PDA

View Full Version : Should I be happy with this group?

DubsAR15
02-08-15, 19:52
FINALLY got to take my new AR out and shoot it. Had no idea what to expect. I was blown away at how it shot for what it is. This group is under 2" at around 90 yrds. This was shot with ultra cheap AE ammo and no rest. I was shooting off the window of my car door. Just putting the crosshairs of my Vector spitfire 3x on the center of the plate. The top hole is the sharpie pen mark. The guy that built it said if I run some Vmax through it and get a good rest, I'll be blown away at what it will shoot. I'm guessing it would naturally tighten up too as the barrel gets a little broken in. Am I looking at this right or is this no big deal? I am super stoked!!

samuse
02-08-15, 20:02
I would be satisfied.

All of this so called 'cheap, trashy, dirty, Wal Mart, surplus', or whatever ammo usually shoots a lot better than most people realize.

I have never had any ammo really let me down.

Eurodriver
02-08-15, 20:11
First, it's hard to tell exactly how big that group is. I'm assuming it's about 2"x2"?

Second, you didn't say what kind of rifle you had. 16" non free floated bushmaster? Decent group. 16" Noveske SS? You can do better. You mentioned the ammo, but even cheap 55gr is usually not terrible. If you had used M855, I would be impressed.

Third, you should never be happy with any group. If you mean "Should I conclude that my rifle is functioning well from this group?" your answer is yes. If you are asking if that is the pinnacle of accuracy you are capable of, the answer is most definitely no.

Lastly, and following the line of thought from above, what is your skill level? Are you a 16 year seasons USMC infantry vet? Or is this your first rifle? We need more info, "brotha" (said in LAV style)

DubsAR15
02-08-15, 20:31
Great questions. To start and clarify, I'm not as impressed with the group because of the ammo used but my rest was not good at all. It was a little windy and I was trying to get done before the rain. I just wanted to get some lead down range. This is my first ever AR in 223. Nothing special. Anderson upper and lower. Not chrome lined 16" barrel. Basically stock BCG and a 2 stage trigger that I love. I'm excited to get the light and grip off the rail so I can get it steadied on a bag. I'm stoked because I realize that this is only where the accuracy will start!!

I guess I should state that about 10 yrs ago I bought a Ruger mini 14 and couldn't believe how inaccurate that thing was.....paid good money for it too.

HD1911
02-08-15, 20:58
yup, considering the situation... that's Solid.

turnburglar
02-08-15, 21:36
That's definitely serviceable accuracy.

My wife used that ammo today and smacked a soda can at 200 yards. I don't discount m193.

Hank6046
02-08-15, 22:03
If you had better ammoand a steady platform and you could tighten that up nicely

DubsAR15
02-08-15, 23:22
Thanks for the input guys. One of the first things I need to do is get that light off the bottom and on the side of the rail so I happy better resting point. I think that alone will help. Also want to use a 20 round mags so everything is more flush. Can't wait to shoot it again. Thanks again.

ghostsup
02-09-15, 10:12
Nice, but wouldn't the window of your car door be considered a rest? You clearly stated no rest.

556BlackRifle
02-09-15, 11:26
After it breaks in and with some good ammo, I'm sure your groups will tighten up nicely.

markm
02-09-15, 11:42
Good for that magnification, that ammo, and an iffy rest.

DubsAR15
02-09-15, 14:42
Nice, but wouldn't the window of your car door be considered a rest? You clearly stated no rest.

Good point but I consider a "rest" being on a Caldwell bag where the gun is rock solid. The window sill acted more like a teeter totter than a rest. MarkM: I was surprised at how far away the paper plate was with the 3x. No use in putting a bullseye on the plate. Couldn't see it anyway. Looking forward to an updated plate pic! ;o)

RWH24
02-10-15, 13:23
If you had better ammoand a steady platform and you could tighten that up nicely

And NOT in a rush to get lead down range.

Take your time and shoot for groups, not just sling lead. Good enuff for starters.