PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunting in West Texas

a1madrid
02-07-15, 15:20
I live in New Mexico and I want to go hunt some hogs when I get some free time in March. Do any of you guys know of any good places in West Texas to go hunt some hogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaldoOneFive
02-07-15, 15:33
Tag for info.

a1madrid
02-07-15, 15:48
What?

TomD
02-07-15, 16:27
I understand that there are a lot of hogs in the scrub oak forest near Crane but have no idea how to access it. Texas sux for hunting access. Also, I was recently on a job west of Orla and saw several road kill hogs on Hwy 285. Maybe you could Google for an outfitter in the area. Personally, I wouldn't pay to hunt feral hogs but that's just my opinion.

a1madrid
02-07-15, 16:42
I just looked up where Crane is at. That's not that far away I could make it there in a day from where I live. Where is this forest in relationship to Crane? North south east west?

TomD
02-08-15, 08:08
LOL, it's all around. According to the locals, it is the largest oak forest in the world but only about waist high!

a1madrid
02-08-15, 09:40
Can I just straight up walk in there and hunt?

MBtech
02-08-15, 11:19
You will be better off looking up outfitters/guide services to make a trip to unfamiliar territory and plan on being successful. Especially if time is limited. Just "straight up walking into a forest" will be just a game of luck if you are not familiar with the area and don't have time to do some scouting. Don't waste your time just going somewhere somebody says oh yea there are hogs there. Do your homework on hog population in the state. Google Texas Hog Hunting, the results are rediculous. Good luck and happy hunting.

J-Dub
02-08-15, 12:00
Do you bow hunt? I'm heading back home(texas) in march myself to do some hog hunting.

a1madrid
02-08-15, 12:04
No I'll be taking my new AR

anatolian B
02-08-15, 13:04
This-

Spring hog hunting via a hunting ranch/service is the way to go. You'll get a lot more shooting done in a weekend than wondering around looking for piggies. Make sure they have hog lights on their feeders, they help a lot. Sun goes down, corn hits the ground, piggies come in, and blast away. Most entertaining thing you can do with your pants on.

You will be better off looking up outfitters/guide services to make a trip to unfamiliar territory and plan on being successful. Especially if time is limited. Just "straight up walking into a forest" will be just a game of luck if you are not familiar with the area and don't have time to do some scouting. Don't waste your time just going somewhere somebody says oh yea there are hogs there. Do your homework on hog population in the state. Google Texas Hog Hunting, the results are rediculous. Good luck and happy hunting.

TomD
02-08-15, 17:11
Short answer is NO! Most land in TX is privately owned and we take a dim view of trespassing. Like myself and others have recommended, find a guide/outfitter and be ready to dig deep! (in your wallet that is)

constructor
04-30-15, 19:09
just posted this vid in another area but https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jfAWKfYsUUY

SilverBullet432
06-15-15, 23:27
VERY late to the party, but there are alot of porkers down in Imperial by Ft. stockton. As stated most land is private and or leased by an oil company.