PDA

View Full Version : Rear Sight Question

RudyN
02-02-15, 22:32
I feel like a nincompoop asking this question, but here goes. I just bought an upper for one of my lowers and it doesn't have a rear sight so I will have to buy one. The upper has the GI type front sight and I am just not sure what type of rear sight will go with it. All of the other uppers I have bought have come with a rear sight already installed so I didn't have to worry about that problem. Would something like a MagPul MBUS Flip-Up rear sight work? Forgot to say the front sight is a fixed front sight.

Iraqgunz
02-03-15, 00:40
Do you have an F marked front sight base? What kind of upper is it?

RudyN
02-03-15, 17:23
It is the standard GI A2 pinned front sight on a RRA Flat top upper. and there is a F stamp on the forward area.

Uprange41
02-03-15, 17:46
Most any common rear sight will work for you, then.

EDIT - assuming you do, in fact, have an F-marked FSB.

texasgunhand
02-03-15, 17:50
Just to be clear , hes asking about an f stamp on the front sight base,not on the upper...

RudyN
02-03-15, 18:37
Yes it is on the front sight

Sent from the Telegraph Office

kest_01
02-03-15, 19:22
Well like has already been said than, almost any rear BUIS will work.

Iraqgunz
02-03-15, 20:02
There are multiple options available for you to use. From the Magpul MBUS Gen 2, MBUS PRO, etc...

It is the standard GI A2 pinned front sight on a RRA Flat top upper. and there is a F stamp on the forward area.

BrigandTwoFour
02-03-15, 23:58
Do you plan on mounting optics any time soon? If an optic is not an urgent necessity, I would actually lean towards the LMT rear sight or BCM carry handle.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LMT-Tactical-Rear-Sight-p/lmt%20rear%20sight%20l8a.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Carry-Handle-BCM-p/bcm%20carry%20handle%20ar-15.htm

If you pick up a red dot later on, the LMT can stay on the gun and provide you a good cowitness capability. If you want to go magnified, then you can replace it with a folding sight. I'm not one who demands that people get good with iron sights before buying optics, but if you need to save up for a quality optic then why not practice with a good iron sight for a while?

nate89
02-04-15, 01:01
Do you plan on mounting optics any time soon? If an optic is not an urgent necessity, I would actually lean towards the LMT rear sight or BCM carry handle.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LMT-Tactical-Rear-Sight-p/lmt%20rear%20sight%20l8a.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Carry-Handle-BCM-p/bcm%20carry%20handle%20ar-15.htm

If you pick up a red dot later on, the LMT can stay on the gun and provide you a good cowitness capability. If you want to go magnified, then you can replace it with a folding sight. I'm not one who demands that people get good with iron sights before buying optics, but if you need to save up for a quality optic then why not practice with a good iron sight for a while?

Another option is the Daniel Defense fixed rear sight. I have one paired with an A2 front sight on an irons only gun and love it.

Uprange41
02-04-15, 01:49
I have a LaRue fixed rear (without the QD) and a Daniel Defense fixed rear as well... I see little reason to go for the LMT or carry handle with those two on the market. They weigh less and cost less.

The mounting method of the LaRue inspires more confidence in me, but I know DD is solid, and as a bonus, weighs less. No elevation adjustments, but that doesn't bother me.

That isn't, of course, to say that the LMT or carry handle's don't get the job done... they do.

BrigandTwoFour
02-04-15, 08:32
I have a LaRue fixed rear (without the QD) and a Daniel Defense fixed rear as well... I see little reason to go for the LMT or carry handle with those two on the market. They weigh less and cost less.

The mounting method of the LaRue inspires more confidence in me, but I know DD is solid, and as a bonus, weighs less. No elevation adjustments, but that doesn't bother me.

That isn't, of course, to say that the LMT or carry handle's don't get the job done... they do.

If you're looking for a 'set and forget' sight, then there are lots of great options (like the DD, Larue, or others). But there is still something to be said for having adjustable rear sights. Just because you don't want or need them doesn't mean others will never use it.

Uprange41
02-04-15, 10:00
If you're looking for a 'set and forget' sight, then there are lots of great options (like the DD, Larue, or others). But there is still something to be said for having adjustable rear sights. Just because you don't want or need them doesn't mean others will never use it.

You're right, I did contradict myself there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 AE
02-04-15, 13:12
Did the rear sights on all of your other uppers not work out? Or were they A1/A2 style uppers? I'm not tracking. :confused: