PDA

View Full Version : Turkish TP9/TP9SA

Slater
02-06-15, 11:03
Seems nowadays that not a month goes by when I don't hear of some new polymer pistol coming on the market. This time it's the TP9SA, which appears to be getting generally positive reviews (although some dislike the single action/decocker setup).

Turkey usually doesn't come to mind when I think of polymer handguns, but maybe modern CNC machining is making it possible for more countries to produce quality firearms, I dunno. Thoughts?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/jeremy-s/new-canik-tp9sa-pistol/

dwhitehorne
02-06-15, 15:06
I've had my TP9SA for about a month and have a little over 800 rounds through it. A mix of 147gr Ranger bonded, 124gr Golden Saber bonded some 124 gr +P FMJ Ranger and Federal frangible. The trigger is really quite surprising for a budget handgun. It is right there with the PPQ and doesn't have the crunch take up of the VP9. I posted in a thread on TOS about a scratch under the slide where the magazine rubs but mine hasn't gotten any worse. The sights and guide rod are metal if that matters to you. It is definitely very similar in feel to my P99 with a half inch longer barrel but it doesn't have the jumpy recoil that the Walther in known for. The $25 dollar mags are one of the main reasons I got it. I had a VP9 as a range toy and couldn't find mags for under $45 shipped. I flipped the VP and picked this up on an impulse and pocketed $200. For a range toy it works for me. I figure I'll shot it until it breaks and go from there. David

Slater
02-06-15, 16:13
Sounds decent. I think when most folks hear the term "budget handgun" they immediately think POS.

Omega Man
02-06-15, 16:58
For $350 out the door i am tempted to pick one up.

williejc
02-06-15, 18:09
My Canik CZ clone continues to give reliable service, and after a year plus shooting it, I consider it the equal of the CZ 75 of which I've owned several. It seems that demand has driven up the clone's price. I paid $300 for mine.

Savage018
02-06-15, 20:58
I have one that I picked up for $354 shipped and transferred and I have to say I am very impressed with it, especially for the price. The trigger is outstanding and the whole gun feels solid and well put together. The holster that comes with it is pretty decent quality as well. The decocker doesn't really bother me as it takes a bit of force to engage it. I don't see it inadvertently being actuated when using the gun. All in all, I'd say it would be a good gun at $500, and at around $350 most places, its a no-brainer for someone with a tight budget looking for a quality handgun.

Hank6046
02-06-15, 23:37
For $350 out the door i am tempted to pick one up.

Ditto

Gary1911A1
02-07-15, 12:32
It may very well be a good pistol, but for me I'd rather get the new HK knowing it has been extensively tested and will be a durable and accurate pistol even if it is twice the money.

Savage018
02-07-15, 15:15
It may very well be a good pistol, but for me I'd rather get the new HK knowing it has been extensively tested and will be a durable and accurate pistol even if it is twice the money.

Seems like I had read that the TP9sa had been tested by Canik for 50,000 rounds. As with any pistol that's new to the market only time will tell if it is reliable.

plouffedaddy
02-07-15, 16:37
I prefer that it didn't have the decocker but a lot of new shooters that are afraid to pull the trigger seem to like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wue40MlRgV8

Savage018
02-07-15, 17:05
I prefer that it didn't have the decocker but a lot of new shooters that are afraid to pull the trigger seem to like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wue40MlRgV8

I would prefer it not be there myself but it's not really a distraction. I just pretend it isn't there pretty much. I'm willing to bet they'll eventually introduce a model that doesn't have it. I'll buy it too.

teutonicpolymer
02-07-15, 20:29
External decocker + "Single action only" = no thanks

Hank6046
02-08-15, 09:12
I'd buy one if had the need for another fun 9mm. I guess if you train with it properly, it shouldn't be a problem. I have my Steyr M9 and my M&P which I have exactly the way I want them

ag08
02-08-15, 09:41
My SIL's boyfriend has one of these and I shot it yesterday. General observations:

1. Approx 700 rounds through it, he used Wolf as the first 400 to see if it would choke, we put ~200 brass cased through it yesterday and it hasn't malfunctioned yet
2. The recoil is interesting, very slow and methodical, I actually had enough of a fraction of a second to be distracted by how slow the slide moved in it's travel, doesn't affect function, just an interesting note.
3. The "SA" trigger has a long take up but a nice release. Reset was pretty short. The "DA" was very very very long. I am comparing that to my P30's LEM and P2000's DA/SA triggers which seem short in comparison. I guess the "DA" was included since there are no trigger or thumb safeties on the gun?
4. Grip angle is that American/1911 that we like but it still feels like a blocky Glock.
5. Very controllable while increasing the firing tempo.
6. This pistol is not a Saturday night special but I won't be recommending it to new gun owners based on it's newness to the market. There are too many well established handguns that can be had for similar prices either on sale or through the used market.

joedirt199
02-08-15, 10:09
Thought about getting one but couldn't find where mags were sold.

