PDA

View Full Version : Knee Pads

Zip06
06-12-06, 15:44
Having learned the hard way that all gear is not made to the best benefit of the enduser, does anyone have any recommendations for knee pads or elbow protection? I am finding it quite bothersome abusing my knees and elbows.

blackhawk2000
06-12-06, 17:29
Alta's with the buckles seem to be a big favorite. I have some Hatch. They are OK, but can be uncomfortable at times. They are probably the second most mentioned.

Dport
06-12-06, 17:39
I have hatch knee pads as well, and I agree with blackhawk's assessment.

USMC03
06-12-06, 21:10
Alta's are the way to go and you can pick them up at most Home Depot / Lowes / Etc.

I have tried just about everything out there and Altas tend to be the most comfortable / offer the best protection.

Velcro attachments tend to be too comfortable and I always end up putting them on too tight causing pain and loss of circulation (they feel fine until you start moving around for a while) or too loose and they won't stay put.

ArchAngel
06-15-06, 18:33
I've only looked at the Altas and they look good.

I've used Hatch quite a bit. I recently finished a 2 week sniper instructor course and used the Hatch knee pads throughout - no problems at all and I wasn't readjusting them at all.

The only issue I had with them was during a 75 yard run through a course of fire where they dropped down on the way to the 100 yard line. I don't blame the knee pads, I blame all the up and down before the run and that I probably didn't have them secured properly.

We ran the same exercise several times and I only had the problem once.

tomalibrando
06-23-06, 10:19
I used to use Centurion pads for a while. They would not stay where they supposed to and they pinched the back of your legs. The Hatch knee pads seem to stay put and feel great too. The pads that insert in the 511 pants are a bit thin and really don't help too much, especially if you have to stay in a kneeling position for a while.

MEANGREEN
07-03-06, 01:52
+1 on the Altas for comfort and fit.

I've found the Hatch knee pads to be a bit short on the
adjustment strap where the Altas straps are longer.

Plus they offer them in various colors that other
companies don't have like ACU and Coyote Brown.

RyanB
07-03-06, 02:22
I have used Hatch pads extensively. Every time, sooner or later, the plastic loop turns sideways and the pads loosen up--too much strap to tighten back up on my legs.... The Altas have a pivot there, so this is never going to be an issue. Next time I am going to buy Altas.

SWAT OPERATOR
07-03-06, 09:27
Knee Pads & Elbow Pads - You can buy Black Hawk, Hatch brands, but it is best to buy professional skateboarder pads. Brand name "Pro-Tec" Called "Ramp Knee Pads" They don't slide off your knee while walking or running ! They are well padded. Knee pads price $69.99 / Elbow pads price $29.99 worth the price. Pro-Tec company makes tactical / skateboarder safety equipments.

Vinnie
07-30-06, 22:57
+1 on the altas, as I too have the hatch pads the altas dont bind on the back of the knee as the hatch ones do {to me at least} and since they cost about the same spend the bread and pick up a pair.:D

Boomer10
07-31-06, 05:02
I'm not exactly a HSLD guy, but these are the best knee pads that I've used. Even if one of the clips comes loose the knee pad stays in place. http://www.dextermeadows.com/index.php

Robb Jensen
07-31-06, 05:14
I use Hatch neoprene elbow and knee pads.

Policetacteam
09-13-06, 16:44
The Altas work better than the other brands I've tried. They stay put even after long periods of training or running. Very comfortable as well!

ASH556
02-14-11, 11:51
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but Hey, I used the search function and this is what came up. I had a pair of ALTA's and the buckle broke the first time I used them. Did I just get a rotten pair and should buy others? A buddy is highly recommending the Arcteryx.

Hmac
02-14-11, 13:16
I had the Alta's for years. They held up OK, but were annoying in that they were kind of bulky and they wouldn't stay in position. I really tried to order the new version Arctyrx Kneecaps several months ago but nobody had them so I went with the Black Diamond Telekinesis. Those are very nice. They're very light, flex well, and stay in position, and they're $40. I wish they were a little thicker, but they've worked well. My one complaint is the smell. Those knee pads have some kind of chemical smell to 'em that literally brings tears to my eyes when I open my gear bag.

http://SSEquine.net/telekneesis.jpg

Still curious about the Arctyrx. Might head over to Grey Group and see if they're in stock yet. $60 knee pads just have to be great....

