PDA

View Full Version : 77gr CBC 5.56mm - Two Questions

FlyPenFly
02-02-15, 13:02
Hi, considering ordering a couple boxes of this ammo.

I know some people have been able to get Sub MOA accuracy out of it.

I'm curious if anyone has done any ballistic gel testing with this ammo for terminal ballistics?

Also, how much of a difference in point of impact will I see with this ammo per 100 yards over XM193 55gr?

Thanks!

markm
02-02-15, 14:19
It's hot ammo. And it has the Nosler OTM which fragments viciously. You might see if AndrewWiggins has a thread on it in the terminal ballistics forum here. But simple water jug tests out of an 11.5 using a load slightly milder than CBC has yielded me impressive results.

POI will be something you'd have to find out for your specific barrel.

FlyPenFly
02-02-15, 14:20
Thanks, out of a 16inch is what I'm curious about.

bfoosh006
02-03-15, 12:01
Deleted

Split66
02-03-15, 12:09
I thought it uses the Sierra Match King ?

Yes it's a SMK stuffed in there. It is really nice ammo for the money.

markm
02-03-15, 15:02
Maybe I'm confusing the ammo with another factory load. I thought they picked the Nosler. In any case, both bullets shoot the same.

broberts001
02-07-15, 04:15
Would love to see some Gel tests too :) I can volunteer some rounds to someone that can test and video it.

-Bryan

FlyPenFly
02-27-15, 18:53
Interesting bit of copy from Palmetto

556C 77g Sierra Mach King Hollow Point. This is the best .556 round that we manufacture. It was developed as an LE round for extreme accuracy and lethality.

Also, The New 40BONB is a bonded hollow point that preforms better than the Guardian Gold and is offered at an extremely low price point.

vicious_cb
02-27-15, 19:44
Would love to see some Gel tests too :) I can volunteer some rounds to someone that can test and video it.

-Bryan

Its pretty well known that the nosler 77gr has better terminal effect than the 77gr SMK. The SMK has too long of a neck length before it fragments. I dont have enough experience with the former to make a judgment as to which is more accurate. If markm's experience holds true then I would pick the nosler bullet every time. Of course the 77gr TMK beat both in long range and terminal performance.

markm
02-28-15, 10:17
If markm's experience holds true then I would pick the nosler bullet every time.

I believe MOLON had the same results too. I'd be fine with either SMK or NOSLER.

samuse
05-26-15, 07:44
I just ordered a case of this ammo to try out on hogs, coyotes, stray dogs, and general paper punching as far as I can shoot.

Is this stuff hot enough to cause premature wear as compared to M193 or 855?

Ned Christiansen
05-26-15, 08:16
I don't find anything noticeably "hot" about this. I mean I haven't graphed it but as shooting impressions, there is nothing sharper or louder about it about it; cases eject into the same area as everything else.

Oh yeah and it does what SMK's do, I've had very good accuracy with it.

Ned Christiansen
05-26-15, 12:21
Just back from shooting some more of the CBC 77's and others including some Mk 262. I turned up the sensitivity and could not feel any dif between this and the five other loads I was testing. Shot two groups of five, both under 1 1/8", and the two overlaid would still be at or under that. Prone at 100. Not Molon-quality work but this mirrors my previous results with this ammo.

This is a barrel that has done an honest .6 with Gold Medal Match but was doing an inch today. So the CBC can probably hang at 3/4".

samuse
05-26-15, 21:02
Thanks for the info, sounds like good stuff, I have some IMI 77gr Razor Core and some Aussie Outback 69gr SMK to put it up against.

Will be through a 20" Larue upper.

Mustang31
05-26-15, 21:23
Thanks, out of a 16inch is what I'm curious about.

At 50 yards, 16" Ranier Match barrel; 77 grain CBC grouped about 1" lower then Wolf Gold 223.

Jwknutson17
05-26-15, 21:38
I've had good results hunting small game with the CBC 77gr SMK round. Have shot under 1moa groups and taken hogs, skunks, armadillos, Coyote's, etc, etc.

The 77gr SMK has yet to fail me.

I do not notice any difference with good 5.56 ammo and the MK262s . Ejection and feel all about the same in my rifles.

I like the Hornady 75gr rounds also. Had good results with them also.