PDA

View Full Version : Short stroking

Wolfhound86
01-31-15, 20:07
I have a 14.5" mid-length BCM upper I just recently took out for the first Time today. I have it on a BCM blem lower with h buffer. I am also using a BCM BCG. The issue I am having is that when I use .223 ammo the bolt is failing to lock back on the last round. Another issue I am also having when using, again .223 ammo but a different brand, the spent case is ejecting and the bolt is locking forward without feeding a round into the chamber. If anyone has any insight please let me know. .223 ammo brands are Tula (I know) and Freedom Munititons 55gr reman. XM193 5.56 works fine but when I use CBC 62 grain 5.56 I again experience the issue with the bolt not locking back on an empty mag.

3 AE
01-31-15, 20:10
What brands of .223 ammo are you using? Have you tried 5.56 NATO Spec ammo to see if the condition persists?

Wolfhound86
01-31-15, 20:14
.223 ammo brands are Tula (I know) and Freedom Munititons 55gr reman. XM193 5.56 works fine but when I use CBC 62 grain 5.56 I again experience the issue with the bolt not locking back on an empty mag.

TacticalMark
01-31-15, 20:15
I have a 14.5" mid-length BCM upper I bought from GandR tactical. I have it on a BCM blem lower with h buffer. I am also using a BCM BCG. The issue I am having is that when I use .223 ammo the bolt is failing to lock back on the last round. Another issue I am also having is when using, again .223 ammo but a different brand, the spent case is ejecting and the bolt is locking forward without feeding a round into the chamber. If anyone has any insight please let me know. Or should I just ship it to BCM?
It's under gassed with lower powered cheap .223, put a carbine buffer in it if that's what you plan on shooting or try some 5.56 pressure ammo.

Wolfhound86
01-31-15, 20:23
^ Yeah XM193 and CBC 62 gr is 5.56 pressure ammo. I have had no issues with my other BCM middy firing that same .223 ammo with an h buffer, so I found it kind of odd to be having this problem. Again having issues locking back on last round even with CBC 5.56 PRESSURE ammo.

TacticalMark
01-31-15, 21:12
When my 14.5" was fresh under 500rds or so, it failed to lock back w/ H buffer a few times shooting weak .223 bronze. After the 500-600rd mark it locks back with everything. How many rounds do you have through it?

Wolfhound86
01-31-15, 21:20
First time I shot it was today 200 rnds. I was just alarmed because I have owned 2 other middys in the past without issue.( noveske and one other BCM)

Cmm46
01-31-15, 21:32
i have the same issues with .223 ammo. Runs xm193 like a champ though (over 3k rounds without a cleaning). And I just got a case of the CBC to try. I read on this site that the BCMs are meant to run 5.56 ammo which is why they dont cycle the weaker .223 as well. Mine did a little better with a carbine buffer but still wouldnt lock back on empty. If you try a google search youll see that its common.

Wolfhound86
01-31-15, 21:51
i have the same issues with .223 ammo. Runs xm193 like a champ though (over 3k rounds without a cleaning). And I just got a case of the CBC to try. I read on this site that the BCMs are meant to run 5.56 ammo which is why they dont cycle the weaker .223 as well. Mine did a little better with a carbine buffer but still wouldnt lock back on empty. If you try a google search youll see that its common.
I think you shed light on what I thought was an issue. Thanks.

Kansaswoodguy
02-01-15, 00:58
I had the same issue with a new build. My problem was a little bur left in the gas port when they drilled the barrel I used the same size bit they did and ran it in there by hand and cleaned out the bur no more problem could also be the gas block is not over the gas port perfectly straight

andy t
02-01-15, 19:50
What muzzle device are you using? I have BCM 14.5 with BCM Comp and it runs .223 Wolf on an H - Bufferred lower with no issues.

Wolfhound86
02-01-15, 21:18
What muzzle device are you using? I have BCM 14.5 with BCM Comp and it runs .223 Wolf on an H - Bufferred lower with no issues.
I have the same set up as you, that is why I'm concerned. I have emailed BCM, I'm sure they will straighten it out.

andy t
02-01-15, 21:21
Regular recoil spring? Also, is the BCG well lubricated?

Wolfhound86
02-01-15, 22:08
Yes, stock spring and lubed BCG.

Iraqgunz
02-01-15, 23:16
I am sure you have seen this, right?

These 14.5" mid length gas barreled upper receiver groups have been specifically tuned to be a very soft and fast shooting set up. They are a joy to shoot, but please feed it good ammo. With good milspec pressured ammo we have been running H buffers. We do not recommend using lower powered ammo. If using less than milspec pressured ammo, it may be best to run a standard carbine buffer.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-BCM-KMR9-p/bcm-urg-mid-14bfh-lw-kmr9.htm

I have a 14.5" mid-length BCM upper I just recently took out for the first Time today. I have it on a BCM blem lower with h buffer. I am also using a BCM BCG. The issue I am having is that when I use .223 ammo the bolt is failing to lock back on the last round. Another issue I am also having when using, again .223 ammo but a different brand, the spent case is ejecting and the bolt is locking forward without feeding a round into the chamber. If anyone has any insight please let me know. .223 ammo brands are Tula (I know) and Freedom Munititons 55gr reman. XM193 5.56 works fine but when I use CBC 62 grain 5.56 I again experience the issue with the bolt not locking back on an empty mag.

Wolfhound86
02-02-15, 00:05
Got it. Sounds like I'm in the market for a carbine length upper then.

joeyjoe
02-02-15, 01:13
or, as bcm mentions in the quoted excerpt above, a carbine buffer.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Carbine-Buffer-p/buffer%20carbine.htm

MegademiC
02-02-15, 07:36
or, as bcm mentions in the quoted excerpt above, a carbine buffer.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Carbine-Buffer-p/buffer%20carbine.htm

This, I put a carbine buffer in my 14.5" mid gas setup and it runs low-power ammo perfectly. Buffers are cheap.

markm
02-02-15, 07:51
Got it. Sounds like I'm in the market for a carbine length upper then.

You're fixing the wrong problem.

LRRPF52
02-03-15, 20:02
I only shoot 5.56 NATO in my wife's BCM MLGS carbine. It does not malfunction. The handling is smooth, just as it was meant to be.

I've never shot Tula or any Russian ammo in it, and don't see myself ever doing so. We never shot Russian ammo in our M16's and M4's, and they were very reliable. M193 and M855 ran them great for me personally.

Wolfhound86
02-03-15, 21:02
My other BCM middy handled everything I threw at it even with an h buffer. Paul saw this thread and PM'd me personally, and is taking care of it. When it comes to ARs I will not go anywhere else but BCM. I am happy knowing that two people I got into the AR game this year also went BCM and will not be dissapointed off of my suggestion to do so. Top quality weapons and top notch customer service.