PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 build

a1madrid
02-03-15, 22:30
Hi so I am looking at building a Ruger 10/22 but am unsure of all the parts I need. I am looking at a green mountain barrel, volquartsen bolt group, volquartsen trigger group, archangel stock, receiver, and handguard. Is there anything I am missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishbed77
02-04-15, 15:53
I would strongly suggest a Kidd trigger over the Volquartsen trigger group, especially since they run only about $20 more. You can get 90% of the way to the quality of the Volquartsen trigger group just by installing their hammer. The complete Volquartsen trigger group is vastly over-priced for what it is.

Green Mountain makes very, very good and affordable barrels, but if you are going to spend all the money for an aftermarket receiver & bolt, you may as well go for a top-tier barrel.

Archangle/Promag stock... meh.

a1madrid
02-04-15, 15:56
I was thinking of sticking with the ruger bolt since they are affordable and reliable. Is there anything I'm missing

Fishbed77
02-04-15, 16:01
Not sure about the receiver you will be using, but an adjustable v-block may be needed to combat barrel droop caused by a heavy bull-barrel.

I suggest you check out rimfirecentral.com. They are the 10/22 experts. Lots of good info. there.

a1madrid
02-04-15, 16:05
Ok thanks. I'm new to building a 10/22 so I'm just trying I figure out what I need

SWIGIN
02-04-15, 16:27
Not sure about the receiver you will be using, but an adjustable v-block may be needed to combat barrel droop caused by a heavy bull-barrel.

I suggest you check out rimfirecentral.com. They are the 10/22 experts. Lots of good info. there.

The adjustable V blocks are used for pressing any barrel up to try to fix a sloppy receiver barrel hole.

SWIGIN
02-04-15, 16:29
Ok thanks. I'm new to building a 10/22 so I'm just trying I figure out what I need

I have had several 10/22 rifles and have built 2 ultimate full boogie guns.

Like what was posted, go to rimfirecentral. That's where I first learned about really tuning up a 10/22.

themonk
02-04-15, 16:54
I have built a few and now I just buy my parts from Kidd. Tony's barrels are outstanding as is everything else he makes. Have a look at his youtube channel to get a feeling for just how anal he is - I like that.

JGrelle
02-04-15, 17:11
Kidd bolt, guide rod & charging handle.

a1madrid
02-04-15, 17:25
What is an adjustable v block?

EricTheRed
02-04-15, 18:12
Kidd kidd kidd. Eventually most everything on mine will be Kidd, and I'll be able to rebuild my stock one :cool:. I recently put a bell and Carlson Anshutz thumbhole stock on. Love it. Of course, some of the same questions apply to 10/22 as AR, namely, what do you want to do with it? A target tack driver will look different from a backpacking gun will look different from a tacticool gun.

As stated, do some looking on RFC.

RHINOWSO
02-05-15, 15:29
Like what was posted, go to rimfirecentral. That's where I first learned about really tuning up a 10/22.

This can't be repeated enough. RFC.

Hmac
02-05-15, 16:30
I've built and rebuilt a number of 10-22s. The Volquarsten trigger is nice, but the Kidd trigger is every bit as good, and cheaper. If you really want cost-efficient, get the Kidd trigger kit. Same result at about 1/2 the price.

It bears repeating....Kidd, not Volquartsen. And especially Kidd barrels over Green Mountain. IMHO.

SWIGIN
02-05-15, 17:02
Fred Feddersen makes a barrel that shoot just as good or better then my KIDD and his are much cheaper.

http://www.1022rifle.com/