PDA

View Full Version : Ever take a Lower paying job to be happier?

markm
02-05-15, 11:38
I'm talking a job that would mean you have to cut back on luxury items for sure.

nova3930
02-05-15, 11:41
I have not but I would, especially if it meant I could spend more time with my son...

chuckman
02-05-15, 11:42
I gave up a management job once, which was salary. The crap I had to put up with was stupid-crazy. I got fed up and took a lower paying job, hourly. Cutting back on luxury items? It was painful for a while but we adjusted. It is amazing how much I learned to do without, which in turn taught me what was really valuable (family time, etc).

MBtech
02-05-15, 11:46
Yes Sir, $2 less per hour and 30 more miles away from home. Less $ but less stress and less BS to put up with.

markm
02-05-15, 11:54
I'm seeing a lot of value in NOT hating to go to work every day. ;)

cinco
02-05-15, 11:59
Yep, did exactly this years and years ago. Never been happier. A job with purpose and a drastically increased quality of life to boot. I'd trade money for happiness any day. Good luck with your decision.

nimdabew
02-05-15, 12:13
Yes but it was for a career move. I am much happier now.

Averageman
02-05-15, 12:28
I quit a job I hated to go to work at for something I believed in. 3 years later being much happier and more productive I was making much more money.
I now have 12 years at this job, I'm making great money and I go home at night with a feeling of accomplishment.

Abraham
02-05-15, 13:02
I turned in my 2 week notice at a soul sucking job that paid really well, but I was miserable.

My boss, who worked downtown while I worked out in the field, was a great guy.

When I told him of my decision he asked me to hang in there and he would find me something I'd like to do.

He did as promised and a month later I was working downtown with him at a job I not only liked, but absolutely loved.

Maybe, perhaps not likely, but maybe, something similar may possibly happen for you.

Good luck!

markm
02-05-15, 13:10
Dillon was actually hiring a customer service position not too long ago. Probably wouldn't pay much, but talking reloading for a living could be nice....

Unfortunately the commute is horrible from my house. Bad rush hour both ways.

chuckman
02-05-15, 13:10

Truth. The job I left, I hated. I was so depressed...gained weight, surly at home, did not eat well. I said "**** it." I can't say since I left I am ALWAYS happy, every day, but overall MUCH happier. And to give up the 24/7 trappings that management had to offer...blackberry, pager, etc., was so worth it. Now when my day is over it is OVER. I dropped back about $15,000 a year in income, but what I gained was so much better.

markm
02-05-15, 13:11
Truth. The job I left, I hated. I was so depressed...gained weight, surly at home, did not eat well. I said "**** it." I can't say since I left I am ALWAYS happy, every day, but overall MUCH happier. And to give up the 24/7 trappings that management had to offer...blackberry, pager, etc., was so worth it. Now when my day is over it is OVER. I dropped back about $15,000 a year in income, but what I gained was so much better.

I hear it.

Crow Hunter
02-05-15, 13:29
I did.

Left a job paying $10,000 more +bonuses per year, that had a pension, 9.75% 401k match, 13 holidays per year and 3 weeks vacation in a senior management career track with a worldwide corporation that, however, required 10-12 hr/day work days 6-7 days/week including holidays.

I took a job with a family owned company that had a lower salary, no pension, a 3% 401k match, 9 holidays/yr and only 2 weeks vacation but I come in at 7 and leave at 4 EVERY SINGLE DAY Mon-Fri. No calls at night, no weekends, no holidays and very little stress.

Best move I have ever made.

Surprisingly enough I made the decision to start looking after watching the stupid Adam Sandler movie "Click".

I don't really miss the money because I was so busy before, I never got to spend it.:moil:

C-grunt
02-05-15, 13:32
Are Dillon and Dillon Aero the same company? If so I want to play with the minigun!

Good luck with your decision man. I have not had to make that decision but as long as my bills were paid I would choose happiness over money.

markm
02-05-15, 13:34
Surprisingly enough I made the decision to start looking after watching the stupid Adam Sandler movie "Click".

