PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder...

JulyAZ
01-30-15, 17:33
Just saw this posted on Instagram, I thought it served as a friendly reminder to clear your weapons...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/30/bdb6017d89cbcc5eba1741987a008031.jpg

lunchbox
01-30-15, 17:55
Ouch!!

SteyrAUG
01-30-15, 18:05
If only there was something like a simple guideline for gun safety. Maybe three or four very simple rules that if strictly observed would prevent ALL gun tragedies, even those that are the result of mechanical failures.

Just a pipe dream I guess.

cbx
01-30-15, 18:07
The shit people do... I talked to a guy locally that shot himself in the upper leg last year, with a .45, was loaded with man killers naturally...... he didn't die. Didn't break his femur(upper?) Or the artery, went clean through, then ricochet off the chair right back into the thigh.....lucky lucky lucky......

So I asked him, "what exactly were you thinking? You ND'd into your leg while sitting down...?" He reply was I was cleaning it and went to pull trigger to disassemble. I wasn't thinking....had my mind elsewhere..."

It just so happened to be loaded...... broke every rule there ever was.

MistWolf
01-30-15, 18:13
If only there was something like a simple guideline for gun safety. Maybe three or four very simple rules that if strictly observed would prevent ALL gun tragedies, even those that are the result of mechanical failures.

Just a pipe dream I guess.

It could have been worse
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj300/Waggy911/P1010016-1.jpg

We need to be safe around ALL machines

GTF425
01-30-15, 18:17
I was in a room next to a Soldier who was cleaning his M4 after Skyping with his wife and finding out she wanted to divorce him. He wasn't focused on what he was doing, put a mag in after re-assembly, and went through a function check. Shot a round into the floor between his feet. His excuse? I couldn't think straight.

Most recently, a Soldier in my Company ND'd an M9 in his room doing **** all for I know. I just remember a shot going through his CHU wall and striking an I beam outside. His excuse? I didn't know it was loaded.

Steyr nailed it. Being a safe, responsible gun handler isn't hard. It just takes some self discipline and adherence to the rules of gun handling.

GTF425
01-30-15, 18:20
Still not as funny/pathetic as watching a female MP NCO clearing her M9 going into a chow hall and not dropping the mag. She got off three rounds in the barrel before some SFC came over and yanked the pistol out of her hands and explained in some of the most creative NCO-isms I've ever heard how stupid she was.

WickedWillis
01-30-15, 18:24
It could have been worse

Okay then.

CGSteve
01-30-15, 19:27
Can someone please explain to me what kind of machine is in the second picture and how something like that is possible?

Inkslinger
01-30-15, 19:38
Engine Lathe. Get something caught in a chuck going a couple thousand RPM's and go for a ride

Honu
01-30-15, 20:00
showing that hand is like showing a car wreck and saying dont text and drive ?

cant stop ignorance and stupidity sadly people get to complacent maybe

Kain
01-30-15, 20:03
Engine Lathe. Get something caught in a chuck going a couple thousand RPM's and go for a ride

Also do not wear rings while working on lathe. My parents know several people who, if lucky had rings yanks off and shot to parts unknown of the shop they worked in. Those who weren't.....

SteyrAUG
01-30-15, 21:01
It could have been worse

That had to be painful with time for regret.

SilverBullet432
01-30-15, 22:19
I have a cousin who accidentally shot his hand with a 38 derringer...

SteyrAUG
01-31-15, 02:35
I have a cousin who accidentally shot his hand with a 38 derringer...

I have a long time friend and student who is a bit into guns. Years ago he had a ND that resulted in an injury to another friend of his. A few years back I went shooting with him and was amazed at how complacent he was with firearm safety.

Whenever I'd correct him as he was "about" to fail muzzle control 101 he acted like I was nagging him. Really bothered me. He's one of an endless number of people who was never taught how to shoot responsibly with safety stressed and he basically learned "on his own."

This means among other things that if he believes a gun isn't loaded he can point it anywhere, more than a few times I've had to move the muzzle of the gun he was holding into a safer direction and he always gave me the same confused / quizzical look because "it isn't loaded."