/

karmapolice
02-14-11, 14:00
The best knee pads I have used by far and will recommend to anyone are the Arc'teryx knee pads. I have an orignal alpine set before they started selling the same set up in mil colors (only difference is instead of a yellow padding they are green now for the LEAF versions.) I have worn them multiple days while snowboarding and have forgotten they were on until taking hard hits on my knees and not feeling any pain at all. They flex well and protect the lower part of the knee under the knee cap which is a big deal and they do not have velcro but rather a locking buckle that is much better than velcro to me at least.

Grey Group sells them in the LEAF colors here is a link: http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-2731/KNEECAP/Detail.bok

and here is an image (source Arc'teryx LEAF site)

http://images.arcteryx.com/S11/355W-png/Military-Knee-Caps-Foliage-Green.png

Hmac
02-14-11, 14:13
The best knee pads I have used by far and will recommend to anyone are the Arc'teryx knee pads

. ...

Grey Group sells them in the LEAF colors here is a link: http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-2731/KNEECAP/Detail.bok

STILL backordered at Grey Group. These things look like vaporware to me.

I'm sure Grey Group is a great bunch of people. I always look at their web site before purchasing something, but I have YET to ever have them have what I need in stock. Not complaining, just observing.

karmapolice
02-14-11, 14:22
IF you don't mind the yellow (I wear mine under my pants so it doesn't bother me) backcountry.com has them in stock, not trying to take business from Grey Group as they are an outstanding company but I know whats it is like to have a lack of patience or need something fast.

http://www.backcountry.com/arcteryx-kneecaps

rob_s
02-14-11, 14:24
STILL backordered at Grey Group. These things look like vaporware to me.

I'm sure Grey Group is a great bunch of people. I always look at their web site before purchasing something, but I have YET to ever have them have what I need in stock. Not complaining, just observing.

I exchanged emails with a sales rep, and the kneepads were undergoing a redesign. That's why nobody has them in stock.

Hmac
02-14-11, 14:34
IF you don't mind the yellow (I wear mine under my pants so it doesn't bother me) backcountry.com has them in stock, not trying to take business from Grey Group as they are an outstanding company but I know whats it is like to have a lack of patience or need something fast.

http://www.backcountry.com/arcteryx-kneecaps

Thanks for the tip. I discovered them there too and just ordered them from Backcountry. I don't care what they look like.

I exchanged emails with a sales rep, and the kneepads were undergoing a redesign. That's why nobody has them in stock.

That's exactly what Grey Group told me back in June. A redesign of the buckles IIRC. Who's doing the redesign...Magpul? ;)

Hot Sauce
02-15-11, 12:14
I've used Hatch and the Dexter Meadows clip on knee pads, both with high success. About as comfy as knee-pads as I ever remember. I suggest you DO NOT get skateboard ones like Pro-Tec. They will stay on well when walking around, but if you sit on your knee for a while on them, you'll realize how bulky they are.

skd_tactical
02-15-11, 14:21
I used the Alta knee pads exclusively since 2003. I recently got a pair of the infamous Arc'teryx Knee pads through the LEAF program but haven't used them enough to say how awesome they are. I generally run around with my knee pads protecting my ankles though...... yes, I know they don't do me any good there. The Arc'Teryx Knee pads are very minimalistic though and don't make me sweat like all other knee pads have in the past, and they cover what needs to be covered.

SOS

Madnik
02-16-11, 17:23
Another Alta fan.

Watrdawg
02-16-11, 17:36
Has anyone tried the Cry Precision elbow and knee pads that fit into either the field or combat pants and shirts?

JSantoro
02-16-11, 23:39
Arc'teryx, hands down. Good yet not bulky padding and the plastic caps on the outside aren't so hard that they don't grip and end up ice-skating your knee out from under you on surfaces like concrete.

I know a lot of folks that replace the buckles because the stock ones aren't the most secure design in the world, but I haven't had any issues to this point. That may be because I wear them under my pants more often than not.