That movie was thought provoking.

There's a lot of people at my current company who make their job what defines them. I don't get it.... the company doesn't give a crap about them.

Don Robison
02-05-15, 13:35
Between the wife and I we have decreased our combined income $120k a year over the last 3 years. We are happier, healthier, and other than not having as much toy money, haven't missed most of it, especially the stress levels.

Sent from my etch & sketch via Tapatalk

sadmin
02-05-15, 13:37
Yup- I was in the Houston area making around 20k more than I am now but chose to lose it so my daughters were in a better area. Ironically the cost of living in Tyler is almost higher than where I was but the value is in a much more lax schedule and being home everyday by 445 and off every weekend. I was offered a spot at GE leading a SASS team and could have made bank, but time is much more important than money these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

signal4l
02-05-15, 13:46
I took a 20% pay cut 15 years ago to leave my job at an insurance company. Best move I ever made.

I like what I do for a living now. If you can make ends meet with the job at Dillon I say do it. Life is too short.

WickedWillis
02-05-15, 13:52
You cannot put a price on being happy at all. If that means I can be stress-free and make a few dollars less I would jump all over it. I am fortunate though that my current job is not overly stressful.

ryantx23
02-05-15, 13:54
Mark,

I am about to pull the trigger and do the same thing myself. I am about 3 weeks out. I will be taking a $12k hit in pay, but I know that I will enjoy my new job and life much more than I do now. Money isn't everything. People here tell me I am crazy and won't do it because nobody can afford to lose $1000 per month in income. What they fail to realize is that some people are debt free and that gives you a TON of freedom to make decisions that impact your life and happiness. Don't look back, I won't.

markm
02-05-15, 13:57
If you can make ends meet with the job at Dillon I say do it. Life is too short.

The Dillon job is already gone... this was a few months back. But the commute is a deal breaker anyway since they're regular business hours.

sadmin
02-05-15, 13:58
Not to divert Mark but you will be surprised at what you still retain also. I cut cable and only use a Roku which saved me about 50/mo. Went to different energy provider saving about 75/mo. Stopped eating expensive lunches at work and bring my lunch which saves and gives me my lunch break for the gym. I found with more money I spent more money. There were areas where I was hemorrhaging money and there were no satisfiers there, just expenditures born out of convenience.

Seagunner
02-05-15, 14:00
We spend so much of our lives at work, it just doesn't make since to stay with something you aren't happy with. Nothing worse than counting down your hours of time off knowing you have to go back to work. It use to ruin my Sunday dreading the Monday that was coming.

AKDoug
02-05-15, 14:08
I left a career where I was grossing nearly $10K a month in the early 90's. The catch was that I was working in remote Alaska for 180 days at a shot with no days off. With the same company I would make between 2-3K a month while in town. Not bad wages for a kid in his 20's. I dropped it all when I got married because I realized I loved my wife and being gone 180 days every single year was no way to stay married or raise kids. I took a 50% pay cut, bought the family business, and enjoyed life. It took me over 12 years to get back to the money I was making before. I don't regret it one single bit.

murphman
02-05-15, 14:13
I have been contemplating this very thing recently. I have considered getting out of my current profession and industry and moving into firearms. Of course I would start out as a builder for the company and I know I would take a significant hit but considering the size and my work ethics I have I know I could turn it into something with the passion I have for firearms. I know I would be extremely happy even if all I was doing was building rifles and was able to make a living off of it. At the same time taking the financial hit I would have to take to get my foot in the door is honestly frightening.

markm
02-05-15, 14:16
It use to ruin my Sunday dreading the Monday that was coming.

Shit... Last Saturday morning I was already crapped out about going in Monday.

signal4l
02-05-15, 14:21
Shit... Last Saturday morning I was already crapped out about going in Monday.

I used to feel the same way.

I think your decision is already made.