Savage018
02-08-15, 15:04
Thought about getting one but couldn't find where mags were sold.

AIM Surplus and Century sell magazines for them. Think they run around $22-25.

joedirt199
02-08-15, 15:18
Ok now I see them on aimsurplus. Don't know why I wasn't seeing them before. I like the cz p09 but the mags are so expensive. Would like to have a higher capacity 9mm that is cheap to keep up. Reviews on these seem positive so far.

Savage018
02-08-15, 15:21
Ok now I see them on aimsurplus. Don't know why I wasn't seeing them before. I like the cz p09 but the mags are so expensive. Would like to have a higher capacity 9mm that is cheap to keep up. Reviews on these seem positive so far.

Prepper Gun Shop was or still is selling the black TP9-SA for $339 shipped to your FFL. I think it's a lot of gun for that price.

rjacobs
02-09-15, 09:53
I messed with these at SHOT. The single action one was nice, but the one I am interested in is the DA/SA striker fired gun. I dont think to many double action striker fired guns are out there. While second strike capabilities are maybe over rated, I still thought it was cool and an interesting concept and something all the hammer gun guys like to tout that their guns are capable of doing where striker guns are not.

Ill definitely be picking one of these up to give a work out to and if nothing else, its another gun to let new shooters try to see if they want to get into the hobby in something that isnt 500+ dollars. I have a CZ P09 that is a GREAT gun(very under valued IMO) and when people shoot it and say "how much is this one" and I say 425-450 bucks it turns them on to the platform and thinking "hey, maybe I CAN afford to own a decent pistol". Even though most of us think "a Glock or M&P is only maybe another 75-100 bucks and MAY be a better overall pistol" for some reason people have a mental block at that $500 price point(at least in my experience). So something that is decent(not saying this gun will stand the test of time) at the $350-375 price point may entice more shooters into the sport.

Slater
02-09-15, 09:56
Walther is into this particular market segment with it's PPX.

Hank6046
02-09-15, 09:57
So something that is decent(not saying this gun will stand the test of time) at the $350-375 price point may entice more shooters into the sport.

This is true, not to mention if this finds a place in the market then maybe it will pressure the competition to create a better pistol at a better price

Hank6046
02-09-15, 09:58
Walther is into this particular market segment with it's PPX.

PPX is actually a nice shooting gun, still can't get over the High Point looks though...

Noodles
02-09-15, 10:05
Four pages talking about the details... It's a Walther P99 clone. Entirely ripped off with minor changes. The trigger should be good, and it should feel just like a P99. I doubt the barrel is hammer forged like the originals, and I'm not sure if the mags are mecgar... You could do worse for $350, but you at that price you could also get a real P99 used, or a Glock 19.

So I'm not really sure who this is for. But whatever.

teutonicpolymer
02-09-15, 12:28
PPX is actually a nice shooting gun, still can't get over the High Point looks though...

I accidentally checked out a PPX sometime last year and did not like it at all. Very blocky and the trigger pull was awful.

plouffedaddy
02-09-15, 13:23
I accidentally checked out a PPX sometime last year and did not like it at all. Very blocky and the trigger pull was awful.

Blocky for sure but I kind of like the trigger pull. It seemed really odd at first but I got the hang of it after a couple mags and got pretty good results after.

dwhitehorne
02-09-15, 16:08
Every ad I have read mentions a hammer forged barrel. I'm not sure how you tell that by looking at it though. The front of the magazines have the largest Mecgar billboard I have seen before "MECGAR MFG for Canik55 TP Series" all the way down the front of the magazine. I have a P99AS and a G19 also. I use to have a P99QA. I think the TP9SA trigger is nicer than the P99AS and I hated the QA trigger. It's a cheap range gun and it works for that. David

Four pages talking about the details... It's a Walther P99 clone. Entirely ripped off with minor changes. The trigger should be good, and it should feel just like a P99. I doubt the barrel is hammer forged like the originals, and I'm not sure if the mags are mecgar... You could do worse for $350, but you at that price you could also get a real P99 used, or a Glock 19.

So I'm not really sure who this is for. But whatever.

montrala
02-10-15, 04:01
I doubt the barrel is hammer forged like the originals.

Original P99 did not have hammer forged barrels. At some point (I think around 2006 or 2007) Walther started to use CHF barrels from FB Radom (they were originally making them and slides for Polish Police contract). Anyway not all P99s have CHF barrels.

Omega Man
02-10-15, 20:17
The barrels are hammer forged. Most of the Turkish made pistols are.