PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Quick Trickle

STAMarine
01-30-15, 09:01
Thus far, I have relied on the scale that came with my Hornady Lock N Load kit. I am to the point that I simply can't trust the scale. It constantly loses tare, loses zero, and really doesn't seem to weigh consistently.

I had my heart set on getting a RCBS Chargemaster to rectify the situation. I was looking for accuracy, and more speed that my current dipper method. However, after reading reviews for it, it seems as if it might not be much faster, and some have had accuracy problems.

So, now I'm thinking of getting a more accurate scale and using the quick trickle. Maybe this method will cure my problems. Has anyone used a quick trickle? Any thoughts on the quick trickle specifically and using it in this manner generally?

ralph
01-30-15, 09:44
Thus far, I have relied on the scale that came with my Hornady Lock N Load kit. I am to the point that I simply can't trust the scale. It constantly loses tare, loses zero, and really doesn't seem to weigh consistently.

I had my heart set on getting a RCBS Chargemaster to rectify the situation. I was looking for accuracy, and more speed that my current dipper method. However, after reading reviews for it, it seems as if it might not be much faster, and some have had accuracy problems.

So, now I'm thinking of getting a more accurate scale and using the quick trickle. Maybe this method will cure my problems. Has anyone used a quick trickle? Any thoughts on the quick trickle specifically and using it in this manner generally?

I have two digital scales in my basement on my bench which I no longer use for the reasons you stated, A balance beam scale with a powder trickler should do what you want, set your scale for about 2 grains less than what you want, and trickle the rest in. The downside is, it's time consuming, but if you're looking to reduce as many variables as possible, this should work. I've pretty much came full circle on the balance beam scales, IMO they're better than digital, they don't need batteries, don't drift, lose zero, they work every time. I'm not going back to digital.

markm
01-30-15, 09:47
I've never had any issues with the scale on the Chargemaster. The trickler is what can make you nuts some days. It'll be trying to drop a few kernals, and a big clump will fall into the dish. But it's still a huge leap forward from hand dipping.

STAMarine
01-30-15, 10:06
I just want something I can trust. I'm not experienced enough to load for precision yet, but that's where I'm headed. The scale I have just ain't it. Markm, I know you load for precision. Do you trust the Chargmaster for precision loading. Buy once, cry once. I want whatever I decide on to carry me through.

Ralph, are you using the quick trickle? Do you dip? You said set it for a couple of grains short but what method are you using to throw your initial charge.

I do want to speed things up over my current dipping, but speed isn't my main concern. Accuracy is. I'm using a single stage and it'll be a long while before I upgrade. Would I be just as fast with a Quick Trickle as an automatic? I can see how just pushing a button would be easier, but how fast is a Chargemaster? I'm weighing my options.

markm
01-30-15, 10:42
Yeah. I trust the Chargemaster. You can tell when you zero out the pan after you calibrate. It's always the same or within a tenth of a grain. If it wanders to 2 tenths off the pan weight, I'll recalibrate. But that's rare.

STAMarine
01-30-15, 12:12
Yeah. I trust the Chargemaster. You can tell when you zero out the pan after you calibrate. It's always the same or within a tenth of a grain. If it wanders to 2 tenths off the pan weight, I'll recalibrate. But that's rare.

Now I'm thinking about the Chargemaster again. So much to learn!

markm
01-30-15, 12:28
The chargemaster will mess with your emotions some days.... Throwing metering 1 and 2 tenths over. Especially with Varget. I've become a master as trickling off a few kernals to true the charge back up.

But 1/10th on a 76.0 gr 300WM round gets loaded. 1/10th on a smaller charge gets trued up because I'm anal.

STAMarine
01-30-15, 13:47
The chargemaster will mess with your emotions some days.... Throwing metering 1 and 2 tenths over. Especially with Varget. I've become a master as trickling off a few kernals to true the charge back up.

But 1/10th on a 76.0 gr 300WM round gets loaded. 1/10th on a smaller charge gets trued up because I'm anal.

As I said, I'm not good enough to load for precision yet, but when I do, what is good enough? How much does .1 gr make? Do I need something that measures more precisely than .1 gr?

T2C
01-30-15, 13:59
As I said, I'm not good enough to load for precision yet, but when I do, what is good enough? How much does .1 gr make? Do I need something that measures more precisely than .1 gr?

I don't believe you will find anything that measures closer than 0.1g. If you find the accuracy node of your cartridge, +/- 0.1g from the node won't hurt anything.

markm
01-30-15, 14:03

.1 has been just fine for us. I know some of the lunatics on the benchrest style forums try to go crazy. But I find that you can load really good ammo and still skip a lot of the insanity they like... weighing brass, turning necks, reaming flash holes, etc.