MBtech
02-05-15, 14:24

Inkslinger
02-05-15, 14:26
I'm all for being happy in life, but I've been burned too many times by "the grass is greener " mindset. Any unhappiness I've had in the workplace usually came from other employees. Unfortunately I've never been successful at escaping lazy, inept, half ass hacks incapable of performing there job anywhere near an acceptable level. It all depends on how invested your are in your job. Good luck!

Honu
02-05-15, 14:50
I had a business that was doing insanely well when I was in my 20s
basically one of the largest skateboard snowboard shops on the west coast

left it to go do my passion with underwater photography and teach diving and ended up doing that for 15 years till I met my wife so went from about 27-43 doing what I loved and am so glad I did

best thing I did was work a hospice care place when I was young and talked and really listened to many folks on there death bed and not one of them wishes they made more money or worked harder
all of them wished they worked less enjoyed life more those that followed there passions were glad they did what they did kinda thing
the only bitter folks in there were the ones that worked so hard had so few friends and family that did not visit most likely cause that was what drove them money and work

Abraham
02-05-15, 15:04
Honu,

You speak words of wisdom.

Campbell
02-05-15, 15:14
So your giving up the rep job with LWRC ?:)

Seriously, good luck....finding balance is not easy...I know I'm still trying.

wildcard600
02-05-15, 15:49
i am working towards the same goal, unfortunately i made some really stupid decisions for too many years and am stuck in my current job for the time being but the light is at the end of the tunnel.

life is far too short to spend it all lining some other asshole's pocket who dosent even give a shit about you.

Good luck with your next venture.

Kain
02-05-15, 16:16
When you get to the point of dreading going into work it is time to go looking for a new job. Just saying.

Outlander Systems
02-05-15, 18:05
Yup. 2013. Took a 30% pay cut. Couldn't get out of that circus fast enough.

A couple months shy of 2 years later, and I'm making significantly more than my previous job, and love where I work, and the folks I work with.

williejc
02-05-15, 18:25
Some companies wear out and then discard employees. Leaving such an employer makes sense. But, I do give this caution. Don't jump from the fire into the frying pan. You might read up on burnout and its causes and how to cope with it. After I retired from teaching, I was shell shocked for about a year.

.46caliber
02-05-15, 18:28
Dillon was actually hiring a customer service position not too long ago. Probably wouldn't pay much, but talking reloading for a living could be nice....

Unfortunately the commute is horrible from my house. Bad rush hour both ways.

Sometimes customer service positions hold layer hours for customers to call once they get home. Not necessarily always 9-5 so you might be able to avoid rush hour.

Plus you can give us your direct dial. :)

Edit, should have read whole thread first.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Kain
02-05-15, 18:34
Sometimes customer service positions hold layer hours for customers to call once they get home. Not necessarily always 9-5 so you might be able to avoid rush hour.

Plus you can give us your direct dial. :)

This is true. And with a national covered company on the west coast you would be looking at possibly hours to cover eastern time zones or even the facts that the company's lines are open for more than just 8 hours. However, sometimes the earlier shifts where you are getting home before the rush are a premium and go to those with seniority.

And I will admit to having thought of the fact that several of us would be calling in for Mark's advice on reloading. I mean, what the hell man why don't you have your own reloading blog or some shit. Seriously. Why not?

.46caliber
02-05-15, 18:38
And I will admit to having thought of the fact that several of us would be calling in for Mark's advice on reloading. I mean, what the hell man why don't you have your own reloading blog or some shit. Seriously. Why not?

I dunno. Do you think the internet is ready for markm to have a platform where he can share any and everything unsupervised? :p

Surf
02-05-15, 20:59
Got out of college and landed a hell of a Fed job. I was young and no family to worry about. Wanted more excitement so I ran off and joined the circus which cost me a 50% pay cut. 25 years later I am close to retirement with zero regrets.

Kain
02-05-15, 21:15
I dunno. Do you think the internet is ready for markm to have a platform where he can share any and everything unsupervised? :p

Honestly, no. But I would rather have him running around unsupervised than some of these dickheads out there on youtube. I trust Markm a hell of a lot more than most politicians and reported, not that is saying a whole hell of a lot, but still. And besides he can't be as bad as the jackass who's ad I just saw pop up local advocating converting rifles to FA.