Dano5326
02-17-11, 08:09
no brainer

Arcteryx adaptable for most any situation

Crye.. if you have crye pants, or the pads will fit in your pants

Dave L.
02-17-11, 10:25
Arc'teryx, hands down.

I have a pair of these on order from the LEAF Program. I tried a buddies, and these are indeed badass.

Hmac
02-18-11, 17:59
Here's my view of the Black Diamond and Arc'Teryx knee pads. I think these two kind of render the Altas irrelevant except for the very cost-conscious.

I've had bilateral knee surgery, so I pay close attention to knee protection for kneeling. After years of Altas I wanted to get the Arc'Teryx a few months ago. The LEAF versions weren't available. Buckle revisions, I was told. I got the Black Diamond. I must say, they were a revelation. Very light, very flexible, didn't fall down around my ankles. Really excellent, but I did notice they lacked a little bit in the padding department. Today, they delivered a pair of the Arc'Teryx Knee Caps. These are the non-LEAF version. The LEAF version still appears to be MIA, and reportedly for the same reason as last August.

The straps and buckles are identical in every way on these Arc'Teryx and Black Diamond knee pads. The shell material is likewise identical. They are similar or identical in weight. The big difference is that the padding is noticeably thicker closed-cell foam(about twice as thick over the kneecap) on the Arc'Teryx and that makes a huge difference to me in kneeling comfort. For those of you with non-surgical knees, I'll bet you'd find the Black Diamond to be excellent. As to the LEAF version, I've worked the Black Diamonds fairly hard and the straps/buckles have worked just fine. I wouldn't be afraid to get either the Black Diamonds or the non-LEAF Arc'Teryx. The Black Diamonds are about $20 cheaper.

http://ssequine.net/kneefronts.jpg

http://ssequine.net/kneebacks.jpg

http://ssequine.net/kneesides.jpg

JChops
02-18-11, 23:11
Arc'teryx is revising the buckles again? As in, V3? They revised them to V2 (the two-part tension/hook buckle) about 6 months ago and have been shipping for a while.

The V2 buckles are distinctly different from the yellow ones you posted in the photos:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004431/ArcKneePads.jpg

Hmac
02-19-11, 04:57
Arc'teryx is revising the buckles again? As in, V3? They revised them to V2 (the two-part tension/hook buckle) about 6 months ago and have been shipping for a while.

The V2 buckles are distinctly different from the yellow ones you posted in the photos:

There are two versions of the Arc'Teryx knee pads...LEAF, with the hook buckles and black or foliage color you showed above, and the climbing version that I showed above with the clasp-type buckle. The LEAF versions tend to be spotty in their availability and AFAIK aren't available anywhere ATM. I didn't want to wait so I bought the climbing version. Those buckles have worked fine for me so far on the Black Diamonds.

It was about 6 months ago that I was told by Grey Group that they weren't available because they were redesigning the buckles. Rob_s says he exchanged emails with a sales rep who told him current unavailability was due to a redesign. Whether that's a second re-design (v3) or they're still redesigning the first version (v2), I don't know. IOW they are either unavailable again, or unavailable still. All I know is that I can't order them.

BH375
02-19-11, 21:53
I've had the choice of many different types of knee-pads, and rely exclusively on the Arcteryx pads. I've worn them in both Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as in training here in CONUS, and am convinced that they're the best out there at this time.

In missions from Farah to Panjwai to Paktika to Konar, I've found the Arcteryx pads to be up to any abuse that I could inflict on them, as protective or more protective, despite the low profile, and still to be cool and not give you that back-of-the-knee irritation that other, heavier pads (Alta, Hatch, etc.) inevitably dish out. Even though Arcteryx has seen fit to redesign the buckles twice now, I've never had trouble with them. Especially now, after four knee surgeries to fix damage from a fall on my knee in Afghanistan (the one time I wasn't wearing them), I won't use anything else.

Dave L.
02-20-11, 06:53
The black ones are currently in stock if you have a LEAF account.

Find ManBearPig!
02-21-11, 02:55
Alta's are the way to go and you can pick them up at most Home Depot / Lowes / Etc.

