PDA

View Full Version : groomsmen gift knife ideas

nimdabew
02-06-15, 02:26
Hello. Short story: I am getting married in a month and change. I haven't purchased the groomsmen gifts yet and I need to get moving on that if I am going to do it and possibly get them customized.

I was thinking if getting my groomsmen and best man folding knives. I don't want something super flashy, but not a POS either. They need to be cheap enough where I can afford 6 (if they get one, I get one too dammit), but not so cheap they they break.

I have had SOG knives in the past and their edge lasts all of two seconds, so none of that. I would like to keep it with a 400-500 budget with custom engraving (engraving is not necessary, I would rather spend an extra 50 tootal on the knives themselves than have some white laser engraved lettering).

I need help with this because I may know things about guns, I know little above knives.

I would like to keep a 2.5-3" folder, maybe replaceable scales, pocket clip that doesn't suck, and a silver blade, but black phosphate would be nice too. I hear the spyderco brand thrown around a lot, but they are an enigma to me ATM as far as what to get.

newyork
02-06-15, 04:20
Not a folder but, my buddy bought his groomsmen all Esee Izula in different colors.

Shao
02-06-15, 06:09
I'm guessing that you mean your total budget is $500-600 (not per knife).

Check these guys out:

http://www.dlttrading.com/engraved-knives

As far as which knife to pick - I would go for something US made or a Japanese or Taiwanese Spyderco. You'll get the most bang for your buck with a Kershaw. I'm not a big fan of Ken Onion's designs, but his pieces made by Kershaw are quality. You could order six engraved Leeks for $341.40 shipped.

If you want to go fancier, then try damascus:

http://www.knifeworks.com/kershawleekwithdamascusblade.aspx#.VNSuhPnF-Pw

Engraved, 6 knives would come out to $509.70 shipped.

Smash
02-06-15, 08:42
I get married at the end of this month. I am in the same boat, except I have a laser engraver here at work that can customize them.

I like the idea of some Esee fixed blades or something else where I can engrave into the micarta handle.

TheJawn
02-06-15, 09:54
Spyderco Delica or anything from Victorinox

themonk
02-06-15, 09:55
Benchmade makes excellent knives. They also have an awesome laser engraving service that is super fast. You can either buy them from Benchmade or pick them up cheaper on amazon and then send them in. Google "$100 benchmade" and the first links will be for amazon. See if there is a knife you like at the price point you were thinking. The Griptilian and the 530 Pardue would be great gifts. Then go to Benchmade's website and under services tab you see custom laser marking. If you have any questions don't hesitate to call as their CS is some of the best in the business.

I can vouch for their laser engraving quality. I sent all my clients 940s with our logo laser marked on the back of the knife for xmass and they turned out awesome!

KingsideRook
02-06-15, 10:23
I love Spyderco knives because they're nearly all slim enough to keep in a back pocket without discomfort, which I could not say of my otherwise excellent Benchmade Barrage. If you want them to carry these blades, it's at least a consideration that it shouldn't be a chore to pack it in khakis.

Pick out a Delica variant or a Sage, really any 2.9-3.9" Spyderco. There's a wealth of sizes, blade types and edges, and you can spend from $60 up to $200 per knife, and still know it's a quality blade. There's nearly always a trophy shop in town that can engrave the blade for a few bucks per.

steyrman13
02-06-15, 10:56
I would second the ESSE or Benchmade suggestions.

Mr. Clean
02-06-15, 11:03
First off. Congratulations.

I would second the vote for a Benchmade Griptilian. My EDC is a Doug Ritter Mini MK1 (modeled after the Griptilian and made by Benchmade). Link HERE (http://www.knifeworks.com/dougritterminirskmk1stonewashedm390bladeknifeworksexclusive.aspx#.VNTva_0tHcs). It has a some changes in blade geometry and makeup but is very similar to the Griptilian HERE (http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-556-Plain-Finish-Handle/dp/B000NZQH4K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423240884&sr=8-2&keywords=benchmade+griptilian) which should be in your price range (pre-engraving) at $85 per +/- $5.

The plus you get with Benchmade is a "Life Sharp" service where for $5 you send the knife in and they sharpen it up for you for the life of the knife.

