PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here got any trigger time on a Glcok 30S? Pros/Cons?

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-01-15, 23:05
Anybody here have actual experience with this model? I was wondering what the general consensus is? 10 shots of .45 in a package smaller than a G19 seems pretty amazing.

sinister
02-01-15, 23:17
I like mine a lot.

One in the pipe makes it a 10+1.

Since they don't make it in a Gen 4 I built my own with a 36 upper and a G29-30 G4 lower.

http://i58.tinypic.com/fl99j8.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/jpvpc7.jpg

Dennis
02-01-15, 23:40
I got one to match my old duty G21. It feels great in hand and seems to points very fast somehow. However I can shoot my G19 faster and I have 9mm mags stashed in all my bags and vehicles. If you run a G21 and can share mags it's a no brainer.

ST911
02-01-15, 23:52
Since my thread here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?127077-Glock-G30S-First-Impressions, I've had several more range sessions with a G30S. Not a lot of dedicated work with the model, but enough that if I were needing a compact 45 Auto, it would still be my choice.

kaltblitz
02-02-15, 00:37
My buddy who works plainclothes carries it as his duty gun. Its design came at the request of the LAPD SIS guys. For a compact 45 ACP it's a great gun - way easier to carry around than a G30 - way more reliable than the G36.

That said I prefer a G19 which is roughly the same size.

naloxone
02-02-15, 00:46
Definitely not smaller than a G19. It is the same size loaded, shorter grip not counting the mag, thicker in the slide, and to my XXL hands just handles like a larger gun. Except when it goes bang, then it feels like a very small gun indeed.

I was pretty excited when it first came out, but once I got some trigger time, I decided I liked the M&P45c better as a compact .45ACP.

Psalms144.1
02-02-15, 09:07
I've got one with about 1,000 rounds down the pipe. If they made one in Gen4, I think it would be the perfect CARRY .45 after installing a Vicker's magazine release. I like the way it points and balances in the hand. As others have noted, recoil is noticeably heavier in the "S" than the standard G30; not abusive, and still more tolerable, IMHO, than a G23 with stout loads.

As far as is the juice worth the squeeze, I don't know. I like the looks of the slim slide and the way it points over the G30, but I don't think there's any real concealment advantage over the standard 30. It might be more comfortable IWB than the standard 30, but the grip is still wide. Compared to the G19, it's a no brainer, I'll take 15+1 easy to control shots over 10+1 shots that I have to work harder to recover from every day, and twice on Sunday.

There's a reason my G19 still rides on my hip every day for work...

kmr54
02-02-15, 10:37
I just got one. Put 250 rounds down range. I was surprised by how soft a shooter it is. Also, it has excellent accuracy, easy to stay on target. Still evaluating, as I have been a long time G19 guy. Carrying is almost identical to a G19. The dilemma is 10+1 of 230 grain, or 15+1 of 124 grain? Still not decided on that score, which, I suspect speaks to the viability of a G30S vs. a G19. Both excellent in their own right.

teutonicpolymer
02-02-15, 20:36
I would not say that it is smaller than the G19... it is basically the same exact size when magazines are in each.

I don't think they sell the flush fit mags anymore by the way.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-02-15, 21:27
I think the G19 Is a little taller (longer grip) vs the G30s with the standard 10 round, and a lot taller with the 9 round mag (which seems to be available intermittently). The grip/frame is a bit more square/thick than the 19. The G30s would probably be a bit easier to conceal with the shorter grip. It is defiantly bigger than the G26.

As far as .45 vs 9mm, I am familiar with the arguments and i have seen the wheel turn more than once during my lifetime. And for me and my purposes as an armed civilian(not anybody else), I would rather have an 7 shot .45 than a 17 shot 9mm. Again, just me.

Has anybody heard anything bad about these?

Slab
02-02-15, 21:33
Not to high jack, what kind of accuracy are you seeing in the 15-25yd range?

125 mph
02-02-15, 21:35
I have only run a box through a friend's gun on one of these so I can't comment on durability or long term issues, but I'll just echo that this has noticeably more recoil that a G21, regular G30, or HK45c.

If I were looking for a 45 to carry I'd pick up an HK45c with LEM. I've actually considered doing just that for AIWB carry, but I'm too heavily invested in 9mm glocks personally.

That said, if the gun peaks your interest, I'd say get it. It's just a glock, we're not talking about a ton of money here compared to other options. And if you don't like it, it will be easy to resell. You only live once, may as well enjoy the ride.

125 mph
02-02-15, 21:37
Not to high jack, what kind of accuracy are you seeing in the 15-25yd range?

I'm sure the gun is mechanically accurate enough, but I couldn't shoot the thing at all. At 15 yards I'd probably get 4-6 inch groups or so, and at 25 yards I'd struggle to stay on the paper of an NRA B8.