I have tried just about everything out there and Altas tend to be the most comfortable / offer the best protection.

Velcro attachments tend to be too comfortable and I always end up putting them on too tight causing pain and loss of circulation (they feel fine until you start moving around for a while) or too loose and they won't stay put.

Have to agree, the Alta's are great. Get the Alta-Lok, it's way better than velcro. I'd order of off SKD Tactical, they have a big selection of colors and amazing shipping speeds.

nimdabew
02-21-11, 12:54
Have to agree, the Alta's are great. Get the Alta-Lok, it's way better than velcro. I'd order of off SKD Tactical, they have a big selection of colors and amazing shipping speeds.

I just got my pair of Altas and from dicking around in my apartment, they seem like they will work. The two different kinds of strapping really help with keeping them secure to your knees.

Hmac
02-21-11, 13:18
I just got my pair of Altas and from dicking around in my apartment, they seem like they will work. The two different kinds of strapping really help with keeping them secure to your knees.

My experience with the Alta's over many years is that they will fall down around your ankles, hooks or velcro.

One effective solution for that is little beads of silicone on the upper and lower straps and across the inside of the pad.

Bourneshooter
02-21-11, 16:32
I bought these from SKD back in 2009. Used them since then for range work. http://www.skdtac.com/Alta_Superflex_Knee_Pads_p/alt.602.htm

I would like to get a pair of the Crye Combat pants and kneepads to try as well as a pair of the Dirty Bird LEAF kneepads. Really interested as they appear to be a better design than what I'm currently running. If you adjust the lower strap slightly loose, it makes them very comfortable.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/DSCN0576.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/27109_409931009253_737869253_510618.jpg

Boss Hogg
02-21-11, 19:19
Kyle Lamb switched me on to the ancient chicken (Arc'teryx) "Knee Caps" two years ago and they work great. Light and compact.

For elbow pads, I've been using soft Mizunos. I think they're for volleyball..

rob_s
02-23-11, 14:27
There are two versions of the Arc'Teryx knee pads...LEAF, with the hook buckles and black or foliage color you showed above, and the climbing version that I showed above with the clasp-type buckle. The LEAF versions tend to be spotty in their availability and AFAIK aren't available anywhere ATM. I didn't want to wait so I bought the climbing version. Those buckles have worked fine for me so far on the Black Diamonds.

Pros/cons on the two buckle types?

Hmac
02-23-11, 19:01
Pros/cons on the two buckle types?

Tightening knee pad straps is something I do a fair amount during the course of a training day. It's easier to do that with the cam-lock buckles and straps than with the hook connectors, which have to be removed to be readusted, based on my experience with the current version Alta's. OTOH, it's easier to put on the hook-types straps, like the Alta's and LEAF ArcTx, and there are no dangling straps. Overall, I prefer the cam-lock straps to the Alta's hook-type. I don't know if that opinion could be extended to the LEAF version.

manderson2228
03-19-11, 09:08
I just wanted to chime in and say thanks to all those with great advice in this thread. After reading through it I decided to go with the Alta with the hook from SKD link posted earlier.. Love them already was wearing them around the house ;) Great advice thanks!

variablebinary
03-19-11, 09:47
I've been running the Hatch Xtak for 2 years now. They've been in the field many times, in all types of terrain and so far they've been real champs. They don't slide once you get them correctly adjusted.

Worth well above what they cost me.

kac
03-20-11, 12:47
I just used the Arcteryx Knee protectors (from Grey Group) yesterday at a training class for the first time. They were great, giving complete protection and were extremely comfortable even on hard gravel.

I had always had problems with protectors sliding down to my ankles but over the course of an eight hour day, I had none of that. I'm definitely pleased with them.