I just recently sent a Mini Ritter back because the clip got caught on something and got all buggered up. This EDC has been beaten and used, not babied and has held up extremely well. I noticed that after the hook of the clip and drop down a flight of cement stairs , I lost one side of the tork nut that serves as the axle of the folder (still working condition though). I sent it back told them to sharpen it up and to please fix the clip and other issues. I was sure that the clip would not be covered under the warranty and told them to charge me whatever they needed to get the thing back to as close to new as possible. Imagine my surprise when a week later the Ritter returned, razor sharp, and all issues fixed. Not only did they replace the clip, they bent back the original to its proper shape and included it as a back up. Oh yeah, no charge for any of the service as well. I guess having been a loyal customer helps sometimes.

Good luck in the search and enjoy the big day.

Packeagle
02-06-15, 11:13
I bought my groomsmen Benchmade D2 mini grips from Cabelas or available in the custom Griptilian directly from BM. The axis lock is my favorite locking mechanism. Easy one hand open and close. They nocked it out of the park on the laser marking. I'd go with them if you can.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

nimdabew
02-06-15, 11:23
You guys are awesome. I was worried this would get passed over and I would be in the same boat I was in last night. Thank you.

sevenhelmet
02-06-15, 11:29
Another vote for the Benchmade Griptilian here. You could even have a local business do the laser engraving to save time.

ra2bach
02-06-15, 12:28
not tactical but Victorinox makes very nice Swiss Army Knives, some can be engraved, and most can be had for under $100...

HCrum87hc
02-06-15, 12:33
My vote is also for the Spyderco Delicas. They're great knives and reasonably priced.

themonk
02-06-15, 12:42
The one thing I would add to my previous post is make sure you get one for yourself. I got all my groomsmen a dress watch and had their initials engraved on the back. At the time I didn't want to spend the extra cash to get myself one. I regret that decision a lot. Whenever I am at an event that is formal or semi-formal with one of my groomsmen they generally wear that watch and I wish I had one. I keep telling myself I need to pick one up but its pretty low on the list. Spend the hundred bucks or so now on yourself, you will have it forever and it will be a great memory.

nimdabew
02-06-15, 16:25
I bought my groomsmen Benchmade D2 mini grips from Cabelas or available in the custom Griptilian directly from BM. The axis lock is my favorite locking mechanism. Easy one hand open and close. They nocked it out of the park on the laser marking. I'd go with them if you can.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Can you lost a pic of the engraving?

Packeagle
02-06-15, 16:39
http://i62.tinypic.com/24n2ssy.png
Here is the picture generated by the BM site. I didn't take a photo of the knife. Stupid me, but too much other stuff going on. I'll say that I didn't want it to be too much on the wedding track so he'd use it. I went with the eagle because we are both Eagle Scouts. You could do whatever you think would be meaningful.

Here is an example from the web of their work:

nimdabew
02-06-15, 20:51
I think I am going to buy a half dozen Kershaw Leeks, though I am worried about the knife tip longevity. There is so little steel there, and it being unsupported, lends me to think the tip will break after light to moderate use, unlike a tanto tip.

SeriousStudent
02-06-15, 22:46
I think I am going to buy a half dozen Kershaw Leeks, though I am worried about the knife tip longevity. There is so little steel there, and it being unsupported, lends me to think the tip will break after light to moderate use, unlike a tanto tip.

You concern is well-placed. I've broken a pair of Leeks at the tip, and I was not doing anything abusive.

A Spyderco Clipitool with scissors is quite a handy little knife, I think.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=855

If you are looking for black, a Tenacious is also a nice choice.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=718

The last time a buddy got married, I volunteered to take care of the groomsman gifts. I got each fellow a engraved Swiss Army Knife with their initials and the date, a really nice cigar, and an engraved flask with Macallan 15-year-old Single Malt Scotch in it. A lady at a Hallmark card store helped me with some nice boxes for each set. After the rehearsal dinner, we all cut the tip off the cigar with the knife, then had a smoke and a drink from our flasks.

There were no complaints.

My very best wishes on your upcoming marriage. May you and your lovely spouse to be have many, many happy years together.

SeriousStudent
02-06-15, 22:47
And that Benchmade D2 Mini-Griptilian is a great knife. I love mine.

nimdabew
02-07-15, 01:13
And that Benchmade D2 Mini-Griptilian is a great knife. I love mine.

The thing about the Leeks that I like is the price. Unfortunately, I can't afford $550 of knife, but I can stomach $370 a lot easier. I may dip into my own pay check to help pay for the stuff instead of taking it all out of the wedding fund. I want to give mini griptilians, but budget is more geared towards the Leeks. I think I can shift digits around to make it ok though. I might just fly a bit more in February to help pay for the knives for my groomsmen... And my griptilian.

