PDA

View Full Version : New G17

The FNG
02-07-15, 21:53
Just bought a new (to me) Glock G17 from Cabelas. It seemed like a good deal, but since it was used I really had no idea. I joined the NRA today for NRA day at Cabelas and got a 10% discount plus a $25 gift card. So all said and done it was about $380 after tax with a 30round mag and a stock mag.

Overall, the gun looked well taken care of...but like I said its used. Cabelas offers a 10 day warranty on their used guns from the time you take it home. Is there anything in particular I should look for? As far as I can tell its a gen3 because it's not designated as gen4 but it has the rail below the barrel in front of the trigger guard.

I should also mention I didn't take it home today due to not having a CPL and had to go through the full background check.

I got this gun to get me on my way for 3gun comps... Any recommendations for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedRacer
02-07-15, 22:09
For that price I can almost guarantee it is a Gen 3, but if it was a Gen 4 it would say so on the slide.

99.9% chance it's G2G as is. Still, when I buy used Glocks I change the recoil, trigger and striker springs just to be safe. If it's going to be a game gun that's also a good excuse to go ahead and throw a lighter recoil spring (depending on the ammo you plan on shooting) and trigger kit in there while you're at it.

LoveAR
02-07-15, 22:11
Oh jeez... I hate that buyer's remorse feeling. $150 more and you get a new GEN4.

MadAngler1
02-07-15, 22:18
For a stock G17 gen 3, I would do the following:

1. Buy a Larry Vickers magazine release. It is very easy to install. http://www.redstatetactical.com

2. Install a pearce grip plug to ensure easy mag changes

3. Larry Vickers slide release

4. Trijicon HD night sights

5. Get the grip stippled

Don't mess with anything else. Buy ammo and take a class at Gunsite, Larry Vickers or similar.

The FNG
02-07-15, 22:27
Ya, I considered the gen 4, but it was hard enough to justify nearly $400 after what I spent on my Noveske AR last month.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll look into new springs and the tactical stuff MadAngler mentioned.

Psalms144.1
02-08-15, 02:42
Step 1 - buy new factory OEM magazines. GLOCK doesn't make a 30-round magazine - theirs is 33, but there are lots of "Asian Military" magazines for Glocks out there, so caveat emptor
Step 2 - buy ammunition
Step 3 - shoot

If there's a problem during step 3, THEN evaluate what, if anything to do to the pistol. Chances are your pistol will run 100% fine, and all the "upgrades" will just be money that could be better spent on ammunition and a good training course.

Depending on what sights are on the pistol, you're probably going to want different sights. But, for a primarily competition pistol, you're going to want to shop around. I'm thinking Dawson plain black adjustable rears and fiber optic front; 10-8 plain rears with their FO front; or maybe the new Vickers Battle sight with a FO front.

Vicker's Mag Release is nice, but, depending on your hand size, could be irrelevant. Same same with the slide release - unless you're going to be shooting in gloves, I've found extended slide releases of any flavor to GENERALLY be more of a problem maker than problem solver.

What else needs to be done to the pistol is going to come down to how it works FOR YOU, in YOUR hands. Generally, I take a flat file and sanding block to recontour the underside of the trigger guard to avoid Glock-knuckle. For me, the 3rd generation and earlier Glocks have a little too much "hump" in the backstrap, and really benefit from a competent grip guy flattening that out. I've never found any of my Glocks to need stippling, and I've run them worldwide in some pretty hot/humid conditions, with and without gloves.

If your pistol was made in the 2010-2012 timeframe, it might need some tweaking of internals to ensure good extraction/ejection, but you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

Congratulations on your new pistol!

c3006
02-08-15, 07:03
Geeez its a Glock there is little to no chance something could be wrong with it and your probably getting ready to find out it's the best handgun you have ever owned bone stock just like it is. After putting a couple hundred rounds through it if you still have the overwhelming urge to spend money on it for nothing then go ahead you probably can't hurt it much. Good luck and have fun.

maestromsv
02-08-15, 07:53
Congrats on the new man toy! Obtaining a few mags will be well worth it, (preferably filled with ammo). The 33 rd mag sticks out too far to EDC.

CatSnipah
02-08-15, 09:45
Lots of good recommendations for upgrades. But, I'd shoot it first. A lot. Don't change anything until you have done this. Especially If you don't have the budget to change everything at once.

