PDA

View Full Version : What should be my next gun?

Krp7894
02-01-15, 23:38
Hey guys

I'd like to buy a new gun most especially a long gun but I'm not sure what to get. I've got plenty of hand guns and id like another long gun. I have a Mossberg 590a1 12 guage, colt le6920 m4, and a Mossberg plinkster .22. I think I could use a new long gun but I don't want to spend more than $500-$600. I was thinking of getting a bolt action rifle or maybe a smaller shotgun to have fun shooting since the Mossberg kills my shoulder after a while. What do you guys think?

HKGuns
02-01-15, 23:48
Not sure what Tikka's run these days, but they should be close to your budget. That is where I would spend that budget.

Hank6046
02-01-15, 23:52
Howa/ Weatherby, or Winchester. Remington is usually a great long gun but the Freedom Group likes to make mistakes at your expense

Krp7894
02-01-15, 23:54
How about the Ruger Americans? I think they go for under $500 in the .308.

I've also seen a Savage with Nikon scope combo at Dicks for I think $579 and Remington 783 for around $350. The Remington doesn't have a scope with it but I'd consider that rifle because I can always grab one reasonably priced and keep the price around $500.

brickboy240
02-02-15, 14:46
Summit Gun Broker in MO currently has a really sweet lightly used Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 for 400 bucks.

If that thing was in 270...it would be sitting in my safe right now.

I doubt for 400 bucks you will find a nicer rifle. Very lightly used, too.

Krp7894
02-02-15, 14:55
Too bad I'm too far from MO. Unfortunately I live in the strict as ever NY where you have to be an LEO like myself to buy anything other than a rifle or shotgun. I should mention the inflated prices we got over here too. I would love to move out of this state.

We also don't have guns for sale around here at local Walmarts like most outside states do. I've checked with my local gun shop who I bought about 5 guns from and the Remington 783 is $419. Online prices at Dicks Sporting Goods are $349 for the 783, but that doesn't always hold true in store. I'm going to take a look when I can and see what I can find. If I find it for under $400 what would you all think of the 783?

zacii
02-02-15, 19:56
Are you just target shooting, or are you hunting?

Guns are tools. We first must identify the task, before we choose a tool.

Krp7894
02-02-15, 20:45
Mostly target shooting but I'd like something that I could use for hunting as well but as a secondary.

MBtech
02-02-15, 21:08
Is the $500-$600 budget including optic? Or just the rifle? What is the complete package total?

If a 12ga bothers you that much a lightweight .308 is going to have some kick too, and what animals would you plan on hunting as a secondary use?

Krp7894
02-02-15, 21:50
I'd consider spending $500 for just the rifle but if I can squeeze a quality rifle AND an optic for that much than by all means. That's why I consider the 783 as an option considering I called my local Dicks and they can order it for me for just $350.

As far as hunting goes near me I'd like to go deer hunting eventually. I have friends who hunt and I've been asked to join but I mainly have all pistols and only rifles are a .22 and an M4. Like I said I'd mainly use the rifle for target shooting primarily.

zacii
02-03-15, 05:56
Consider a .243, then. It'll do for deer, but with minimal recoil.

Krp7894
02-03-15, 07:35
The 783 comes in 243 cal as well. Actually the twist is 1:9 for the 243 compared to 1:10 for the 308. I've looked up reviews for the 783 and they all seem solid. And for $350 ($100 below suggested retail) why not?

Dlo250
02-03-15, 21:45
Cz 527. Pick a caliber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krp7894
02-03-15, 22:08
That goes for over $700 in NY

zacii
02-04-15, 06:57
The 783 comes in 243 cal as well. Actually the twist is 1:9 for the 243 compared to 1:10 for the 308. I've looked up reviews for the 783 and they all seem solid. And for $350 ($100 below suggested retail) why not?
If that's what you want, then go for it.

I haven't done much research on the 783. But everything on the Ruger American gives excellent reviews.

I'd opt for the Ruger, personally, because Remington can't seem to avoid recalls.

