PDA

View Full Version : Glock: Cutting the safety plunger spring and stretching it out

Codename46
02-04-15, 01:24
I have tried doing my research but there isn't much information in the Internet to go around, so I'll ask the experts here.

I've heard of some people cutting some coils on the safety plunger spring and stretching it back out again in order to reduce the weight of the takeup of the trigger. I've heard of critics of the technique saying that this is an extremely dangerous concept and will cause the safety plunger to fail, essentially eliminating the "drop safety" aspect of Glocks.

I tried playing this out in my head and I can't see why it would compromise the drop safety. I took apart my Glock and it seems like the plunger needs to travel significantly in order to physically allow the striker to operate properly. If you cut a few coils and stretch the spring back to original length, it doesn't affect the initial positioning of the plunger.

Can anyone chime in as to whether or not cutting a few coils off the spring really does pose a serious safety risk? I know a lot of people don't opt for this method but I just want to put out some food for thought.

Thanks.

t1tan
02-04-15, 02:25
Instead of going to the trouble of ****ing up a spring, why not just buy a lighter safety plunger spring from Wolff or any number of Glock parts dealers? At least you'll have a 100% stock spring if/when you go back.

Rattlehead
02-04-15, 02:31
I have tried doing my research but there isn't much information in the Internet to go around, so I'll ask the experts here.

I've heard of some people cutting some coils on the safety plunger spring and stretching it back out again in order to reduce the weight of the takeup of the trigger. I've heard of critics of the technique saying that this is an extremely dangerous concept and will cause the safety plunger to fail, essentially eliminating the "drop safety" aspect of Glocks.

I tried playing this out in my head and I can't see why it would compromise the drop safety. I took apart my Glock and it seems like the plunger needs to travel significantly in order to physically allow the striker to operate properly. If you cut a few coils and stretch the spring back to original length, it doesn't affect the initial positioning of the plunger.

Can anyone chime in as to whether or not cutting a few coils off the spring really does pose a serious safety risk? I know a lot of people don't opt for this method but I just want to put out some food for thought.

Thanks.

I can see if the gun got extremely dirty and buildup got in the plunger channel how it may hinder the plunger's ability to return downward. I'm definitely not advocating cutting down the safety plunger spring. If anything buy a lighter aftermarket plunger spring, but even then - vet it and make sure it functions properly.

Or you could just look into getting the APEX plunger.

4thPointOfContact
02-04-15, 03:44
As soon as you stretch the spring you've exceeded its elastic limit. It's now been permanently weakened and will fail sooner. Is putting parts that are more likely to fail into a pistol something you really want to do?

themonk
02-04-15, 05:45
As soon as you stretch the spring you've exceeded its elastic limit. It's now been permanently weakened and will fail sooner. Is putting parts that are more likely to fail into a pistol something you really want to do?

Exactly! This is beyond a bad idea. Messing with the guns safety mechanisms is a no go. If you want a better trigger buy one. If you want a lighter trigger by a minus connector.

We did some testing on the APEX plunger and saw no noticeable difference.

Texaspoff
02-04-15, 05:55
As others have said, do not stretch and or cut any spring in a firearm. This is not a good idea, as you will changed the dynamics of what that spring was designed to do. Buy a reduced striker block/safety spring. Zev, Wolf, there are several out there. I run Zev reduced ones in all my glocks. Trigger pull weight wise, they don't change much at all. The advantage of them for me, is they eliminate the slight change in trigger feel when the bar hits the safety plunger. My triggers have a nice smooth non interrupted pull until they hit the break point. FYI I have run the zev reduced firing pin safety spring in every glock I own, 3rd and 4th gen for several thousand rounds, and have never had an issue.

Here is three places to get them.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/trigger-parts/trigger-springs/firing-pin-safety-spring-only-sku100005561-27172-62736.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/480935/zev-technologies-reduced-power-firing-pin-safety-spring-glock-all-models

https://glockparts.com/Products.aspx?CAT=787

TXPO

Singlestack Wonder
02-04-15, 06:14
No reason to modify the trigger mechanism at all. Fix the perceived issue with a tool called practice.

