can find some XBR, for me it performs nearly the same as Varget WITH 77gr SMK's, but meters much better. YMMV of course.

markm
01-30-15, 12:25
I like H322, but if I had to go with just one powder for all .223 ammo, It'd be XBR.

sva01
02-04-15, 16:51
So guys, I'm on the other end of the equation. I have access to a bunch of different powders via my buddy who also has all the reloading equipment. He has helped me work up a couple hunting loads with Barnes TSX that show good results if I do my part.
I'm now thinking about trying to find a less expensive bullet to use strictly for bench range sessions from 100 out to 300. I'm happy with the Barnes for hunting but imagine I could spend less for a paper-puncher bullet.
I appreciate any input...

sva01
02-04-15, 16:52
double post

.46caliber
02-04-15, 17:30
So guys, I'm on the other end of the equation. I have access to a bunch of different powders via my buddy who also has all the reloading equipment. He has helped me work up a couple hunting loads with Barnes TSX that show good results if I do my part.
I'm now thinking about trying to find a less expensive bullet to use strictly for bench range sessions from 100 out to 300. I'm happy with the Barnes for hunting but imagine I could spend less for a paper-puncher bullet.

Hornady 75gr BTHP or Sierra 77gr SMK are my first thoughts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Onyx Z
02-04-15, 20:22

69gr SMK or 77gr SMK if you're feeling frosty.

akuser47
02-05-15, 19:16
If you live in the USA buy some surplus pulled 62 grain bullets. They are not match kings but are hard to beat for their price. I've been useing pulled bullets in my .308 for years saved alot of cash and accuracy was fine for general plinking.