.46caliber
02-07-15, 01:30
Sample of one, I've been well pleased with my Leek.

I've carried it every day for over a year. Opened boxes, cleaned ducks and started orange peels with it.

Tip is still fine. Blade holds an edge well.

The free sharpening for life was an unexpected bonus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Savior 6
02-07-15, 01:48
... They need to be cheap enough where I can afford 6 (if they get one, I get one too dammit), but not so cheap they they break...

Try CRKT P.E.C.K. Knives. Not much room to customize but SUPER handy to have around in a size that would be used instead of shelved.

Super affordable too.

Savior 6
02-07-15, 02:24
A buddy also gave me one of those keychain Swiss Knives which was very useful and would occasionally remind me off the laughs we shared.

BradCMSP
02-07-15, 08:02
I had the same idea, and ended up with these - http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/leek

Not high-speed by M4C.net standards, but my guys loved them. I wanted something more "pocket knife" than utility knife, if that makes sense. My guys aren't all gun guys. They, and the father's loved them. I can lookup where I bought them if you like, they did great engraving (laser) and were great to deal with.

US made too

BuzzinSATX
02-07-15, 09:05
9 months ago, Buck had a 50th Anniversary edition 110 folder available almost everywhere for $30-40. That would have been a great gift. I bought 10 and put in the safe for future grandkids. May find them at Walmart...

3 AE
02-07-15, 13:42
A Mini-Griptilian would be a great gift all on it's own without laser engraving. Just reduce the number by one, you can get yours later and/or you might decide to get a different one for yourself. You'll be well within your budget and your groomsmen will have high quality knives. If they want to customize them to their individual tastes they can decide for themselves on their own dime.

ETA, Besides "nimdabew", you won't need a stinking knife. You'll be getting the greatest gift ever when your bride to be walks down the aisle to join you in holy matrimony. :cray: Will someone pass me the tissues!

steyrman13
02-07-15, 13:50
A Mini-Griptilian would be a great gift all on it's own without laser engraving. Just reduce the number by one, you can get yours later and/or you might decide to get a different one for yourself. You'll be well within your budget and your groomsmen will have high quality knives. If they want to customize them to their individual tastes they can decide for themselves on their own dime.

I would agree. I would rather receive the nicer quality knife than a lesser one with laser engraving on it

You concern is well-placed. I've broken a pair of Leeks at the tip, and I was not doing anything abusive.

The last time a buddy got married, I volunteered to take care of the groomsman gifts. I got each fellow a engraved Swiss Army Knife with their initials and the date, a really nice cigar, and an engraved flask with Macallan 15-year-old Single Malt Scotch in it. A lady at a Hallmark card store helped me with some nice boxes for each set. After the rehearsal dinner, we all cut the tip off the cigar with the knife, then had a smoke and a drink from our flasks.

There were no complaints.

My very best wishes on your upcoming marriage. May you and your lovely spouse to be have many, many happy years together.

If I am in a wedding again. I'll make sure the groom adds you as a Groomsman! ;)

nimdabew
02-07-15, 14:42
I ended up getting 5 Leeks and 2 griptilians (one for me, one for the best man). I will include a card sized care sheet with the Leeks including the Kershaw $10 board thing in case they do break the tips. I will pick up some sort of boxes for the knives too. I am all about dual purpose, so many a half dozen Pelican 1010's or 1020's.

BigLarge
02-09-15, 00:26
I got my groomsmen the Gerber Mini Applegate

http://www.rockynational.com/product/Gerber/Knives/22-01967/Applegate-Fairbairn-Mini-Covert-FAST

This company also engraved names for me too

HCrum87hc
02-09-15, 14:12
I ended up getting 5 Leeks and 2 griptilians (one for me, one for the best man). I will include a card sized care sheet with the Leeks including the Kershaw $10 board thing in case they do break the tips. I will pick up some sort of boxes for the knives too. I am all about dual purpose, so many a half dozen Pelican 1010's or 1020's.

Your fiancé doesn't happen to have one more person on her side of the bridal party than you do does she? I'd gladly stand in for you. When I got married, I bought myself and my groomsmen these Saddleback flat wallets (http://www.saddlebackleather.com/frontpocketidwallet).

sevenhelmet
02-09-15, 19:29
Good choice!

trinydex
02-18-15, 10:45
recently saw someone do engraved benchmade mini griptilians with colored grip panels. phenomenal idea.