Alex V
02-06-15, 07:49
Not lower pay, but I took a creative/prestige reduction in order to be happy.

I worked for one of the most prestigious high end retail architecture companies in the world. Their office was in Manhattan and I worked on high end retail projects in really cool locations. I designed the Dior store in the Bellagio and a couple more in other placed. I was working on a huge outlet mall in Busan SK. I had a large personal office with windows overlooking Lexington Ave. Unfortunately, the hours were 9-6 which caused my bus to always be in traffic going through the tunnels. I would leave the house at 7am and would consider myself lucky if I got home at 8. Sitting on the bus for 4 hours a day was terrible. I was always moody, my wife said I was a bear to deal with. One day, my wife called me crying and terrified, she was involved in an MVA on the highway on the way home. She was hurt, scared and in the middle of being transported to the hospital. I ran out of the office but had to wait 45 min for the next bus. I did not get to her for almost 2.5 hours. That was the last straw.

Now, I work less than a mile from home. Sure my office window looks over a parking lot and the projects I work on are not as glamorous but I am immeasurably happier. Its a small family firm and I am second in command. The owner is an awesome dude, I got him into firearms and every once in a while we cut out a few hours early and go to the range. The Jr Architects that work here are smart and agar to work, no egos like you find in NYC.

I did not take a cut in pay, but it did go backwards creatively. That's okay by me however, I am a lot happier now.

M&P15T
02-06-15, 07:54
Absolutely.

I'm doing it right now. But I'm building my part of the business up, while still keeping to no more that 42-43 hours a week, and enjoying life outside of work. Gone are my days of 50-60 hour work weeks. That shit is for weirdos who live for their jobs.

markm
02-06-15, 08:38
Wow. Just checking back in here.... Lots of good replies. Especially Honu's. Thanks!

Turnkey11
02-06-15, 09:00
I took a pay cut in locality pay to get closer to family, bout it. I'm past the point now of stepping backwards, only moves I have left are moving up in the food chain. 197 more months til retirement, I can almost smell it..

rocsteady
02-06-15, 09:39

This^^!!! I used to start feeling like I was physically ill on Sunday evenings and just loathed getting out of bed each morning. Now I am still not thrilled with the alarm clock but once I'm vertical, I enjoy each and every day, even thought I'm still not back to the salary I was making in 2006.

I am convinced that life is 100% better if you enjoy your job, even if it means making less cash.

ralph
02-06-15, 10:29
Absolutely.

I'm doing it right now. But I'm building my part of the business up, while still keeping to no more that 42-43 hours a week, and enjoying life outside of work. Gone are my days of 50-60 hour work weeks. That shit is for weirdos who live for their jobs.

There's a lot of truth in that.. I'm retired, I retired in july'14 I worked 33yrs as a pipefitter.. I traveled a lot, working in 10 states before I hung it up. Within the last 15yrs or so I notice a disturbing trend.. That of working more and more hours and more days per week. When I left, the "normal" workday had morphed into a 10hour day,from 8 (and usually the foreman would come around about 3:00 or so, and ask you if you wanted to work more hours, in the summer, this could be as late as 9-10 Oclock at night.) and the "normal" workweek was now 6-7 days, and you were expected to do this for months at a time.. As soon as I figured outI could retire at 60, I walked away from it. My advice to anyone is to find something you love to do, and if it's possible to make a living doing it then by all means do it. If you're working a job that's driving you batshit crazy, leave ASAP. It's simply not worth it. Your mental health is far more important than any pile of fiat paper money ever will be, and as was pointed out, you're not going to find anyone on their deathbed, who wished that they had worked harder, or worked more hours.. I've seen too many guys in the past who, while chasing the almighty dollar, would miss their kids birthdays, school functions, wedding anniversary's work holidays like thanksgiving, Christmas, and then wonder why they end up getting divorced....

usmcvet
02-06-15, 12:39
Not to divert Mark but you will be surprised at what you still retain also. I cut cable and only use a Roku which saved me about 50/mo. Went to different energy provider saving about 75/mo. Stopped eating expensive lunches at work and bring my lunch which saves and gives me my lunch break for the gym. I found with more money I spent more money. There were areas where I was hemorrhaging money and there were no satisfiers there, just expenditures born out of convenience.

