PDA

View Full Version : Heavier recoil springs in G17?

Bruce in WV
01-31-15, 09:03
GlockStore offers 20 and 22lb recoil springs for the G17. I shoot 147gr GD and HS loads for self defense and want to know if these heavier springs will function reliably while allowing me to get back on target quicker for follow-up shots.

I'm looking for input from folks who have actually experimented with the heavier springs and have practical experience with them.

I know these springs can cause cycling problems with lighter loads, so I'll keep the OEM spring in my range bag for those days I'm shooting 115gr white box ammo.

Thanks

YVK
01-31-15, 09:35
In a world where people are preoccupied with quick follow up shots (competition), a generally accepted practice is to go with the lightest recoil springs that don't cause reliability issues. Sounds counterintuitive, but that's what people came up with after testing, filming in slo mo, and timing themselves.

Bruce in WV
01-31-15, 09:44
...that's what people came up with after testing, filming in slo mo, and timing themselves.

Thank you. That's a very useful response.

teutonicpolymer
01-31-15, 09:57
The stock spring is already 17lb which is arguably overkill so short answer is I would not buy a heavier spring

Bruce in WV
01-31-15, 10:21
The stock spring is already 17lb which is arguably overkill...

They also offer 11, 13 and 15# springs. Would you go with less?

mizer67
01-31-15, 14:10
Heavier springs than stock will soak up a little more recoil from the firing cycle, however, when the slide slams shut it causes the pistol to dip down, slowing the follow up shot, not speeding it up.

As previously mentioned, a lighter spring is preferable. The downside being you're on the hairy edge of reliability once you get to 13 lbs. with the stock striker spring. You can run a 15 lb. spring without issue, in my experience, with stock fire control parts. It helps a little, but not as much as a 13.

I personally wouldn't run anything lighter than a 15 lb. spring in a defensive gun though and run stock springs for anything I carry.

Bruce in WV
01-31-15, 15:17
Good info and advice. I appreciate the help.

msstate56
01-31-15, 15:55
I run a 13 lb ISMI on a steel guide rod in my competition G17. It runs great, and the recoil push is noticeably lighter vs the stock spring. I've had no issues through thousands of rounds of 115, 124, and 147 grain ammo. I would be more than willing to trust my life on its reliability.

samuse
01-31-15, 21:36
I accidentally put a 13lb Wolff in a stock 17 a few years ago and it wouldn't run.

I would stay with stock 17lb. They run fine with 'em.

Singlestack Wonder
01-31-15, 22:30
Unless one is playing gun games with lighter loads, there is no valid reason to switch out the factory 17# spring.

YVK
01-31-15, 22:58
I accidentally put a 13lb Wolff in a stock 17 a few years ago and it wouldn't run.

What happened specifically?

MegademiC
01-31-15, 23:02
You want lighter but I wouldn't change more than 2 lbs or so, and I'd make sure it's reliable before carrying it.

Shadow1198
02-01-15, 03:14
You are going to get more results from possibly doing a bit of grip strength training and running Matt Burkett's timing drills. The timing drills will go a long way towards helping you acclimate to a current spring weight and gun configuration. Make any significant changes in spring weights or gun configs? Run the timing drills again. Through the drill, you're basically getting a good feel for things at different ends of the spectrum, such as the way the gun tracks and the way you group through those different ends of the spectrum. http://www.mattburkett.com/from-the-archives-timing-drills/

As far as grip strength, if you can close a Captains of Crush #2 (195lb) gripper, you'd be doing really well.

From a speed standpoint, honestly the stock 17# should be fine for most shooters, unless we're talking about those running at the ragged edge of speed. Even shooting at consistent .16-.17 splits, I can still track the gun just fine running the stock spring weight in mine. Going too heavy on a recoil spring can slow down the recoil impulse, sometimes resulting in more of a "clunky" recoil and, as others mentioned, the muzzle returning past your aiming point and dipping down. For factory loads, I think 15-17# is probably the safe range to stay within, if you must change recoil springs. In my experience, below that, on some Glocks I've had issues unless running light hand loads.

GregP220
02-01-15, 22:23
I think Glock plays it cheap with recoil springs. The 17, 22 and the .357 Sig (forget the model) all share the 17 pound recoil spring assembly.

This seems goofy considering the differences in bolt thrust generated by the 9mm, 40 S&W and .357 Sig rounds.

I've been testing a 15 pound recoil spring and so far I have to say it feels more appropriate for a 9mm than the 17 pounder.