PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on purchasing a new Optic

Infidel1975
02-02-15, 20:46
I've been put in a fortunate situation to be able to purchase a brand new Leupold Mark 6 1-6x20 with either a CMR-W 5.56 reticle or a CMR-W 7.62 reticle. I have a buddy who recently bought both to put on his personal AR15 and Ar10 and has come into a money problem and is offering to sell me one of them for $1,200.00! This optic will be going on my 14.5inch pinned and welded ,1/7 twist BCM upper. It will be used to shoot steel and paper from 5 to 400 yards. I plan on running 62grain greentip primarily and 77 grain MK262 Mod1 occasionally. The rifle will also be used as my SHTF weapon if the need ever arises and may occasionally be used with the 77gr. MK262 to take a deer or hog. If I go with the CMR -W 7.62 reticle I was told that the 77grain MK262 matches up pretty close to the BDC when used with a 5.56 14.5" upper like mine. I am just not sure how far off the 62 grain ammo will be from matching up with the BDC. If I go with the CMR-W 5.56 reticle I am under the impression that it will match up perfectly with the BDC when shooting the 62 grain greentip but I am unsure how far off it will be when using the 77 grain MK262. I would really appreciate any advice ya'll could give me on which reticle I should go with. Hopefully someone has some words of wisdom or experience that can make my decision between the CMR-W 5.56 reticle and the CMR-W 7.62 reticle an easier decision! Thanks in advance guys:)

Krampus
02-03-15, 19:49
I've been put in a fortunate situation to be able to purchase a brand new Leupold Mark 6 1-6x20 with either a CMR-W 5.56 reticle or a CMR-W 7.62 reticle. I have a buddy who recently bought both to put on his personal AR15 and Ar10 and has come into a money problem and is offering to sell me one of them for $1,200.00! This optic will be going on my 14.5inch pinned and welded ,1/7 twist BCM upper. It will be used to shoot steel and paper from 5 to 400 yards. I plan on running 62grain greentip primarily and 77 grain MK262 Mod1 occasionally. The rifle will also be used as my SHTF weapon if the need ever arises and may occasionally be used with the 77gr. MK262 to take a deer or hog. If I go with the CMR -W 7.62 reticle I was told that the 77grain MK262 matches up pretty close to the BDC when used with a 5.56 14.5" upper like mine. I am just not sure how far off the 62 grain ammo will be from matching up with the BDC. If I go with the CMR-W 5.56 reticle I am under the impression that it will match up perfectly with the BDC when shooting the 62 grain greentip but I am unsure how far off it will be when using the 77 grain MK262. I would really appreciate any advice ya'll could give me on which reticle I should go with. Hopefully someone has some words of wisdom or experience that can make my decision between the CMR-W 5.56 reticle and the CMR-W 7.62 reticle an easier decision! Thanks in advance guys:)

I don't like the idea of long shots on deer/hog with a .223 (less so with a 14.5") so BDC is less important to me in that regard. I would probably choose for 3gun because the odds that SHTF are low and the odds I would need a BDC reticle during SHTF are also low.

Gather info:
Muzzle velocity at temperature.
Ballistic Data for Cartridge.
Reticle detail.
Height of sight axis above bore axis.

Post data into thread.

***Note*** Garbage in = more garbage out at longer distances.

Krampus