We cut the cord last spring. We already had a Roku, Netflix & Prime. I added this antenna http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ultra-Thin-Amplified-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B00DIFIP06/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423247789&sr=8-2&keywords=amazon+antenna we have plenty of options. A Chrome Cast keeps the kids occupied too. TV is a huge time waster anyway.

I had a business that was doing insanely well when I was in my 20s
basically one of the largest skateboard snowboard shops on the west coast

left it to go do my passion with underwater photography and teach diving and ended up doing that for 15 years till I met my wife so went from about 27-43 doing what I loved and am so glad I did

best thing I did was work a hospice care place when I was young and talked and really listened to many folks on there death bed and not one of them wishes they made more money or worked harder
all of them wished they worked less enjoyed life more those that followed there passions were glad they did what they did kinda thing
the only bitter folks in there were the ones that worked so hard had so few friends and family that did not visit most likely cause that was what drove them money and work

Words of wisdom. Honestly I love my job and hate my job at the same time. I have a good deal of vacation, sick time and holidays off. This lets me spend time with my kids. They are my world. I've had leukemia twice and Honu hit it out of the park. I knew I needed to spend more time doing what was important to me. When you are dying or in my case think you are, you realize what truly matters. Work is waaaaay down on the list.

Honu
02-06-15, 14:17
on the dive thing

I used to joke I had a office with a view and you paid big bucks to come stay on island and then pay to come out on our boat :)
used to get folks who would say I wish I could do that but I cant :) used to say sure you can !!! you just have to take the leap and realize there will be some changes in life

as I say if someone is doing the job you want to do now it means it can be done :)

these were a while ago :) not current when I was in my 30s
my office 5-6 days a week being forced to sail and then dive hahahahaha:) I am the dude on the right

this is what I did

and saw some insane stuff I got to see

Frailer
02-06-15, 19:34
I have several friends who retired from the military around the same time I did; some took jobs that paid very well indeed. I decided to become a high school teacher.

I wouldn't trade places with them for *any* amount of money.

Moose-Knuckle
02-07-15, 05:26
A few thoughts on the matter . . .

I think EVERYONE at one point or another has a job they loathe. We abhor our jobs for one reason or another. I read a lot, a lot of career articles and the like and the norm these days is for people to change careers and or employers every two to five years. Most folks do not stay in the field they obtained an education and or training in. What these articles DO NOT tell you is that the vast majority of people change careers and or employers so often not because of the actual job per say, but it is the average threshold we as humans can tolerate the ****ing oxygen thieves we have the pleasure of either working for or with. There are those amongst us who are lucky and find a place where this does not happen but it is not norm. And if you pony up and become your own boss, i.e. small business owner this problem is only complied when you have to manage those people you’ve hired underneath you.

I never understood it, I mean for those of us who choose not to live on the streets or be a card carrying member of the FSA you would think that people would figure out that no one really wants to be a work and that we all have to put food on the table so we might as well work together, get along, and make things easier on everyone. But NO, the human psyche has to come into play and with that you get the idiots.

Next month my son will be born (our first) and let's just say that really puts things into perspective for me. I work weekends, nights, and holidays 40-72 hours per week and I'm on call 24/7. **** that noise! I will be changing jobs shorty after I come back from my FMLA protected time off. I have amassed a staggering sum of vacation/comp/holiday/sick time over the last decade here at my present job and will be looking to make a change after I'm back from taking time off for his birth and tie up some loose ends. Why did I stay at my current employer for over a decade you say? Easy, concerning “the grass is always greener on the other side” mentality I always felt that if I went to another job to get away from either a boss and or coworkers that I would simply be trading one group of a$$holes for another. I mean their names and faces would be different but as humans they would be the same narcissistic, back stabbing, brown nosing, clowns that I had just left.