He's now a grown up with kids so and remedial instruction opportunity is simply gone. He's set in his ways, really enjoys shooting and thinks my guns are seriously cool. He constantly wants me to get this gun or that gun for him but I actually worry about being the guy who gets a gun for him. I certainly don't want him to be unable to defend his family or home, but I also don't want to be the one who got him the gun "he had a tragedy with" due to complacency.

And when I do shoot with him, I don't really get to focus on my shooting, I spend all my time watching his muzzle direction.

MBtech
01-31-15, 03:07

Iraqgunz
01-31-15, 03:27
Once I take over as head of the BATF I am going to mandate that all homeowners have clearing barrels installed in their homes.

Leaveammoforme
01-31-15, 03:50
Delete

williejc
01-31-15, 05:44
A local cop had a ND while reholstering his Glock. He had keys in his gun hand, and they contacted the trigger as he pushed the pistol into his holster. This event took place at the jail after he retrieved the Glock from the outside safe box.

7.62WildBill
01-31-15, 06:19
Last year, a local cop had a ND spinning his Glock around his trigger finger like a Wild West gunfighter in the parking lot at a shopping mall while talking to another officer. Fortunately, only his cruiser was damaged and he is no longer an officer.

Moose-Knuckle
01-31-15, 08:04
Also do not wear rings while working on lathe. My parents know several people who, if lucky had rings yanks off and shot to parts unknown of the shop they worked in. Those who weren't.....

My wife use to get pissed at me when I told her that I don't like wearing a wedding band while at work (law enforcement). Of course she immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was for the ladies. Yeah right, my ring is titanium and I don’t want to lose the digit it is attached to as my flesh and bone will give long before the titanium.

True story, a local department had one of their LEOs in a foot pursuit with a subject. Both of them went up and over a dumpster in an alley way. As the LEO was coming down his wedding band caught one of the corners of the dumpster as his hand slid behind him, once the LEO’s weight and basic physics came into play his left ring finger was literally torn from his hand.

A former colleague of mine was in a handcuffing course when he was with the Panamanian Defense Forces. A guy in his class had the single strand/ratchet on a cuff go between his ring finger and his wedding band as another class mate was attempting to cuff him during a simulated resisting arrest scenario. The dude’s finger was nearly torn clean off his hand and it dangled by some flesh.

Here is a good alternative . . .

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/11/25/qalo-offering-new-silicone-ring-colors/

lunchbox
01-31-15, 09:21
Here is a good alternative . . .

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/11/25/qalo-offering-new-silicone-ring-colors/Thanks for posting! I'm a Machinist and jewelry is discouraged, but this doesn't help the wife understand tho. This item might ease the ol lady up off my back about not wearing wedding ring. So ya, I'll cough up $20 for that. Thanks again.

SilverBullet432
01-31-15, 11:50
My dad has a .22 lodged in his chest. ND from a jackass friend back when the were 16. He nearly lost consciousness after a 3 hour ride to the nearest hospital.

exkc135driver
02-02-15, 09:37
I have a long time friend and student who is a bit into guns. Years ago he had a ND that resulted in an injury to another friend of his. A few years back I went shooting with him and was amazed at how complacent he was with firearm safety.

Whenever I'd correct him as he was "about" to fail muzzle control 101 he acted like I was nagging him. Really bothered me. He's one of an endless number of people who was never taught how to shoot responsibly with safety stressed and he basically learned "on his own."

This means among other things that if he believes a gun isn't loaded he can point it anywhere, more than a few times I've had to move the muzzle of the gun he was holding into a safer direction and he always gave me the same confused / quizzical look because "it isn't loaded."

He's now a grown up with kids so and remedial instruction opportunity is simply gone. He's set in his ways, really enjoys shooting and thinks my guns are seriously cool. He constantly wants me to get this gun or that gun for him but I actually worry about being the guy who gets a gun for him. I certainly don't want him to be unable to defend his family or home, but I also don't want to be the one who got him the gun "he had a tragedy with" due to complacency.

And when I do shoot with him, I don't really get to focus on my shooting, I spend all my time watching his muzzle direction.

