PDA

View Full Version : Push Button Illumination on New Leupold Scopes

scottryan
02-01-15, 12:41
I don't know what could be more frustrating on modern optics. They eliminated the rotary dials, and now we have to cycle through the settings on that rubber push button. You have no clue where you are at in the settings. You can't make adjustments on the fly, such as going from outside to a dark room, or hunting going from daylight to dusk.

I put a 3-18x50 VX6 on my big game rifle, when out with it one time, came back and took it off.

I would much prefer the Aimpoint rotary style knob.

I see now the new VX6 1-6x24 with the Multigun CDS reticle has this pushbutton. It is the competitive model to a Vortex 1-6 HD2 Razor in the JM-1 reticle. The new Leopold has the stupid pushbutton. The Vortex has the rotary dial.

I am buying the Vortex even though it doesn't come in black, because of this stupid switch Leupold had to do.

This is also why I don't like eotechs

Slippers
02-01-15, 13:48
I concur. I sampled all the new models at SHOT and found the push button to be terrible.

JackFanToM
02-01-15, 16:57
Honestly, while I prefer the aimpoint knob vs. the EoTech buttons, or buttons in general, I prefer the Vortex model of illumination level, off, next illumination level off, etc. to all other methods I have seen thus far. I realize several manufacturers do this, and it isn't a Vortex proprietary system, but those that are using it realize that a single twist to the next detent is faster than twisting to the 7th detent to hit 7 power on the aimpoint. I set my Viper PST to the off position between 4 & 5, as I rarely need it brighter than 5 or lower than 4, so I can get to the level I want with as little motion as possible. The button method is a terrible substitute, esp. the imprecise way of hitting the illumination desired under stress...what happens if you over shoot your mark.

scottryan
02-01-15, 17:56
The button method is a terrible substitute, esp. the imprecise way of hitting the illumination desired under stress...what happens if you over shoot your mark.

Exactly. If you go past your intended setting, then you have to cycle through the entire settings again.

OIPactual
02-01-15, 22:29
Hold the button down for two seconds, that will reverse the illumination cycle direction.

scottryan
02-01-15, 23:14
Hold the button down for two seconds, that will reverse the illumination cycle direction.

In two seconds I can get the correct brightness with a rotary manual knob with no thinking required.

ST911
02-01-15, 23:55
Agree with Scott. I like my VX-R a great deal, but would like it with the rotary adjustment more.

Mr blasty
02-02-15, 01:11
Seriously wish nightforce and aimpoint would get together and have a midrange love child.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

oldandslow
02-02-15, 04:01
scot,

I bought one of the Leupold VX-6 1X6 scopes a few months back. It had the Firedot duplex reticle which was turned on by the push-button switch. Only problem was that it drained the battery in 12 hours with the power off. I put in a fresh battery and again the battery was dead 12 hours later. The Firedot worked OK when first activated but a short-battery life in the "off" position wasn't what I expected in a $1000 scope. I sent it back to Brownell's and substituted for the VX-6 1X6 non-illuminated version. Works great for my purposes. Brownell's even reimbursed me for the return shipping and insurance (gotta love Brownell's). I've also got an Aimpoint M4 and much prefer the turning-knob to the push-button activation.

best wishes- oldandslow

scottryan
02-02-15, 19:47
These scopes are geared toward the "electronic gadget generation" instead of real people who use them in the field.

nimdabew
02-02-15, 22:00
I have been putting off buying a 1-4 for the concerns listed above and haven't found a scope that fits my needs that DOESNT cost 2x the cost of the rifle. My $300 Aimpoint works fore 90% of the shooting I do. The other 10%... Well I just get closer.

jarrod
02-02-15, 22:42
I have two Leupold scopes. The first is the Leupold mark 4 with the illuminated TMR reticle. The second is the VX-R Patrol 1.25-4 with the SPR reticle. I like the dial controls better on the mark 4, but the push button is okay. I am not getting the drain on the battery while turned off as oldandslow posted. It sounds like his had a defect. I do like the auto off and motion sensor feature of the VX-R. I do not believe the dial controls offer this feature. I have left it on in the safe only to discover it on at a later date and the battery was fine. If I am just at the range, I find that I do not need the illumination as much as I though. I think it is because of the 10 mil circle. I like the 10 mil circle in the SPR reticle because it is natural to want to center a target in it. I have had this scope for about 9 months, so I do not know what it will be like long term. Saying this, I also a few 2032 batteries in my gear. If I could make a few change on Patrol, it would be to go with a AA battery, a dial switch and finer stadia lines.

Krampus
02-03-15, 10:54
It is not even a well designed button, there is no feel or feedback, I hate it.

Krampus

bp7178
02-03-15, 20:37
Its not a real button, its like an interrupter for the battery connection. Horrible.

backspur
02-03-15, 21:06
Glad I saw this. I've been considering upgrading my Burris MTAC with a VXR Patrol. I like the knob interface on the Burris, which sounds like the Vortex system. I might have to start considering other options.

Krampus
02-03-15, 22:27
Glad I saw this. I've been considering upgrading my Burris MTAC with a VXR Patrol. I like the knob interface on the Burris, which sounds like the Vortex system. I might have to start considering other options.

I would still check out the Patrol, the firedot, motion control and battery management are superb, glass and reticle are OK in all light. Also take into consideration the price, warranty and company standing behind it, it would be a mistake to dismiss this scope based on some button whining.

They put this same button on scopes that cost 3 times as much. Taking the absurd margins on scopes into consideration, that is a tough pill to swallow.

Krampus

ccoker
02-08-15, 22:28
not a fan of pushbutton illumination either..
give me a good dial with an off between each setting.

I am testing a new S&B 1.5-8 Stratos with their new pushbutton day/night and on/off, I much prefer my older 1.5-6 Zenith Flashdot with a dial.
Not really a fan of the new Nightforce pushbutton on the 2.5-10x42 either frankly.

Knobs are just faster and easier in the field.

bp7178
02-08-15, 22:39
I would still check out the Patrol, the firedot, motion control and battery management are superb, glass and reticle are OK in all light. Also take into consideration the price, warranty and company standing behind it, it would be a mistake to dismiss this scope based on some button whining.

They put this same button on scopes that cost 3 times as much. Taking the absurd margins on scopes into consideration, that is a tough pill to swallow.

Krampus

Yeah, it still sucks when Nightforce does it, but its implemented better than on the Leupold.

dwhitehorne
02-09-15, 16:16
I've been running the Firedot circle at work for going on 2 years. The push button is different but you get use to it. I never adjust the brightness though, just bump it for on and hold it down for off. David

HKGuns
02-09-15, 17:32
I have no issue with the PB on my Leupy. I set it and forget it, don't even bother turning it off because the motion sensor takes care of that quite nicely.

If you don't like it buy something else, which is why there are other options available.