Like I said, I'm sure it's mechanically accurate, but it was a tough gun for me to shoot because of the recoil. I do much, much better than that with 9 mm, or even the HK45c.

Psalms144.1
02-03-15, 11:53
Not to high jack, what kind of accuracy are you seeing in the 15-25yd range?SIGNIFICANTLY more accurate than my G19 - on par with the accuracy I get from my HK P2000/P30. Not one-hole-groups at 15 and 25, but definitely do-able to keep five rounds on a 3x5 card at 25 yards off hand.

Slab
02-03-15, 14:35
SIGNIFICANTLY more accurate than my G19 - on par with the accuracy I get from my HK P2000/P30. Not one-hole-groups at 15 and 25, but definitely do-able to keep five rounds on a 3x5 card at 25 yards off hand.

Are you seeing any major difference in your splits?

Psalms144.1
02-03-15, 15:09
Are you seeing any major difference in your splits?Yes, and therein lies the rub. I consider my G19 to be one of the least accurate specimens of that model I've been unfortunate enough to own, BUT, if I'm shooting generous targets at moderate distances, I can run it like a raped ape. The G30S's recoil increase has a measurable impact when trying to "run" the pistol hard - the sights don't settle as quickly, and managing that recoil takes a lot more out of you over the long haul.

For me, the G30S is a .45 ACP flat J-frame - carried a lot and shot a little. The G19 is the pistol I pull out when I'm headed for a long range session - and, frankly, what's on my hip 99% of the time for duty/off duty carry.

Slab
02-03-15, 16:19
Yes, and therein lies the rub. I consider my G19 to be one of the least accurate specimens of that model I've been unfortunate enough to own, BUT, if I'm shooting generous targets at moderate distances, I can run it like a raped ape. The G30S's recoil increase has a measurable impact when trying to "run" the pistol hard - the sights don't settle as quickly, and managing that recoil takes a lot more out of you over the long haul.

Gotcha, I was afraid you were going to say that...

Tequila45
02-03-15, 17:08
I have both a 30s and a 19. They are the same length and same height ONLY if the 30 has the mag inserted and the 19 has the mag removed. The grip on the 30s is bigger but I have big hands so its fine. The recoil is not bad but you can tell its not a 9mm. I installed a trijicon front sight and a warren tac black rear, and a smooth face trigger from occustomtriggers.com. I have carried it IWB and it's pretty comfortable.

At 15yds I can get a fist sized group. It's slightly left so I'm not sure if its the sights or me. I've only had one range session with the new sights and trigger but I really like it over all.

sinister
02-03-15, 21:17
For me, the G30S is a .45 ACP flat J-frame - carried a lot and shot a little.

For me, I shoot it well. It's not a 1911 or G41. I am comfortable with the idea of an 11-shot .45 caliber J-frame sized auto.

Vandal
02-05-15, 00:46
I had it down to the G19 and the 30S for off-duty carry I really wanted to like the 30S because I could use my duty G21 mags as reloads. It is a good pistol but I chose the slightly slimmer G19 for size, capacity and parts availability. The G30S does feel like a baby G21 though, my hand felt right at home on the gun.

mayonaise
02-08-15, 11:54
Best choice for those who have issues managing the recoil of the G36. The G42 is similar to the G36 in that most malfunctions are shooter induced, based on my experience.

Ron3
02-09-15, 14:27
Sorry I've only handled the G30S but have fired the G30 and G36.

I used to want a G36 (don't anymore) but always assumed the recoil would much less pleasant than from a G30. (And the G30 is very pleasant so shoot)

I finally got to put some mags through one and found it still to be enjoyable to shoot! I guess I was expecting the worse but I found the recoil more controllable than a small .40 caliber Glock by far.

I rate Glock recoil/pleasantness like this:

1. Any 9x19
2. TIE Any .45 and Full-size 10mm's with light/medium loads
3. TIE Any .357 auto and full-size .40's firing 180 gr light/medium loads (This is the level of recoil that I find starts to noticeably increase split times)
4. Hotter-pressure .40's and all compact .40's
5. 10mm's with hot loads.

Co-gnARR
02-15-15, 22:46
I did not like the 40 in a compact Glock one bit. Just seemed too barky for its own benefit. The 45 was much more manageable in a similar sized frame for me. Never shot the full-sized 40 Glocks so can't compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WickedWillis
02-17-15, 11:53
I did not like the 40 in a compact Glock one bit. Just seemed too barky for its own benefit. The 45 was much more manageable in a similar sized frame for me. Never shot the full-sized 40 Glocks so can't compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any Glock before Gen 4 handles the .40 miserably. They use 9mm springs, and that is a big reason why the .40 is so unpleasant to shoot in older Glocks. The Gen 4 is better, but not by much IMHO with the dual recoil spring. I am including full-size and compact by the way.