I wouldn't EVER shoot with him again. But it's your life, not mine. And I wouldn't make any straw purchases for him, either.

markm
02-02-15, 09:51
Thanks for posting! I'm a Machinist and jewelry is discouraged, but this doesn't help the wife understand tho. This item might ease the ol lady up off my back about not wearing wedding ring. So ya, I'll cough up $20 for that. Thanks again.

Yeah. Those are cool looking. I'm going to grab one too.

steyrman13
02-02-15, 12:20
Yeah. Those are cool looking. I'm going to grab one too.

I tried one and didn't care for it. The sticky silicone made it difficult to put my hand in my pocket to grab keys or wallets. Similar to phone case that are too sticky making it difficult to put in and out of pockets.

Averageman
02-02-15, 13:14
I've seen a lot of accidents with weapons over the years and more than a few fingers lost to machinery. Nearly every time it is a combination of being in a hurry, not following safety rules and someone just thinking it can't happen to me.

markm
02-02-15, 14:20
I tried one and didn't care for it. The sticky silicone made it difficult to put my hand in my pocket to grab keys or wallets. Similar to phone case that are too sticky making it difficult to put in and out of pockets.

Ah... I hate that. But for $20, I still may give one a try.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-02-15, 14:37
Thanks for posting! I'm a Machinist and jewelry is discouraged, but this doesn't help the wife understand tho. This item might ease the ol lady up off my back about not wearing wedding ring. So ya, I'll cough up $20 for that. Thanks again.

That linked mentioned "degloving". Having never heard of that, I decided to google image it. I now regret that.

brickboy240
02-02-15, 14:41
There is something to be said for making it a habit to not only make a visual into the ejection port to ensure an empty chamber but to stick your finger in to feel the empty chamber....is there not?

SteyrAUG
02-02-15, 14:54
I wouldn't EVER shoot with him again. But it's your life, not mine. And I wouldn't make any straw purchases for him, either.

Well first things first. He's not a convicted felon so any gun I sold him would be legal and he'd pass a background check. So there is no reason to wave the "straw purchase" flag at all. He can walk into any gun shop he wants and buy anything. Of course he wants to order from me so he can get one at cost. The issue here isn't eligibility, it's more a case of I'm not sure I want to be the one who sold him a gun that he might have an accident with.

As to the other matter, I've already stated I don't really enjoy shooting with him because it becomes a babysitting operation that he doesn't learn anything from and only finds annoying. Thankfully he doesn't really have money for ammo lately so it's been solving itself. The problem is, despite his firearm negligence, he's a long time friend.

SteyrAUG
02-02-15, 15:04
There is something to be said for making it a habit to not only make a visual into the ejection port to ensure an empty chamber but to stick your finger in to feel the empty chamber....is there not?

That was an early wake up call for me.

From an early age I was taught to open the action and check the chamber. And I did this diligently. Unfortunately I relied on the extractor to show me if there was anything in there. Not everyone, especially outdoors, makes an effort to peer into those dark chambers and visually verify it is clear.

In high school I went shooting and somebody handed me their old beat up Italian 9mm handgun and I pulled the slide, it locked open. I pulled the mag and it was empty and I sorta peeked in and didn't see anything that looked like shiny brass or a primer so I inserted the empty magazine and dropped the slide and packed up the handgun.

Got to the range, unpacked and got ready to shoot. Loaded the magazine on that handgun and dropped the open slide and it locked up. Suspecting a misfeed I dropped the magazine and the first round feel clear. Upon very close inspection I noticed a very tarnished round sitting in the chamber. Vigorously racking the slide several times finally ejected a very dark brown LIVE round. It then dawned on me that I packed and handled a loaded gun the entire time. Really glad I didn't give the trigger a try.

After that the words "visually inspect the chamber" took on a deeper meaning.

Moose-Knuckle
02-02-15, 23:55
That linked mentioned "degloving". Having never heard of that, I decided to google image it. I now regret that.

LOL, what ever you don't image search Krokodil . . . :bad:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-03-15, 00:07
LOL, what ever you don't image search Krokodil . . . :bad:

Ive personally dealt with a Krokodil user. That was a triple-glove pat down….

