PDA

View Full Version : Appendix Carry of Full Size M&P .45?

Citpitch02
07-03-08, 08:01
Alright folks I posted a question regarding Appendix carry options a while back and still haven't made a decision yet. I am looking for an alternate to my Milt Sparks VM-2. It is a great holster but having the option of appendix carry would just add another tool to the tool box.

Currently I have a M&P .45 full size and a Sig P229 chambered in .357 Sig.

1. Are these too large for this method of carry?
2. If not, what holster's would work best for either of these holsters?

Opinions and Photo's would be much appreciated!

Thanks again

TW

Jay Cunningham
07-03-08, 08:16
The M&P45 is a large pistol; I do not think it is appropriate for appendix carry. When I carry my M&P45 concealed I still wear it OWB.

ToddG
07-03-08, 09:03
It's impossible to say whether the M&P45 is too big for you to carry appendix. The only person who can make a final call on that is you. Does it fit? Is it comfortable? Can you sit for long periods without it causing your discomfort?

Concealed appendix carry works best for people with a more athletic build.

Ernest Langdon carries a full size M&P9 in a CCC Looper (http://www.shop.customcarryconcepts.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10), he just ordered it with no cant (as opposed to the standard FBI cant). It definitely conceals well for him, but he's a tall (6' 2" or so) fairly skinny guy.

edited to add: Having "another tool in the toolbox" is not always worthwhile. Ever waste time having to dig through your toolbox (or tool shed, or basement) looking for the right tool? If the VM2 works for you, stick with it. If you want to give appendix a try, that's certainly not a bad thing but personally I find I'm much more effective if I carry the same way in the location on my body every day.

markm
07-03-08, 09:32
CCC Looper (http://www.shop.customcarryconcepts.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10)

They don't show a full sized glock (g17/g22) version. :confused:

coltm4223
07-03-08, 10:37
I've carried a Sig 220 in the appendix approx. 50% of the time of the last 17 yrs of on and off duty wear. It basically depends on your body build. I've carried it in a Ted Blocker ST17B. I've found that I'm .4-.7 seconds faster from concealment and it's easier to conceal when your active and it's hot outside.

DocGKR
07-03-08, 10:53
I've carried the M9, G17, and M1911 in the appendix position with no problems--you can easily carry a .45 M&P, assuming the right holster and body type that allows that type of carry.

M4arc
07-03-08, 11:32
They don't show a full sized glock (g17/g22) version. :confused:

Rich will make you one.

M4arc
07-03-08, 11:34
Hey Citpitch02, as reference I'm a fairly small guy; 5'5" & 130lbs and I can carry my full size M&P9 in a CCC Looper with relative ease. I have to wear a baggy button up or polo shirt but I can do it.

Lumpy196
07-03-08, 17:08
It is a great holster but having the option of appendix carry would just add another tool to the tool box.

And what is that tool going to do for you?

Citpitch02
07-03-08, 19:05
Originally posted byToddG:
Having "another tool in the toolbox" is not always worthwhile. Ever waste time having to dig through your toolbox (or tool shed, or basement) looking for the right tool?

I am 6'3" with an athletic body type (former minor league Pitcher) so I don't think that will be an issue. I guess I was more concerned with the length of the grip and not the barrell. Will the appendix holster snug the weapon up to my torso enough for it not stick out towards the side if I am just wearing a T-shirt on a hot day? I definitely understand your "too many tools" analogy, and will take it into consideration. However as I am a recent civilian again (also a former Federal LEO) I was looking to have a second option when it comes to how I carry. My former agency had some pretty tight restrictions on what type of holsters we could carry off duty.

Originally posted by Lumpy196:
And what is that tool going to do for you?

What does anyone do with their tools?

Originally posted by DocGKR:
I've carried the M9, G17, and M1911 in the appendix position with no problems--you can easily carry a .45 M&P, assuming the right holster and body type that allows that type of carry.

