PDA

View Full Version : spotting scope or target cam opinions

Hicklinc
02-02-15, 12:21
My shooting will be at 500 and in this will be my first spotting scope or target cam and I would like to know what kind of realistic performance I can get out of a spotting scope I haven't shot past 100 yards yet so I don't know what to expect to see as far as 223 on paper oh the spotting scope I'm looking at is the kowa tsn-82sv

Keith E.
02-02-15, 13:30
In my experience, .223 holes at 500yds with a spotting scope is a stretch. Perfect light, no mirage, white paper/backer, dirty bird targets, etc. may allow it.

If you have access to property where you can safely set up a target cam, that would be nice. I would still want good glass for wind, splashes, mirage, etc. The 82SV will serve you well for that.

Keith

Hicklinc
02-02-15, 23:36
Ok thanks like I said I dont have any experience past 100 realistically how far can you see 223 holes in paper with a scope in the 82sv price range I might be leaning towards getting both the spotting scope for shorter distances and or times where I can't set up the cam and the cam for not perfect lighting and longer range

Matt in TN
02-03-15, 06:41
Kowas are great, but on most days around here I can't see .308 holes in black targets at 200 yds for the mirage. Seeing .223 at 500 is going to be a "got lucky" story instead of a "the norm" story.

Failure2Stop
02-03-15, 07:35
Kowas are great, but on most days around here I can't see .308 holes in black targets at 200 yds for the mirage. Seeing .223 at 500 is going to be a "got lucky" story instead of a "the norm" story.

Truth here.

If you're shooting at distance without a spotter, steel is a better option than trying to see holes in paper.
Use steel of the appropriate size for your desired performance. You will get immediate audible feed-back with the right setup, and you will be able to see impact easier with a spotting scope at distance on steel rather than looking for little 1/4" holes.

Kokopelli
02-03-15, 07:42
That's the deal...

Truth here.

If you're shooting at distance without a spotter, steel is a better option than trying to see holes in paper.
Use steel of the appropriate size for your desired performance. You will get immediate audible feed-back with the right setup, and you will be able to see impact easier with a spotting scope at distance on steel rather than looking for little 1/4" holes.

Hicklinc
02-03-15, 07:54
Thanks but I don't think the ranges here let you put out steel I really would prefer shooting steel since I've never done it I will check though

TXBK
02-03-15, 08:10
Has anyone used the Bullseye Camera System or Target Vision's Camera System? The price of the Bullseye is comparative to a decent spotting scope. The concept is pretty cool, but how does work in the real world?

Failure2Stop
02-03-15, 09:19
Has anyone used the Bullseye Camera System or Target Vision's Camera System? The price of the Bullseye is comparative to a decent spotting scope. The concept is pretty cool, but how does work in the real world?

I've heard less than glowing reports in actual use.

TXBK
02-03-15, 09:31
I've heard less than glowing reports in actual use.

Was that with the Bullsye or Target Vision system? Target Vision is twice the price of the Bullseye. Does that equal twice the performance? You can get a really nice spotting scope for $1300.

Failure2Stop
02-03-15, 10:02
Was that with the Bullsye or Target Vision system? Target Vision is twice the price of the Bullseye. Does that equal twice the performance? You can get a really nice spotting scope for $1300.

Both.
The issues related to signal reception in realistic conditions.
Second-hand info, take it for what it's worth.

TXBK
02-03-15, 10:12
Second-hand info, take it for what it's worth.

That's good enough me. Maybe they can get those issues sorted out some day, because it could be a very useful technology. Until then, the use of steel is still the best option for distance work.

Keith E.
02-03-15, 13:08
Ok thanks like I said I dont have any experience past 100 realistically how far can you see 223 holes in paper with a scope in the 82sv price range I might be leaning towards getting both the spotting scope for shorter distances and or times where I can't set up the cam and the cam for not perfect lighting and longer range

In my experience about 300 yards. The qualifiers being mirage, angle of sun, light colored backer, etc.

Keith

nova3930
02-03-15, 16:04
A simple PTZ camera, a wireless N router operating in the 5gHz band, battery pack, good antennas and good clear Lline of sight and you should be able to easily get video at that range. You could put something like that together for far less than either of those video systems you mentioned.

We used a very similar system for an unmanned aircraft project back in college, and we got video out to nearly twice that range. That was on a maneuvering vehicle utilizing the 2.4gHz band that's much more crowded and vulnerable to interference.