PDA

View Full Version : Harris Bipod - Solid vs. Swivel Base? Do I need swivel for bench target shooting???

falconman515
02-04-15, 23:55
So I am looking to purchase a new Harris Bipod for my new BCM AR

I currently use a basic UTG QD base extendable leg bipod. Great bipod for the money but I get a little play and movement in the legs when on the bench and (it rocks forward and back a bit to much, I hope the Harris is more solid then that???)

I am wanting to try the Harris due to the great reputation plus it's still in the manageable under 100 bucks price point (no I'm not going to buy and Atlas etc.)

ALSO - I am hoping the legs when locked and on the bench have zero play forward and back .... I want something SOLID when target shooting from the bench, will I get that from this Harris bipod???

SO .... I see they have a Solid version and Swivel version

My first thought for me since I will not being using this other then a flat bench, I don't hunt, won't be shooting from really anything uneven ever I don;t think is the Solid version would be best and fine for my needs.

So I am wanting to know if I am missing something and what the advantage the swivel version would have for MY type of shooting over the solid that would constitute the extra 40 odd bucks more (then I would need the swivel lock thing as well which looks like another 30 bucks to stop the swivel ... so really like 70 bucks more).

I am sold on the Harris BRM (W/ leg notches) I think and getting the PWS Keymod bipod mount adapter (since I do not want a pic rail And a bipod adapter on that as well ... the PWS mount does away with the extra pic mount).

Just really needing to know if the Swivel for the really high extra premium is something I should even bother with and why!?!?!

Thanks guys for any info you can provide here. :D

EDIT: .... one more question .... 6-9" or 9-13" ..... my current bipod is a 9-11" and last trip I did extend it out past the 9" non-extended .... makes me think the 6-9" may be too short for me from the bench .... Thoughts???

Marlin 795
02-05-15, 04:44
Most bipods will have forward and back "play", for the purpose of loading the bipod forward for stability and recoil management. Not really an issue with 223, but that's why it exists. The Atlas has the same thing.

Leg notches are definitely sweet. The Harris BRM-S is a very nice bipod and a large amount of top level marksmen use them--faster than the Atlas to deploy in a hurry.

Failure2Stop
02-05-15, 07:53
Swivel is good, as there are very few truly flat surfaces in the world, and having the gun truly vertical is crucial for long range precision.

rooski
02-05-15, 08:05
I have a 6-9" swivel bipod and when shooting off the bench (standard height shooting range table) I never raise the legs above it's lowest level (I'm 5'10"). I guess if you are really tall and have a high back bag for the stock the longer 9-13" bipod would be better.

markm
02-05-15, 08:08
Agree. Swivel is a must for me. Many of the Harris pods I shoot on other guys' guns are too loose. Drives me nuts. I think there's some adjustments on them, but the often feel like you're balancing the gun on an ice pick.

Atlas is much nicer if you don't need a rapid deploy bipod.

Onyx Z
02-05-15, 08:18
I have a Harris 9-13 without the swivel, but I want a 6-9 with the swivel as I shoot on unlevel ground a lot of the time (when I actually have time).

I would like to get an Atlas, but there is no way in hell I'm spending $250+ when a Harris suits my needs.

OP, if you are interested, I can offer you my Harris 9-13 without leg notches...

Noodles
02-05-15, 17:58
I have a Harris 9-13 without the swivel, but I want a 6-9 with the swivel as I shoot on unlevel ground a lot of the time (when I actually have time).

I would like to get an Atlas, but there is no way in hell I'm spending $250+ when a Harris suits my needs.

OP, if you are interested, I can offer you my Harris 9-13 without leg notches...

Another vote for swivel, and one decidedly against Atlas. They're a whole lot of hype imo. They just never feel as stable for me during follow through when even when loaded, and when unloaded I kinda hate them, and it's not like you can 'always' load.

My next one will be a LaRue Harris

falconman515
02-05-15, 19:05
Well Crap ... So $70 more for swivel :(

Hmmmm

I just feel like I don't have it now with my cheap UTG bipod that what I may gain.

