PDA

View Full Version : Advice on .30-06 Medium range loads

yellowfin
02-01-15, 19:54
Hey folks, I need to borrow some brains here. I tripped across a steal of a deal in my local shop this week. I was looking to buy a used 700 to build on for a precision gun, the less expensive the better, and in left handed. What I ended up finding was one someone had already built, though with some different preferences (had 3 sight bases on the barrel, I guess for irons, and internal mag instead of detachable box), and less desirable to many people because it's chambered in .30-06 instead of something more fashionable like .300 Win Mag, .308, or 6.5-284. However, I'm not going to change the barrel because it's a Hart stainless 26" (or 28"...didn't measure yet) heavy contour 1 in 10" which is exactly what I would have picked. It would cost me almost twice as much to swap out as I paid for the whole thing. Yes, that's right, I got the whole rifle lacking only a scope base for $350 out the door. (Oh yeah, minus optic...but that's a given.)

So, currently lacking another 600+ yard gun right now, I'm looking to go with this as it gets me up and running cheaply in F-class and possibly other stuff, and definitely teaching myself to do more. I'm going to thread the muzzle to be able to run my can on it because I VASTLY prefer suppressed when shooting anything with a substantial blast to it. Now what I need to figure out is what kind of loads I'm going to feed this thing. As I look at Hodgdon's data and Sierra, Hornady, Berger, and Nosler's bullets I see a lot of potential here, but not much really to go on other than just pick a powder, pick some bullets, burn some, and see how it goes. Researching other sites yields a lot of "yeah, but .308 and .300 Win are more accurate because 06 is a long skinny case...", but I don't think I currently have the skill level to outshoot its theoretical capabilities, and by the time I will it'll be time to swap the barrels anyway, right? I'm definitely thinking 180-210 grain stuff to take advantage of higher BC's and maybe to crowd some of that powder space to lessen that whole theoretical shortcoming of a long powder column. I know a lot of guys run 175's in .308 but that's said to be because longer bullets wouldn't have the case capacity which I have with this.

Whatcha think, guys? Any concerns about powder burn rate with the can on it, or at that length should I be good with everything? Also, I will probably put it in a chassis at some point--will that significantly change what loads it likes, negating load tuning done prior to the change, or just POI?

125 mph
02-01-15, 20:35
A friend of mine has a 30-06 Savage. We've had great luck with 208 gr AMAX bullets over IMR 4064 and Winchester Large Rifle Primers in Federal Brass. I don't remember the charge weight he settled on, I can ask him if you want.

We're in Illinois so no experience with suppressors.

yellowfin
02-01-15, 21:51
I'd be very interested to know the charge weight and overall length, and if possible, the barrel length the velocities that load is yielding.

125 mph
02-01-15, 22:29
We haven't run it over a chronograph, sorry. I'll send him a text and let you know the rest.

125 mph
02-05-15, 07:29
So I was wrong, we were actually shooting 178 grain AMAX bullets, with 47.4 gr IMR 4064. That's why I keep a log book haha

yellowfin
06-19-15, 21:23
Next weekend it will be time to test some 195 Hornady match over IMR 4831. Might pick up some 4064 to load as well. It's weird figuring out charge weights for a bullet not published for that specific cartridge.