Edit-thanks nowayout!

nowayout
03-20-11, 14:01
Im sure Kac meant comfortable. At least I think he did ;)

mkmckinley
03-20-11, 14:30
Personally I err on the side of smaller, "just enough" protection for knees and elbows. I've never had a set of strap-on kneepads that managed to stay in place while walking around for more than a few hundred meters. I got sick of adjusting them all the time and learned to just go without but recently I've been able to try the Crye knee and elbow pants that come in their combat shirt/pants. Since they insert into the garment they stay put and they're not too bulky. I've also used the old ACU foam inserts and they're not too bad either.

variablebinary
03-23-11, 04:11
Personally I err on the side of smaller, "just enough" protection for knees and elbows. I've never had a set of strap-on kneepads that managed to stay in place while walking around for more than a few hundred meters. I got sick of adjusting them all the time and learned to just go without but recently I've been able to try the Crye knee and elbow pants that come in their combat shirt/pants. Since they insert into the garment they stay put and they're not too bulky. I've also used the old ACU foam inserts and they're not too bad either.

I like the Crye pants. Sadly, they aren't issue. I tried the ACU inserts, but this results in your ACU knees and elbows getting worn all to hell by rocks and whatever.

Ejh28
03-29-11, 19:27
If you want some soft shelled knee pads that you can wear inside of pants, and not worry about them shifting/ falling down, I highly recommend paintball company knee pads. I have some 05 EVIL pads that I still use, and the newer (08-09 DYE) work really well too.

But thats just if you want some soft pads. They won't stop your pants from ripping, but they sure will protect your knees. And they're built to be worn and used hard all day without slipping/falling down.

Mitch
04-07-11, 13:49
I've had the Black Diamond Telekenesis Knee pads for the better part of 6 months now and have used them for various things around the house and short range sessions. I recently had the opportunity to put them to work during a 3 day pistol course and am very pleased with them.

Before finding my career I was in outdoor equipment retail and sold both Black Diamond and Arcteryx so I'm familiar with both brands and find them comparable in quality. My decision to buy the Telekenisis came down to price and availability. The Arcteryx Knee Caps weren't on the shelf locally and cost roughly $60 vs. the $40 Telekenesis. They're also very popular so finding them online can be difficult at times, especially the LEAF models. Needless to say, I found the BD's in a local gear shop and the price was right.

They performed as expected on the range, I didn't really notice they were there. The temp was pushing mid 90's and even in the heat they weren't uncomfortable. They didn't shift during various drills over the 2 days I wore them. I beat them up and expect that they'll continue to perform for years to come. Anyone looking at knee pads should take a hard look at these, reasonable price, good quality, and comfortable.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/uglyfireduck/P1010001-5.jpg

toasterlocker
04-22-11, 03:56
I recently received some Black Diamond Telekinesis knee pads after reading the positive reviews here. That said, after one 10 hour day of moderate use, I have concerns about how long they will last. A small tear has already begun to develop on one of the pads in between the small top plastic shell and larger middle plastic shell.

I'm not trying to bad mouth the product, as they haven't fallen apart on me yet, and they are very comfortable and effective, but I thought it was a concern worth bringing up. If/when the tear get bigger, I'll post about it then. I don't have any more classes/quals coming up soon, so it will probably be awhile before I use the pads again.

Mitch
04-22-11, 08:08
That sounds like a defect. They have a lifetime warranty, you could always send them to Black Diamond. I'd beat the hell out of them till the wheels fall off unless it impedes function somehow.

thutton
04-22-11, 13:35
For the past two years Ive been using the Team Wendy standard non slip knee pads. They provide really good protection and do not slip down even when not on really tight. Only complaint is they dont breath very well and I sweat a lot under the pads.

toasterlocker
04-22-11, 15:59
That sounds like a defect. They have a lifetime warranty, you could always send them to Black Diamond. I'd beat the hell out of them till the wheels fall off unless it impedes function somehow.

I was kind of thinking that, but I was concerned when I saw on the packaging it said they were "FOR SKIING USE ONLY" and I obviously haven't been using them for skiing. I guess I will just cross that bridge when I come to it and not worry about it until then.

Bourneshooter
04-23-11, 10:41
I picked up a pair of the Dirty Bird LEAF Knee Caps from Grey Group. Been using them for about a month now and its a huge improvement over the Alta knee pads I was using before. They stay in place and do not shift like the knee pads did during use.

Have ran with them and no shifting issues either.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/GUNS/DSCN1314.jpg