Learn what you like or don't. Then, if you still want to make upgrades, prioritize and do them one at a time.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Devildawg2531
02-08-15, 10:43
I would replace the sights with either Trijicon HD or AmeriGlo Hackathorn's. Also would buy 8 - 10 Glock mags and start shooting. Wouldn't stipple the gun as I believe that changes your classification from SSP if you decide to compete in IDPA.

oldtexan
02-08-15, 11:53
Step 1 - buy new factory OEM magazines. GLOCK doesn't make a 30-round magazine - theirs is 33, but there are lots of "Asian Military" magazines for Glocks out there, so caveat emptor
Step 2 - buy ammunition
Step 3 - shoot

If there's a problem during step 3, THEN evaluate what, if anything to do to the pistol. Chances are your pistol will run 100% fine, and all the "upgrades" will just be money that could be better spent on ammunition and a good training course.

Depending on what sights are on the pistol, you're probably going to want different sights. But, for a primarily competition pistol, you're going to want to shop around. I'm thinking Dawson plain black adjustable rears and fiber optic front; 10-8 plain rears with their FO front; or maybe the new Vickers Battle sight with a FO front.

Vicker's Mag Release is nice, but, depending on your hand size, could be irrelevant. Same same with the slide release - unless you're going to be shooting in gloves, I've found extended slide releases of any flavor to GENERALLY be more of a problem maker than problem solver.

What else needs to be done to the pistol is going to come down to how it works FOR YOU, in YOUR hands. Generally, I take a flat file and sanding block to recontour the underside of the trigger guard to avoid Glock-knuckle. For me, the 3rd generation and earlier Glocks have a little too much "hump" in the backstrap, and really benefit from a competent grip guy flattening that out. I've never found any of my Glocks to need stippling, and I've run them worldwide in some pretty hot/humid conditions, with and without gloves.

If your pistol was made in the 2010-2012 timeframe, it might need some tweaking of internals to ensure good extraction/ejection, but you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

Very good advice.

Chameleox
02-08-15, 12:18
Psalms144.1 nailed it on the 1st page.

Everything else is noise until you decide what's missing. Fact is, if we're talking about factory Glock sights, it's almost a given that you'll replace them, but at $100-$150 a set, try before you buy.

RHINOWSO
02-08-15, 12:33
I suggest shooting any new firearm before changing anything - only exception being rifles without iron sights. This will take the guesswork out of possible issues when you've changed this, buffed that, tweeked this thingamabob then get failures at the range.

Then if you don't already know the platform, add slowly.

Singlestack Wonder
02-08-15, 13:02
For sights, get a set of Heinie Straight 8 Slant Pro's. The warrens and others are just knock-offs of the Heinies.

The FNG
02-08-15, 13:56
Thanks guys! I will keep this all in mind. It may already have aftermarket sights, but I don't know yet. It does have some sort of rubber grip wrap thing on it though. I'll probably shoot it as is for a while until i decide I need something more. I really was curious about any issues that commonly arise on these guns- for my own awareness. However it sounds like they're pretty solid!

Spurholder
02-08-15, 14:05
FNG, just curious - what's the letter group on your serial number? Ex: my G17 begins with HYF and my G19 begins with LRW.

Here's an old link that'll approximate the manufacturing date of your G17:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287557

Horsehide
02-08-15, 17:20
Detail-strip it (check for worn parts and remove all contaminants from the firing pin channel),clean it, lube it, replace the recoil spring, get decent OEM mags, then shoot the snot out of it.

Kain
02-08-15, 17:30
Step 2 - buy ammunition
Step 3 - shoot

Yep, pretty much this. Shoot it and fix the issues, if there are any issues when they arise.

As far as mags, I would avoid asian mags, KCI for example, and go with factory mags for the time. Once magpul mags hit the market I would see how they hold up, or perhaps grab a few for testing. Standard glock factory mags can be had for about $20 if you shop around, and 33rd mags for around the $30 mark.

railpig314
02-08-15, 17:45
Hey,
If you want you can send the weapon into Glock. They will go through the whole thing and replace anything that needs to be replaced. For an additional $65.00 they will install night sights for you. I bought my old duty gun and sent it in. They refinished the slide and installed all new internals. The slide was a little extra, but the weapon looks brand new. Just an idea. Good luck!