Another option, if you can find one, is a Stevens 200. They are built by Savage. They have the same action & barrel, but sans Accutrigger. They also have an excellent reputation for accuracy. I have one in .223, it's a tack driver.

Krp7894
02-04-15, 07:55
I actually don't own a single Remington gun. I just figured the 783 would be good because it seems to have solid reviews and it's very affordable. But as for recalls and quality assurance issues that I had no idea, in fact the only gun I've ever had an issue with was my Mossberg 590 when it had rust in the barrel when I bought it. I do have a Ruger mark III and though I've never had an issue I've only heard they have great customer service and will repair a firearm for a lifetime whereas Remington is usually for 1-2 years only. I don't know if Dicks actually sells Ruger hunting rifles I know they have .22s. I would think the Ruger would go for a little more than the Remington. I'll let you know how much.

As for the Savage, I've seen the Trophy Hunter XP that also has the accurtrigger and comes with a Nikon Scope for $579. How's that?

okie john
02-04-15, 11:14
I'll assume that you've ruled out a 300 BLK upper for your M-4.

It sounds like you're not in a hurry, so I'd look for something used. Once you do that, literally hundreds of high-quality options open up. Off the top of my head, that includes the various Ruger Hawkeyes and Model 77s, especially the all-weather and laminated-stock variants. You might also find a good Remington Model 600, 660, 7, 700, 721, or 722, or a Winchester Model 70, 670, or 770. There are a bunch more if you consider Savage, Mossberg, Stevens, and all of the other folks who have made bolt guns over the last several decades.

Whatever you choose, I'd look for a rifle that fits you and that has a properly installed recoil pad that hasn't hardened over time. You'll want this if you shoot anything heavier than a .243, and getting one added by a good gunsmith can cost $100 or more. I'd also look for something with an older Leupold scope. Leupolds are superb optics and you can send them back to the factory and have them checked for free. As for rings and bases, I look for Weavers. They're butt-ugly, but they work and they return to zero. I tend to see Redfields and their clones as disposable since they can loosen if the original user removed the scope very often.

As for caliber, I'd stick to 308, 30/06, or 270. They'll work for anything in North America, you can find good ammo anywhere, and recoil isn't too bad if your rifle has a decent pad as noted above. Other good choices include the 300 Savage (which I understand is common in New England), and the 7-08 Remington. There's nothing wrong with the 243/6mm Remington/257 Roberts, but they're not my cup of tea and I have no experience with them.

And that's just bolt actions. There's a whole universe of single shots, lever guns, pumps, and semi-autos beside that. I'm not sure whether it's legal to hunt with a semi-auto in NY, but the others have a pretty storied history.

Okie John

Krp7894
02-04-15, 11:21
To be honest I don't think it would be legal in NY to hunt with anything that has a pistol grip so I'd think swapping my upper wouldnt be an option. Plain and simple NY stinks. Your very limited to what you can buy here unless your an LEO like myself and prices are outrageous. That's why I figured $350 for the 783 was a good price for a brand new rifle. But your right I'm not in a rush at the moment (still in the process of completing my hunter safety course to get my license) so I'm testing the waters. Hell, even if I did get the 783 it still would have to be ordered, nothing comes cheap or easy in NY.

Krp7894
02-04-15, 15:48
Just a quick update, my favorite local gun store has Ruger Americans in the compact and full size rifle for $369. I'm definitely torn between Remington and Ruger. I've heard bad things about Remington customer support and I've heard the Ruger is a smoother rifle and their both equally accurate. What do you guys think?

A2s rule
02-04-15, 18:02
Just a quick update, my favorite local gun store has Ruger Americans in the compact and full size rifle for $369. I'm definitely torn between Remington and Ruger. I've heard bad things about Remington customer support and I've heard the Ruger is a smoother rifle and their both equally accurate. What do you guys think?

Id pick the Ruger over the Rem 783 but that doesn't mean the 783 isn't any good. Someone mentioned a CZ 527..thats a good idea. But to be honest, just about everyone is putting out good rifles today. You just about can't go wrong with any one of them. Just go handle some and pick what you like and 9.5 times out of 10 it will be a good rifle.