Guess though I have never used one and maybe there will be an advantage there I dunno

Well crap :p

b2dap1
02-05-15, 20:12
Larue has bad ass upgraded bi pods with QD. Not so cheap but top of the line and super easy on and off

falconman515
02-05-15, 23:10
If I bought the swivel version ....

Do I Have to buy the swivel "S" lock arm to lock it down (keep it from swiveling)???

The swivel version is another 40 bucks along and then another 30 bucks for the lock :(

in the end almost double the price of the standard non -swivel .... I want to not regret it but $70 bucks for the standard OR $135 total with S lock for the swivel version!!!

Just hard to justify paying twice the price JUST to have a swivel that 9 chances out of 10 I will lock down dead straight anyway.

I want to make the right choice but not waste money doing it is all.

Marlin 795
02-06-15, 03:33
Google "rifle cant error" and then get back to us on whether you think its worth it to be able to correct rifle cant.

falconman515
02-06-15, 03:59
Larue has bad ass upgraded bi pods with QD. Not so cheap but top of the line and super easy on and off

http://www.laruetactical.com/bipods?sort=popular

I LIKE These .... you don't have to mess with swivel stud adapters etc. with the Pic rail mount built right in the Harris Bipod ... PLUS is has a large over sized knob so there is no need for the "S" lever add-on either.

If I bought the Keymod stud adapter, Harris swivel bipod and S lever it would run about $160 .... the Larue model is sleeker and QD for $220 ... 60 bucks more for the QD and simplify as well.

And crap they have a fully loaded Atlas with a LaRue mount as well for 280 bucks ... so now is worth ANOTHER 60 bucks over the harris ... LOL ... FML ... ;p

Great ... I didn't want to spend like 150 bucks on the set-up I have been looking at but now thinking about spending more for the Larue QD mount set-up ... not sure if they charge shipping but I'm sure ... it's getting out my under 100 bucks price range I started with.

Holy crap this never ends and it's killing my wallet. :(

swinokur
02-06-15, 05:16
If you get then swivel, consider the Alpha Bravol swivel handle. Makes adjustments easier.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2748153528/alpha-bravo-bipod-lock-for-harris-s-model-bipods-angled-handle

bryanZ06
02-06-15, 05:33
Another option for you to consider...

http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=38&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

I have this bipod mounted to an Atlas rail on my FN SPR. It feels more solid than the ADM/Harris combo that I had on my MWS. The ADM used the existing hardware/sling stud attachment method for the Harris and while I like the ADM QD, I always felt like the bipod was going to loosen up on the stud. The Alamo Four Star does away with the Harris mounting method and uses their own. It feels more solid than a Harris with an adapter, it's cheaper than the comparable Larue, comes with a knob to adjust tension, and I think Alamo Four Star has a better QD method.

tuckerman725
02-06-15, 06:38
I have the following set up:

Harris 6-9 with swivel
S Lock and
The ARMS 32 http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/ARMS-32.html

I bought this over time and just realized that I could have bought a Larue

But have it now and works great for me

Eurodriver
02-06-15, 06:57
Agree. Swivel is a must for me. Many of the Harris pods I shoot on other guys' guns are too loose. Drives me nuts. I think there's some adjustments on them, but the often feel like you're balancing the gun on an ice pick.

Atlas is much nicer if you don't need a rapid deploy bipod.

My buddy just put a new Harris on his .338 and that thing looks like it is going to snap off with the very first shot.

I am an Atlas convert.

BrigandTwoFour
02-06-15, 12:22
Bipods, like most things in the shooting world, are a matter of getting what you pay for. I used a 6"-9" fixed Harris for years, and it was serviceable for shooting off of a bench. But I use an Atlas now, and I don't plan on going back. You don't need a bipod for every rifle. Look at it as part of an overall gear set. I can move the bipod from rifle to rifle as needed. After all, you can really only shoot one at a time.

falconman515
02-06-15, 13:02
After all, you can really only shoot one at a time.

Whhhaaaaattt???? :laugh:

Pappabear
02-06-15, 14:58
My buddy just put a new Harris on his .338 and that thing looks like it is going to snap off with the very first shot.

