PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 2nd gen: 7"+ at 25yrd within the norm?

Aries144
02-03-15, 05:53
ghjkl

MegademiC
02-03-15, 06:56
Not normal. If all Gen barrels are interchangable, throw another one in there to see if it improves accuracy before dropping the cash on a replacement, in case the problem is elsewhere.

3-4 is range should be about norm.

Failure2Stop
02-03-15, 07:17
I have not met a Gen 3 or later G19 that couldn't hold 90% 10-ring on a B-8 at 25 with common ammo.
I'd investigate a replacement or aftermarket barrel.

samuse
02-03-15, 07:19
Meh. Could be better. I had a 2nd gen17 that shot like that.

The 2nd gens were not as accurate as the new Gen4s.

themonk
02-03-15, 07:23
If you don't have another barrel and need one for testing, let me know as I have a few laying around and I can fire one off to you.

Failure2Stop
02-03-15, 07:27
Meh. Could be better. I had a 2nd gen17 that shot like that.

The 2nd gens were not as accurate as the new Gen4s.

Good point.
My experience with regard to 25 yard accuracy is limited to early Gen 3 and later production.
I missed the 2nd Gen note, mea culpa.

okie john
02-03-15, 10:25
This 2nd gen Glock 19 has frustrated me with accuracy trouble since purchasing it for competition use to replace my XD9. Today I finally had the time and opportunity to bench and bag-rest it along side my current carry/competition piece: my PPQ. At 25 yards I printed consistent 2.5" 10-shot groups with the PPQ and 7"+ 10-shot groups with the Glock ("+" because about 20% of the rounds were striking off paper using 8.5 x 11 target sheets.)

All shots broke cleanly, no jerking, sight misalignment, "glocking" the trigger, etc. The Glock has had a trigger job and I can dry fire with no loss of sight alignment, just as I can with the PPQ. My performance with the PPQ, and past performance with other handguns, rules me out of the equation this time.

The Glock 19 was bought used, but I never seriously entertained the thought that the barrel could be shot out.Unless this is within the norm for a Glock, I'm left to conclude that either the barrel is shot out, by the previous owner or perhaps by my almost exclusive use of Russian ammunition (see my posts about shooting out my SLR-106FR's barrel in roughly 7k rounds of Wolf and Barnaul or Andrew Tuohy's excellent test for Lucky Gunner), was bad from the factory, or has suffered some damage resulting in its current performance.

If this is outside the norm, should I look at an aftermarket barrel or is there some path to pursue with Glock? (i.e. a refurbishment program for some cost)

I'd expect groups no larger than four inches at 25 yards. Seven inches seems excessive...

What ammo are you using? If you test several different loads, you might find one that significantly outshoots the others.

Okie John

CAVDOC
02-03-15, 10:30
My gen 2 19 when I tested it for accuracy at 25 yards some years ago shot between 2&3 inches at 25 with a variety of ammo. Smallest group just a hair over two with gi ball, a hair under three with federal 147's.
Anything more than four inches ( confirmed with a second skilled shooter and at least two additional types of ammo) signals a problem. I have heard bad accuracy can occurs when a locking block pin is broke which is not apparent until the pin is driven out and found broke.

Psalms144.1
02-03-15, 11:57
I agree that 7" at 25 yards is unacceptable, and would reach out to GLOCK. Of course, they told me repeatedly that the G19 is a "combat pistol, not a target pistol" so you might not get much traction there...

Sam
02-03-15, 12:23
That's not good. The good side to that problem is, there are many more glocks at the store that you can buy to replace this one that you will sell at the gun show. This is a good time to buy one of those Lipsey's LAV G19.

T2C
02-03-15, 12:50
This 2nd gen Glock 19 .....I'm left to conclude that either the barrel is shot out, by the previous owner or perhaps by my almost exclusive use of Russian ammunition

You should be able to shoot 4" groups at 25 yards with Federal or Remington 115g FMJ. Tighter groups are likely.

I have pistols that shoot good groups with Federal and Remington, but lousy groups with some Russian ammunition.

I would clean the barrel thoroughly and fire some different ammunition before throwing money at the Glock.

Gingerkid
02-03-15, 15:26
That's not good. The good side to that problem is, there are many more glocks at the store that you can buy to replace this one that you will sell at the gun show. This is a good time to buy one of those Lipsey's LAV G19.

Sam has the plan...

Aries144
02-03-15, 17:42
ghjkl