Life is too short to spend it miserable. Find out what's important to you, for me that is time with my family.

Q: How do you spell love?

A: T-I-M-E.

jpmuscle
02-07-15, 05:41

I think EVERYONE at one point or another has a job they loathe. We abhor our jobs for one reason or another. I read a lot, a lot of career articles and the like and the norm these days is for people to change careers and or employers every two to five years. Most folks do not stay in the field they obtained an education and or training in. What these articles DO NOT tell you is that the vast majority of people change careers and or employers so often not because of the actual job per say, but it is the average threshold we has humans can tolerate the ****ing oxygen thieves we have the pleasure of either working for or with. There are those amongst us who are lucky and find a place where this does not happen but it is not norm. And if you pony up and become your own boss, i.e. small business owner this problem is only complied when you have to manage those people you’ve hired underneath you.

I never understood it, I mean for those of us who choose not to live on the streets or be a card carrying member of the FSA you would think that people would figure out that no one really wants to be a work and that we all have to put food on the table so we might as well work together, get along, and make things easier on everyone. But NO, the human psyche has to come into play and with that you get the idiots.

Next month my son will be born (our first) and let's just say that really puts things into perspective for me. I work weekends, nights, and holidays 40-72 hours per week and I'm on call 24/7. **** that noise! I will be changing jobs shorty after I come back from my FMLA protected time off. I have amassed a staggering sum of vacation/comp/holiday/sick time over the last decade here at my present job and will be looking to make a change after I'm back from taking time off for his birth and tie up some loose ends. Why did I stay at my current employer for over a decade you say? Easy, concerning “the grass is always greener on the other side” mentality I always felt that if I went to another job to get away from either a boss and or coworkers that I would simply be trading one group of a$$holes for another. I mean their names and faces would be different but as humans they would be the same narcissistic, back stabbing, brown nosing, clowns that I had just left.

Life is too short to spend it miserable. Find out what's important to you, for me that is time with my family.

Fwiw I prefer to describe my coworkers and subordinates as "peons" and make reference to them as such when their mouth breathing antics begin to pile up. Seems to help as it adds some levity. Works for me

chuckman
02-07-15, 06:34

I think EVERYONE at one point or another has a job they loathe. We abhor our jobs for one reason or another. I read a lot, a lot of career articles and the like and the norm these days is for people to change careers and or employers every two to five years. Most folks do not stay in the field they obtained an education and or training in. What these articles DO NOT tell you is that the vast majority of people change careers and or employers so often not because of the actual job per say, but it is the average threshold we has humans can tolerate the ****ing oxygen thieves we have the pleasure of either working for or with. There are those amongst us who are lucky and find a place where this does not happen but it is not norm. And if you pony up and become your own boss, i.e. small business owner this problem is only complied when you have to manage those people you’ve hired underneath you.

Excellent post. Most 'big' decisions I have made I have made because of my family, and my desire to a) have the most time with them, and b) put myself in a position to have the best job security so as to protect them. I don't always like my job or the people with whom I work, but I have been in far worse jobs and worked with far worse people. Generally speaking I am in a good place in life, and while I have made more money, I work in a field that is recession/economy-proof, I have paid off my mortgage, have excellent insurance, and I get pretty much the time I want off. Is it perfect? No, but then, nothing is.

Vandal
02-07-15, 08:29
I lost nearly 1/3 of my income moving from car sales to LE. I was making damn good money, starting to work my way up the ladder and was being groomed for management. I also routinely worked 6 day weeks, 10+ hours a day and had almost no social life. In my new career I have time off, overtime pay, better benefits and time to go out and enjoy life and take vacation without taking a pay hit that month. I'm happy at work, get to see my friends and when I leave work I leave my job at the office.