I am an Atlas convert.

On the heavier guns, the stability shines through on that Atlas. And I prefer Atlas. I still run both because I don't have $20,000 to invest into Atlas for every AR , Hunting and tactical gun. For a 556 AR with a ACOG, Harris still works ok

filthy phil
02-06-15, 19:50
The feet spin which gives you plenty of range at the bench. Get the plain

Ranger325
02-06-15, 20:20

It's have this Harris swivel with QD from LaRue on my Noveske. Only had it for a few months, so not a great amount of rounds, but I'm very pleased off the bench or belly in the dirt. FWIW.......

falconman515
02-06-15, 23:57
Another option for you to consider...

http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=38&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

I have this bipod mounted to an Atlas rail on my FN SPR. It feels more solid than the ADM/Harris combo that I had on my MWS. The ADM used the existing hardware/sling stud attachment method for the Harris and while I like the ADM QD, I always felt like the bipod was going to loosen up on the stud. The Alamo Four Star does away with the Harris mounting method and uses their own. It feels more solid than a Harris with an adapter, it's cheaper than the comparable Larue, comes with a knob to adjust tension, and I think Alamo Four Star has a better QD method.m

Very cool but if I'm paying that much I prefer to pay extra and get something with a QD mount like the LaRue

You say it has a better QD, I don't even see any kind of throw lever, just a knob ... It's basically a standard knob mount with a large knob attached to make it easier to tighten from what I can see ... Seems like it may be less solid that way and not as easy

JohnnyC
02-07-15, 00:47
If all you're ever going to do is shoot it from a flat bench why even bother with a bipod anyway? Get a solid set of bags or a lead sled.

HKGuns
02-07-15, 06:37
Swivel for me as well. Works just dandy at the bench or in the woods.

jpmuscle
02-07-15, 06:51
Swivel with a pod loc is the way to go. But the atlas is even better. So I vote atlas

bryanZ06
02-07-15, 07:55
m

Very cool but if I'm paying that much I prefer to pay extra and get something with a QD mount like the LaRue

You say it has a better QD, I don't even see any kind of throw lever, just a knob ... It's basically a standard knob mount with a large knob attached to make it easier to tighten from what I can see ... Seems like it may be less solid that way and not as easy

My Harris/ADM combo came off in about 2 seconds. This one takes 5 seconds. The knob turns maybe 5 or 6 times from full tight on the rail to completely open. Once you get it there you push in on the knob and the opposite side of the mount pushes open. It basically operates the same as an ADM mount except for the fact that it has a knob instead of a lever.

If ADM had made a Harris upper that got rid of the Harris attachment method I would have gone with that based on owning other ADM pieces. With that being said, I'm totally happy with my current setup.

falconman515
08-17-15, 01:11
Well I'm finally ditching my cheap UTG bipod ..... ( http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Tactical-Bi-Pod-Center-Height/dp/B004KSJDB0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1439789134&sr=8-10&keywords=UTG+bipod )

I am planing on getting a Harris Bipod .... now I am stuck again on Two Questions ...

6"-9" or 9"-13" ???

and second question ....

Swivel or Non-Swivel???

I will primarily 95% of the time be shooting from a local range bench or a fold out table when shooting in the desert of local land with no benches.
I won't be shooting on much uneven terrain.
I currently have the UTG which is 8"-13" and I tend to run it at the lowest 8" setting or a notch or two higher.
I know the 7-9" mark is perfect for bench I think but what if I need more height ... BUT on the other side I know I can go higher when needing more then the 6" ... but with the 9-13 I can't go ANY lower then 9" and sometimes I think I may want to. ... just not sure here :(

Plus I have no decided on the mount I want to put it on .....

I have a BCM 13" KMR Keymod Rail and I am tossing around with going with the Precision Weapons Systems Keymod Bi-Pod Adapter (not a fan of it being polymer though) then adding a standard Harris Bi-pod ... http://www.primaryarms.com/PWS_KeyMod_Bipod_Adapter_p/5kmhbea1.htm

Or since I currently have a 3" keymod picatinny rail already on the front end of my rail I'm thinking the American Defense Bi-Pod Mount (since I LOVE the QD aspect and I already have a AD QD mount for my Scope .... http://www.primaryarms.com/American_Defense_Bipod_Mount_BLK_p/ad-bp-bk.htm

Any thoughts and suggestions here???