Originally posted by M4arc:
Hey Citpitch02, as reference I'm a fairly small guy; 5'5" & 130lbs and I can carry my full size M&P9 in a CCC Looper with relative ease. I have to wear a baggy button up or polo shirt but I can do it.

Thanks guys, looks like I am going to have to take the plunge and try one out!

Out of curiousity, what's the turn around on the "Looper"? Hopefully I won't have to wait as long as I did for my VM-2's!

Lumpy196
07-03-08, 22:51
Well that was a useless response.

Good luck getting it to do whatever you want it to do.

ToddG
07-03-08, 23:36
In my experience, Rich gets things turned around very fast (matter of days) if he's in the shop. He sometimes has to travel for this day job, though, and so there have been times when people have had to wait two whole weeks. :cool:

I'm playing with a new prototype version of the Looper that I just got today, it has a leather pad attached to the side of the holster that contacts your body. It is not one of those "hybrid" kydex/leather holsters -- I've tried them and am not a fan -- but the regular fully kydex Looper with the leather pad adhered to the outside on one side. It's done primarily to help with heat, since the M&P can get pretty warm when you're doing a lot of shooting.

Haven't used it well enough to say whether it will hold up or whether it will really tame the blazing sun that is the M&P takedown lever, but hopefully I'll get to put it through more paces on Monday. Tonight it handled 300 rounds in about an hour without any problem.

JohnN
07-04-08, 00:59
The guys at Raven concealment are working on an Appendix holster which should be a good alternative. I have an early prototype but it doesn't keep the butt of the gun close enough to the body. From what I have heard however they have solved that problem in their latest version. E-mail Jay and ask him.

Citpitch02
07-04-08, 11:22
Originally posted by Lumpy196:
Well that was a useless response.

Hey Lumpy I was just jerkin your chain bro! Like I said it will just give me another option when it comes to how I carry according to dress and weather conditions. I'll probably carry my VM-2 80-90 percent of the time but an appendix holster would be nice on those occassions that the VM-2 just isn't ideal.

JohnN, what's Jay's email address? Is it posted on their website?

Thanks for everyone's comments/suggestions!

T W

JohnN
07-04-08, 15:12
Sorry, I guess that would have been useful info.
jay@ravenconcealment.com

Citpitch02
07-21-08, 14:51
Well I couldn't wait any longer for the Raven concealment appendix model, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Comp-Tac 2 o'clock for my 229. I have to say I've been very pleased. I have had it for about two weeks now and have worn it with a wide variety of clothing. I even wore it with a suit and tie when I took the wife out for our anniversary! Tucked in nicely and me being lefthanded my belt even conceals the clip from view!

I ordered it with the 1.75 in standard clip which allows the holster to be used with almost any belt, and allows it to cant in either direction. Canting the weapon in board pulls the grip in nice and snug against your stomach and prevents it from sticking out the side.

I'll post a couple of pics if I can ever figure out how to attach them, and I'll keep ya up to speed if I come across any issues. Thanks to all for their input and advice. I still may purchase a Raven when they become available, but for the time being I am very happy!

T.W.

ToddG
07-21-08, 16:32
FWIW, I've been carrying my full-size M&P9 in the appendix position for about a week now after spending some time on & off with that mode at the range getting used to it. Currently it's in my standard Looper but I'm having a straight-drop model delivered this week.

Citpitch02
07-22-08, 09:49
Todd,

Let me know how the straight drop works for you. It may be worth considering for my M&P if it works well for you.

As a result of my LE background I've always carried on my strongside hip, as it was the way we carried on duty, and it is the traditional mode of carry for almost all who carry concealed as well. After a lot of trial and error with different holster's and a lot research into the topic I have concluded that appendix carry is the best option for concealed carry for those of us who can use this method. It is a much more natural motion that allows for better weapons retention and deployment in close quarters engagements.

Although it doesn't work for everyone, I encourage everybody to at least give it a try. I think you will pleasantly surprised.

Stay safe!

T.W.