Moose-Knuckle
02-03-15, 00:24
Ive personally dealt with a Krokodil user. That was a triple-glove pat down….

Damn, haven't heard of any users stateside. Our narcotic task force guys told me that their DEA contact said the cooks can't obtain the ingredients here. Its cheap in E Europe for this reason.

Mr blasty
02-03-15, 00:45
Damn, haven't heard of any users stateside. Our narcotic task force guys told me that their DEA contact said the cooks can't obtain the ingredients here. Its cheap in E Europe for this reason.

It's not common at all but the occasional retard gives it a go. The Internet sensation it caused caused a few more dipshits to give it a go. The ingredients are absolutely attainable here and with little difficulty. It's just codine, phosphorus and some solvents cooked up in about 15 minutes over a hot plate. It's said that the stench it makes cooking it is unforgettably bad. The reason it became popular in Siberia is because heroine is difficult to get and expensive there (unlike here where people have substantially more money and it's much easier to get). Junkies needing there fix turned to crokadil. It resembles another drug that's safe and used by doctors. Codine is unregulated and sold over the counter in Russia hence it's popularity there. It's actually more painful and potentially leathal to quit crokadil than it is to continue using it knowing that your dead in about 4 years or less and that you're body is rotting away from necrosis. People would rather die than deal with giving it up and it's not because they enjoy it. At that point the drug has won and it's time to say goodbye because your fate is already decided. People who turn to crokadil are already to far down the rabbit hole to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-03-15, 01:22

Had a gentleman in a large county in Colorado, received CIAC U//LES notice in 2014 regarding the gentleman we had in custody…

Numerous reported "krokodil" cases in the US, many in the St Louis area. It's not a widespread drug, and many of the symptoms are akin to flesh eating viruses. Our gentleman was missing flesh and tissue from his radius/ulna and told us it was "crocodile."

exkc135driver
02-03-15, 02:00
Well first things first. He's not a convicted felon so any gun I sold him would be legal and he'd pass a background check. So there is no reason to wave the "straw purchase" flag at all. He can walk into any gun shop he wants and buy anything. Of course he wants to order from me so he can get one at cost. The issue here isn't eligibility, it's more a case of I'm not sure I want to be the one who sold him a gun that he might have an accident with.

As to the other matter, I've already stated I don't really enjoy shooting with him because it becomes a babysitting operation that he doesn't learn anything from and only finds annoying. Thankfully he doesn't really have money for ammo lately so it's been solving itself. The problem is, despite his firearm negligence, he's a long time friend.

Sorry, didn't know that you're in the business. As to the other issue ... after one or two incidents many years ago where total morons demonstrated their utter lack of both safe gun handling skills and any consideration whatsoever for the safety of others, I decided to be picky about those whom I choose to accompany me to the range. I prefer to hear stories about unsafe gun-handling practices rather than experience them in person.

williejc
02-03-15, 08:55
I have observed that the unsafe gun handler learned these bad habits at an early age, and since he has not yet killed anybody, this person continues to display reckless behavior. Being corrected annoys him because he disagrees with the other guy's message. The only solution for the other guy is to avoid shooting with the fool. He ain't going to change.

SteyrAUG
02-03-15, 14:12
Sorry, didn't know that you're in the business. As to the other issue ... after one or two incidents many years ago where total morons demonstrated their utter lack of both safe gun handling skills and any consideration whatsoever for the safety of others, I decided to be picky about those whom I choose to accompany me to the range. I prefer to hear stories about unsafe gun-handling practices rather than experience them in person.

On that we agree. You might like my FB page on the subject.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Four-Simple-Rules/237267769814095

SteyrAUG
02-03-15, 14:15
I have observed that the unsafe gun handler learned these bad habits at an early age, and since he has not yet killed anybody, this person continues to display reckless behavior. Being corrected annoys him because he disagrees with the other guy's message. The only solution for the other guy is to avoid shooting with the fool. He ain't going to change.

That has been my observation as well. We can call it the James Yeager factor.