ST911
02-04-15, 10:37
What you seem to be trying to accomplish isn't reached in that way. Leave it alone.

If you MUST mess with your gun, buy high quality replacement springs in weights of your choosing. Keep your expectations low to minimize disappointment.

Trajan
02-04-15, 23:07
Dry fire the gun both with the plunger in and then remove it completely (some USPSA guys do this). To me, I can't really find much of a difference.

Just do a polish job, minus connector, and stock springs.

26 Inf
02-04-15, 23:11
I think you would get better results by polishing the working edge of safety bump on the trigger bar and polishing the striker safety plunger.

Just google the you tube videos on polishing the safety plunger.

I'd don't like the minus connector - it feels mushy - I just use a standard connector.

Kain
02-04-15, 23:17
Apex makes a drop in plunger that is smoothed out that will smooth the trigger pull out some. Is it going to make you shoot inch groups? No. But it is noticeable and for someone like me who isn't inclined to **** with the FCG of a defensive gun(Not so much liability as much as I rather not screw with something that could cause a failure when my dick is on the line) without damn good reason it all I need in my Glocks. If I was to shoot more competitions with it I might mess with it further, but again, for a defensive gun it is good enough for a Glock, ergo, if I want a nicer trigger I'll grab my TRP or Beretta, but since neither have rails and I have more trigger time on the Glock that is my go to.

Endur
02-05-15, 00:54
Do Grants trigger polish tutorial. Worked wonders for me.

BufordTJustice
02-05-15, 20:34
Grab a Ghost Inc edge non adjustable connector, a Wolff xp trigger spring, and a Wolff 5lb striker spring. Then do Grants polish job. You'll be EXTREMELY PLEASED. I guarantee it.

Glock uses relatively low quality spring steel in my experience. Also, never stretch a spring like that.

williejc
02-06-15, 00:27
I learned this procedure to get a better trigger pull: swap out different triggers(with trigger bar) and you will likely see that one choice will produce a smooth let-off that will be highly satisfactory. I had three or four spares which I tried. If you don't have a box of spare parts, I suggest starting now to acquire an inventory.
This procedure works because of the Glock's looser tolerances. Most of us are experimenters and tinkerers and have tried all sorts of combinations found in the Glock trigger assemblies. But, many of have returned to the original factory set up for a defense pistol. The experts among us have reported that most Glock failures can be traced to after market parts or too much monkeying with the pistol.

I think that Skin Top recommended that the shooter try different triggers(with trigger bar) to obtain a smoother, crisper trigger pull, and I think that he suggested this trick almost four years ago.

buckshot1220
02-06-15, 08:08
The reduced power plunger spring is like a $4 part. Why would you even bother??? Zev, Ghost etc. all make 'em. I still don't recommend it, but it is way better than this "cut and stretch" method you want to try.

Hemoglobin
02-06-15, 09:23
I wouldn't over do it. Every time I had a Glock trigger project I got mush as a result. Buying the 17 smooth face trigger/bar, reloading and putting a few k rounds through the gun did more than any polish job I ever did. I tried different spring weights... everything recommended. Went back to stock products and I replace my springs every few thousand rounds. They are cheap, the gun has polished it's self out and it's consistent.

ST911
02-06-15, 16:58
I think that Skin Top recommended that the shooter try different triggers(with trigger bar) to obtain a smoother, crisper trigger pull, and I think that he suggested this trick almost four years ago.

Yes. I don't remember what we were talking about at the time, but if you have several connectors and trigger bars you can often find a good combo.

Mysteryman
02-06-15, 18:46
Leave it alone and spend your time and money on training. The fundamentals of marksmanship are transferable from brand to brand and from rifle to pistol. The vast majority of aftermarket parts are gimmicks and junk.

MM