If it was me Id roll with a Savage Hog Hunter in 308. Comes with a 20" heavy threaded barrel, iron sights. Its a sweet little rifle and only $430

MBtech
02-04-15, 18:31
Hey guys

I'd like to buy a new gun most especially a long gun but I'm not sure what to get. I've got plenty of hand guns and id like another long gun. I have a Mossberg 590a1 12 guage, colt le6920 m4, and a Mossberg plinkster .22. I think I could use a new long gun but I don't want to spend more than $500-$600. I was thinking of getting a bolt action rifle or maybe a smaller shotgun to have fun shooting since the Mossberg kills my shoulder after a while. What do you guys think?

OP, for what you are asking for which seems like you are wanting to stay sub $400 on your rifle purchase. To have fun plinking and deer hunting here and there, the 783, Ruger, or Savage should do you just fine for those purposes. Other than that use I'd recommend stepping up the budget.

You've mentioned your LGS has a Ruger, go check it out, see what it feels like. I've never ordered a gun I haven't had my hands on first and knew it was something I wanted. Sometimes you shoulder one and it "just feels right"

You also mentioned maybe a smaller shotgun, take a look at what some of the new 20ga shotguns are capable of now days and the ammunition that is available for them now.

Krp7894
02-04-15, 18:39
I like that savage, the iron sights are nice for some short range shooting at the indoor range. I'm going to go to my favorite gun shop and check out some rifles. Definitely like those 3 by the look of it. Those iron sights are a plus too.

Krp7894
02-05-15, 11:45
The Hog Hunter runs for $509 by me. I'm attracted to the fact that it's a heavy barrel that's threaded and also the fact it's got iron sights. Means I could play with it at the range at the time being without having to get a scope rigt away since in NY we got crushed with snow and it's cold out so in door ranges are the best option at the moment. I know I did want to spend less but if I like it then why not? They'd have to order it for me I wouldn't have it for about a week. I'm going to check out rifles as early as this afternoon. I'll let you guys know. Thank you for your suggestions.

Krp7894
02-05-15, 15:41
Ok so I checked out a bunch of rifles. The vanguard was a beauty. What a sweet gun but a bit too much for me. I'd say my least favorite was the Remington because of the safety, and the Ruger American was nice. I liked the magazine and the feel of the grips on the stock but I went with the Hog Hunter. I liked the weight and the smooth bolt, and those sights are nice. My only complaint about the Savage is the fact it has an internal magazine and the one less round but I'll get over it. Cost me $500 which is the best price in my area (other spots it was $520). I got it in 308 but it's on special order so I get it in a week. Thanks all, can't wait to shoot it!

A2s rule
02-06-15, 16:29
Ok so I checked out a bunch of rifles. The vanguard was a beauty. What a sweet gun but a bit too much for me. I'd say my least favorite was the Remington because of the safety, and the Ruger American was nice. I liked the magazine and the feel of the grips on the stock but I went with the Hog Hunter. I liked the weight and the smooth bolt, and those sights are nice. My only complaint about the Savage is the fact it has an internal magazine and the one less round but I'll get over it. Cost me $500 which is the best price in my area (other spots it was $520). I got it in 308 but it's on special order so I get it in a week. Thanks all, can't wait to shoot it!

Good choice! Detachable mags aren't the bees knees anyway. I actually prefer an internal mag to keep the rifle sleek/less bulky. You can always upgrade the stock to something that will accept a detachable mag later on if you want it.

AverajeJo
02-15-15, 21:45
I just upgraded my stock. Heavy but does the job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Krp7894
02-15-15, 22:48
AveraJejo

Is that the hog hunter? I see the threaded barrel but not the sights.

AverajeJo
02-16-15, 07:34
Hi Krp. This is Rem 700 AAC-SD with 20" barrel. Nightforce scope and accuracy international stock.

Krp7894
02-16-15, 16:26
Picked up my Savage today. The barrel could be a bit straighter on the stock but it's not too bad, however my rear sight fell off after I pulled it out of the bag the second time when I got home. It slides around easily in the rear housing, there is a small flat head screw so I'm assuming it needs to be tightened? If it's a bad sight I'm going to send it back and have the stock fixed too.