Moose-Knuckle
02-07-15, 09:18
Another trend that I find disturbing is the work to life ratio in this country. Use to be with a forty hour week one could carve out a decent living. Now days it seems the average work day for most folks is 10hours on top of trying to juggle family life and all that entails. This is one area where Europe gets it right. In the private sector there are more and more careers opening up that affords one the ability to work from home with the advent of modern technologies. My wife works a white collar job and is salary; I cannot remember the last time she worked an eight hour day. At least at my job I have to be paid for anything and everything over forty hours. Needless to say she is also looking for a new job after the baby arrives. Several companies that she has submitted her resume allow working from home with the occasional popping into the office for a meeting.

markm
02-07-15, 21:01
I lost nearly 1/3 of my income moving from car sales to LE.

Some of my greatest work memories came from working as a younger guy in the car biz as a lot attendant. I loved being around the lunatics that are Car salesmen. They did have the dog shit hours though... Most weekends from bell to bell.

Another trend that I find disturbing is the work to life ratio in this country. Use to be with a forty hour week one could carve out a decent living. Now days it seems the average work day for most folks is 10hours

That's just where my current soul suck is headed, and I'm not sticking around.... not just the hours... it's the ridiculous waste and inefficiency due to imbecile management. We're getting the same thing done with twice the pain and effort... and no more pay. I'm counting the days until I can say AMF (Adios Mother F*&ker!)

Abraxas
02-07-15, 21:08
I have and I don't regret it.

Frailer
02-07-15, 22:31
Another trend that I find disturbing is the work to life ratio in this country. Use to be with a forty hour week one could carve out a decent living...

A more disturbing trend to me is that in most families these days both parents are working.

When our first child was on the way (over 30 years ago) my wife and I decided that having one parent at home at home was more important than two incomes. We had some awfully lean years early on, but we made it work, and for us it was the right decision.

For the record, I'm not judging those who do things differently. I just think it's sad that so many families seem to need two incomes to make ends meet.

AKDoug
02-07-15, 22:35
A more disturbing trend to me is that in most families these days both parents are working.

When our first child was on the way (over 30 years ago) my wife and I decided that having one parent at home at home was more important than two incomes. We had some awfully lean years early on, but we made it work, and for us it was the right decision.

For the record, I'm not judging those who do things differently. I just think it's sad that so many families seem to need two incomes to make ends meet. That was one of the beautiful advantages of us having our own business. The kids never went to daycare and they also got to learn job skills way ahead of most children. I've always admired those families that figured out how to keep one of the parents at home.

MBtech
02-07-15, 22:44
My first was born in 2004, my second in 2006. My wife stayed at home with them until both were in school. Those first 5-6 years is when they need to "learn how to learn" Daycare doesn't provide that like a caring parent does. I didn't make big bucks by myself, still don't but we made it work and our kids have benefited greatly from it.

OH58D
02-07-15, 23:40
I was in the Army 22 years before I retired. During the last half of my service, I was offered several jobs in the private sector which were quite appealing money wise, but I enjoyed the work I was doing for Uncle Sam.

Moose-Knuckle
02-07-15, 23:50

For the record, I'm not judging those who do things differently. I just think it's sad that so many families seem to need two incomes to make ends meet.

And then there is this.

My wife makes more than me and has the potential to make a lot more in the near future. We have discussed it and in the event she makes that kind of money I will be a stay at home father. Probably get something part time in the evenings just cause. My parents did the same thing and though they had many lean years my sibling and I benefited from it greatly. Children should be reared by their mothers at an early age, not strangers at a pre-school/daycare. The cost of child care makes it to where it works out in the long run for one parent to stop working.

prdubi
02-08-15, 00:18
Yes.... I teach at a Catholic school. and it is stress free with no behavior issues.

sapper36
02-08-15, 13:12
I did as well. 30 days before I would have been selected to Master Gunns (E-9), I retired. Dragging my family all over the world and having them sit at home while I was out fighting just got to be where the juice wasn't the squeeze anymore. My wife and I left the D.C. Area, where she made more than I did, and now live on a "hobby farm" in the woods in the middle of nowhere west Michigan. You can't buy happiness and even though it's a leap of faith in many ways, a nice life is better than a rich life. Good Luck!