Thanks so much for the help again. :)

b2dap1
08-17-15, 04:54
I vote 6-9 with a QD mount for sure.

mark5pt56
08-17-15, 06:58
As mentioned for various reasons, get this

http://www.larue.com/harris-bipod-brm-s-and-lt706-qd-swivel-mount-combo

gaRTR
08-17-15, 08:09
I have the Harris BRM-S 6-9 and ADM QD mount for my rifles and have had zero problems, really like the set-up. When shooting off a bench I keep it at the lowest setting. I got the swivel cause I hunt with it on a couple guns. To me its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

TinyCrumb
08-17-15, 10:21
I think it's been mentioned, but yes, definitely swivel. But also make sure and get a pod loc. Essentially gives you a quick handle to adjust the tension on the swivel. I leave mine fairly tight and then just quickly loosen it up if the situation dictates.

BillyJack556
08-17-15, 13:33
I like you only use my bipod on the bench. I had the same delima as you several years ago before I purchased my Harris 6-9 non swivel. I have not regretted my decision, works perfectly and best quality for the buck.

If I was using it on the ground in the field I would get the swivel 9-13 but the height and swivel are not necessary for the bench IMO. Of course if funds are not a problem get one of each and don't worry about our 2 cents! :D

ace4059
08-17-15, 16:19
I have all Harris swivel bipods. But the non swivel solid mounted one would work for just bench shooting if the bench is level. I prefer the bipods with leg notches, The 6-9 for bench and the 9-13 for prone shooting.

I also use the T-nuts.com handle for the swivel adjustments. They have a coupon code for 10% off, ar152015 I have three of the metal and stainless handles and am happy with them. The three was for the price of one on the other sites I looked at.

falconman515
08-18-15, 01:44
On the Swivel models .... how hard is it to get it lined back up center again?

I do not have or plan on putting any kind of level on my AR so my question in ya it would be nice just in case you are not on level ground or table BUT how do I know when using the swivel function when my rifle is once again straight and level?

I get the purpose of it but correct me if I'm wrong ... without some kind of bubble level you are never 100% sure you are completely level right?

Midway USA has these bipods on sale so I need to figure out which model I am gonna go with.

For my use I am thinking I'll go with the 6-9" length

Now I just need to figure out of the Swivel function is really what I need and if I will even be able to use properly without have a level of some kind.

Thanks for the help guys .... I just sent back my cheap UTG bipod and now I am ready to buy something ... just gotta figure what that is now. :)

samuse
08-18-15, 10:29
You either eyeball level or install a level on your scope mount.

A swivel is necessary for shooting on the ground.

I have a Harris/LaRue and it's an ok bipod. The swivel or cant lock doesn't lock well, so I have to re-level after every shot. Another annoying thing in that the legs rotate making it a PITA to use on hard surfaces.

My newest bipod is an Atlas PSR and it's worth every penny over the Harris.

wanderson
09-04-15, 13:16
I have a Harris 6-9" swivel on a Larue QD mount, easy swap between all my rifles. I'd recommend a swivel as well but not absolutely needed for benchtop shooting if it's a good flat surface. 6 to 9" handles all my 20 & 30 round mags with room to spare.

Failure2Stop
09-04-15, 13:21
You will always regret not being able to quickly relevel between shots if you don't get one that permits cant adjustment.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba
Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff

wigbones
09-04-15, 14:47
Another vote for the swivel. This weekend would be a great time to purchase with all the holiday sales. I picked up a good deal from dsg arms earlier this year. This weekend they are offering 10% off. Hard to beat the price when you buy it with the adm quick release mount.

556BlackRifle
09-04-15, 15:57
IMO a bipod is almost worthless without the ability to swivel. Take it from a guy who learned his lessons the hard way, it's always cheaper to buy the right way the first time. :)