Update: tightened the blade on the sights and it still doesn't sit right. I called savage and they're sending me a brand new stock and a new rear sight assembly. I'll see how it goes.

Krp7894
02-19-15, 14:36
Savage was quick in sending me a new stock. This one isn't as cheap and looks better. The barrel sits better in it as well. I can't seem to get the end of the barrel where the safety is to sit flush against the stock. The original stock it came with was like this as well. Anyone else have this issue?

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag137/Ppk487/2B15B8FA-D373-4E15-8408-6C5A212D474D_zpshht7yyz2.jpg (http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/Ppk487/media/2B15B8FA-D373-4E15-8408-6C5A212D474D_zpshht7yyz2.jpg.html)

MBtech
02-19-15, 17:00
I would think if they were both like that it is the way it's made. What was up with the rear sight?

Krp7894
02-19-15, 17:14
It kept falling off, the screw wasn't holding it in place. I fixed that I just didn't like how the safety isn't resting flush on the stock.

That's also the old stock in the pic, the new stock looks far cleaner.

Eliminite
02-27-15, 19:05
I go to Oregon every month and I am looking for a good bolt action rifle for long distance target practice, and possibly to take down the occasional bear. But I want something that is more of a scout rifle. What do you think I should be looking for in general.

To be honest this was just a spur of the moment idea, but something I've been briefly thinking of every now and again.

MBtech
02-27-15, 19:24
I go to Oregon every month and I am looking for a good bolt action rifle for long distance target practice, and possibly to take down the occasional bear. But I want something that is more of a scout rifle. What do you think I should be looking for in general.

To be honest this was just a spur of the moment idea, but something I've been briefly thinking of every now and again.

Decide a budget, sounds like you have an idea what your needs and purposes are.

Read on this forum and precision bolt forum tons of good info.

Couple threads specifically on scout rifles too.

Eliminite
02-27-15, 19:27
Decide a budget, sounds like you have an idea what your needs and purposes are.

Read on this forum and precision bolt forum tons of good info.

Couple threads specifically on scout rifles too.

:big_boss: thank you sir

MBtech
02-27-15, 19:45
:big_boss: thank you sir

You'll find a wealth of info, I'd recommend something between a .260 - .308 for a caliber.

RIDE
02-27-15, 20:05
For $550, and if you hunt, I'd get the Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Weatherby Magnum.

It's like hunting with lightning.

I reload this round, other wise you ain't shooting it much as its $4.00 per round!

The ballistics are simply amazing though.

Eliminite
02-27-15, 20:15
Ill check it out.

I want something to learn distance shooting though.
Maybe pretend I am Mark Wahlberg in shooter...HAH

I do hunt but right now just pheasant and the occasional deer that stumble upon the wrong property.
So I am not much into rifles yet. I do however have a DanielDefense, LWRCI, Mossberg, and Remington
catalogs, so I browse that.

I do want some good recommendations for bolt actions though

MBtech
02-27-15, 20:31
Ill check it out.

I do hunt but right now just pheasant and the occasional deer that stumble upon the wrong property.
So I am not much into rifles yet. I do however have a DanielDefense, LWRCI, Mossberg, and Remington
catalogs, so I browse that.

I do want some good recommendations for bolt actions though

Budget? Sky is the limit, just depends on how much money you want to spend.
Let us know when you hit a soup can from a mile away :)

Eliminite
02-28-15, 14:08
planning on about 1400,

I think that is a fair amount for a rifle.

Yeah, the can thing probably won't be for a little while. I feel like napolean dynamite right now. (Very slow minded about the whole thing)

AverajeJo
03-08-15, 10:33
Ill check it out.

You may want to try m200 intervention in 408 chyTek. Or the Arctic war fighter by accuracy international I believe that the rifles used in that movie. Very big $$$$$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eliminite
03-08-15, 22:49
no idea what you're talking.
could you enlighten?

MBtech
03-08-15, 23:11
no idea what you're talking.
could you enlighten?

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Shooter

"Shooter" Chey Tac M-200 408

AverajeJo