PDA

View Full Version : A few build questions!

berserk
07-04-08, 07:45
I am starting a new build and was needing some info. First off I now most here have colt, lmt ect. but its not what I can afford. So like my other rifle I will build a Frakenstine.
I know DPMS is low on the tier but a lower is a lower right?I bought one locally and it looks better than my sabre defence, so if its all in spec I should be good there. But how are there lower parts kits, the only thing I can think of giving me trouble is if there out of spec or made from brittle material(once again I already bought it:( ). Its my understanding that the upper is the place I want to spend the most money. How are the Yankee Hill barrels, http://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/product392.html the bottom barrel is the one Im interested in. I already have a stripped upper that is supposed to be LMT from a gun show. It has the key hole marking on the side, is this what LMTs would have on them. I plan on buying the tested BCG from Bravo Company, but was looking at a Young chrome bolt carrier have any of you used these in a harsh situation?

I know alot of you use your guns in carbine courses and have seen DPMS rifles do poorly. Thats why Im not buying there gun, but I have always read that the lowers are all the same except for the logo. And the parts kit other than possibly being out of spec(which my mag catch from the stag kit was), I cant think of any reason to stay away. Now from reading here I should stay away for the BCG as the bolts have broken. But what else specificly has been a major problem with them as far as breakage at the carbine courses?

SWATcop556
07-04-08, 17:01
You are correct when you say "a lower is a lower" on most accounts. However there have been times where I have seen holes in the lower drilled in improper positions and "in-spec" parts kits would not fit them. DPMS is not one of the lowers this has occurred on.

FWIW I used a DPMS lower to put together a build for one of the officers at my old department. As long as you use good parts and what holds them together is "in-spec" it doesn't really matter whether it has a panther or a pony on the side.

YMMV Regardless of anything else....shoot the hell out of it and have fun!

berserk
07-15-08, 08:07
Wow over 100 views and 1 responce I thought I would wait it out for more responces, thank you for your help SwatCop that has made me feel a little better.

SWATcop556
07-16-08, 00:27
No prob. I never make the claim to know everything but i do try to help out when I can. Good luck!

Failure2Stop
07-16-08, 08:40
Lowers, as long as they are in-spec, are the least of your worries. Then again, if everything was in-spec, we wouldn't have the issues we see with all the "as good as" pieces.

While the lower is a minimal piece of concern, the LPK is a larger concern. Here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10093) is an interesting thread with pictures comparing LPKs. Keep in mind that these are just what can be seen with the naked eye, who knows what foolishness is going on inside.

LMT uppers are very easily identified by the "LMT" inside an oval, located on the left side below the rail, just behind the slip-ring. The keyhole mark is simply for Cerro Forge, who makes uppers for a lot of companies. It sounds like you are getting a CMT/Stag upper. Check this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5357&highlight=cerro+forge) on forge marks.

Regardless, it's the quality of all of the pieces in the upper, along with proficient individuals correctly installing everything to the correct torque specs and properly pinning/staking pieces that require it. I have no experience with Yankee Hill barrels, but as long as their gas port is the right size and their chamber is a true 5.56, and it is installed to the proper 30-80 ft/lbs, it shouldn't be an issue.