The FNG
02-08-15, 17:58
Hey,
If you want you can send the weapon into Glock. They will go through the whole thing and replace anything that needs to be replaced. For an additional $65.00 they will install night sights for you. I bought my old duty gun and sent it in. They refinished the slide and installed all new internals. The slide was a little extra, but the weapon looks brand new. Just an idea. Good luck!

That's not a bad idea at all. I'll have to give them a call once I get it home.

CatSnipah
02-08-15, 20:14
Hey,

That's good to know for future reference.

LoveAR
02-08-15, 20:23
Cost of shipping...vickers parts, etc.

The FNG
02-09-15, 16:28
First 3 letters are WGK

Psalms144.1
02-09-15, 17:04
FNG - based on that, your pistol should be in the 2013 time frame, and probably past the worst of the problem period. I'd shoot it, see how the extraction/ejection works, and go from there.

Regards,

Kevin

The FNG
02-09-15, 18:09
Well, I shot one mag full on the way home and it seems to work fine. The gun overall seems like it is almost brand new with almost no wear anywhere.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/09/c24ccb178c26bcb158ded719e8511f9f.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/09/db72bd7355788af533499eca20ceeaf7.jpg

Psalms144.1
02-09-15, 18:30
Yep, looks good! The long stick is OEM, so that's a good thing. Get more mags, ammo, and shoot the snot out of it.

Those are also OEM polymer dovetail protectors (sights), so the only thing I'd spend money on now is sights. Good score!

Bruce in WV
02-09-15, 18:34
There's a video from the glock store that strongly recommends replacing the plastic recoil spring guide rod with a steel guide rod. I haven't seen it recommended here - good idea or not?

Psalms144.1
02-09-15, 18:36
I've been shooting and carrying Glocks on and off duty around the world since the late 80s. I've NEVER had a stock RSA fail on me, so, in my book, the stainless guide rods are snake oil. Others may disagree...

railpig314
02-09-15, 19:14
Hey,
Just leave everything stock. Glock wants it that way! I've been a Glock Armorer for 6 years now. They have a lifetime warranty on them if you leave them alone.
Just to let you know, that gun looks brand new..... Have fun with it!

The FNG
02-09-15, 20:21
I think I did pretty well! I never would have expected to find a deal like that at a store, especially Cabelas.

teutonicpolymer
02-09-15, 23:19
I would change the sights, mag release (the Glock extended one), and put a grip plug in

That would still let you shoot USPSA production

Fordtough25
02-10-15, 05:36
Congrats on the find! My general rule for a new Glock is to stock up on mags, ammo, some steel sights, and shoot the snot out of it!

TF82
02-10-15, 09:22
Hey,
Is that $65 just for the labor, or for the sights too? If that includes their sights that's a great deal. The only thing I've found is that the Glock OEM night sights' finish has worn a lot quicker on my Gen 4 G22 than it ever did on the Trijicons that were on the Gen 3 or the Meprolights on my Gen 3 G27.

railpig314
02-10-15, 10:41
The last I checked, that was for the sights and installation. It's a great deal!

railpig314
02-10-15, 10:43
Just call Glock and tell them your sending it down. I had really good luck with Glock cs.....

The FNG
02-10-15, 11:39
I just called Glock. I pay shipping there, they go through and service the gun for free. If I want Glock night sights it will cost $57 and they cover shipping back. Sounds like an amazing deal.

Psalms144.1
02-10-15, 15:05
So, for shipping costs +$57, you get a rebuild and NS. Sounds like a good deal. HOWEVER, given that shipping will likely cost you $50 or more, depending on your location, you might be spending a lot for not a major improvement.

I'd suggest, humbly, that you take that $100+, shoot the gun a bunch, and see what it needs. Frankly, on a pistol that's only a year or two old in the condition your photos show, I doubt you NEED anything replaced. IF you develop issues, a full set of rebuild springs for a Glock costs about $20, and will take less than an hour to do yourself if you have ANY ability with basic tools, like a punch, and nothing else.

I just think the Glock NS are going to be suboptimal for 3-gun use, where you'll need some precision on long range targets, and some speed on close stuff.

But, this is a fairly low cost insurance policy, and, at least you'd get metal sights on the gun...

Regards,

Kevin