PDA

View Full Version : Any shed hunters here?

MBtech
01-30-15, 14:14
It's about that time bucks will start to shed antlers. What strategies do you guys use to find them? If you don't use dogs what ways do you have the best luck? (other than wondering around the woods getting lucky) What are "hot spots" to look for?

If you do use dogs what breeds and best ways to train them?

TXBK
01-30-15, 15:13
I just look in front of my tires as I drive through the pasture. If I don't do that I can look in my tires.

MBtech
01-30-15, 15:33
I just look in front of my tires as I drive through the pasture. If I don't do that I can look in my tires.

Thanks for the warning for my tires:lol:

MBtech
03-14-15, 16:08

Found one but the squirrels beat me to it. Was in a bedding area in a thick cedar patch. He's going to grow into a nice buck.

bjxds
03-16-15, 19:21
I just look as I walk through the woods, looking for rubs, trails, other deer sign...... I may have missed during deer season. After the season I like to get out and shoot some crows, I also keep an eye out when scouting for spring gobbler.

The dogs look like they would be a lot of fun, but don't have one.

MBtech
03-16-15, 19:34
I did get some good advice from a relative recently. Look around crossing points on fence lines. As the antlers become loose the jolt from the landing hopping over a fence can make them fall off.

Berserkr556
03-16-15, 21:18
I have found them everywhere from thickets to known bedding areas from out in the woods to the middle of a crop field.. When I first started looking as a teen the old timers had all kinds of stories about where you had to look. As the years rolled on I found that shed antlers could be found anywhere. I was looking for a little while today because I know a couple big bucks made it through the hunting season and winter but I didn't find any.

masan
03-18-15, 19:35
I tend to find them when I go morel hunting, unless they are dropped in one of the fields... then it seems like my tractor tires find them

MBtech
03-18-15, 19:59
I tend to find them when I go morel hunting

I like that idea. I haven't been mushroom hunting in years, I just find a few during spring turkey season here and there but I love eating them.

masan
03-19-15, 09:39
Don't get me started on spring turkey, it is my absolute favorite time of the year, there is nothing like trying to take a turkey with a bow.

Berserkr556
03-19-15, 13:50
Indeed! I love woods and the look on people's faces when they see me with a big tom I took with a wood bow and wood arrows. I also like spring turkey hunting with a flintlock 20 ga fowler. As mentioned above turkey season is a good time for shed and mushroom hunting as well.

MBtech
03-19-15, 17:59
It's getting here soon! I haven't got into turkey hunting with a bow yet. Took a shot one year during fall archery season where deer and turkey overlap. Hit a branch and missed by a longshot. But a clean miss is better than a bad hit. Turkey season and mushrooms... well I have a story about that. My cousin and I were just doing some cuttn and runnin one day and struck up a gobbler near us. We hurry up and pick a couple trees to get up against and while we are calling to the birds waiting I hear "pssttt" and he's eyeballing back and forth at the ground. I started looking and I'll be damned if we didn't set down in the biggest patch of morels I've ever seen! I was calling for him that day, bird comes in full strut screaming his head off which my cousin ended up killing. THEN! We started filling up our turkey vests, pockets, hell we even took our shirts off and tied them in knots to use for bags to pack out mushrooms. That was a good day of hunting!

Usually the sheds I find in turkey season have unfortunately been half destroyed by critters by then. But that's part of it.