PDA

View Full Version : ACOG mount screw.

bb223
02-05-15, 17:24
Around Christmas I ordered a TA33R-H over the internet and ordered the Trijicon marked Bobro mount off of Amazon.

When they both arrived I mounted the TA33 to the new QD mount with Loctite and a torque wrench.

I let it sit overnight to allow the Loctite to set and in the morning when I was drawing the witness mark on the screw, I noticed the screw head had a rather large crack forming from the center of the Allen slot to the edge of the screw head.

I called Trijicon and they sent me the wrong screw, but to be fair they don't actually manufacture the QD mount I was using so they didn't have to send me anything.

I ordered some 10-32 x 3/4" machine screws from another website and got everything mounted up and zeroed just fine.

I have two questions though.

1. The screws I ordered are stainless steel, it was brought to my attention that stainless screws in stainless thread may have issues. Since the Helicoils are stainless and the screw is stainless, will I run into any issues with galling or corrosion or whatever? I mean the Trijicon screws in the TA60 mount are stainless too I believe (at least the replacement screw came with an order paper saying "10-32 x 3/8 SS"), but they are black oxide coated.

2. The head of the new screw I am using sticks up into the ACOG "peep hole" under the lens, it's only about half as tall as the hole so it's not hitting anything, but is it okay that it is like that?

Thanks.

Slippers
02-05-15, 20:57
It'll be fine. The stock TA60 mount has stainless screws, too. It's also fine that you can see some of the thread in the peep hole. The TA60 mount screws also protrude in there, just a little.

Generally you don't use any kind of thread locker with helicoils. Some people even recommend a little anti-seize or grease, which will keep the helicoil from backing out with the screw if you ever remove the mount.