PDA

View Full Version : Better Call Saul

jmp45
02-09-15, 10:12
Thought I'd throw this one up as a heads up. If you were a breaking bad fanboy this new series from the same writers looks like they hit it again. Two part premier on AMC, second part airing tonight. Then both parts airing after. We are definitely going to follow this one.

brickboy240
02-09-15, 15:45
Yep...as a Breaking Bad fan...I will tune in.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-09-15, 19:30
Watched it last night, left a lot more questions than answers…as it should. I brushed up on the last season of Breaking Bad to put it all together.

rushca01
02-09-15, 19:39
Watched it last night, left a lot more questions than answers…as it should. I brushed up on the last season of Breaking Bad to put it all together.

Watching the first season would make more sense from a character point as Tuco was introduced which is how I'm sure Saul gets contacted to Mike and eventually Gus.

Slow to start but started getting better by the end.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-09-15, 19:44
Watching the first season would make more sense from a character point as Tuco was introduced which is how I'm sure Saul gets contacted to Mike and eventually Gus.

Slow to start but started getting better by the end.

Yes…but the last season explains where the first scene of Better Call Saul comes from. The first season would also come into play. Having seen BB more than a few times all the way through, I remember quite a bit.

I'd love to see Mike thoroughly explored and a return of Gus Fring.

rushca01
02-09-15, 19:56
Yes…but the last season explains where the first scene of Better Call Saul comes from. The first season would also come into play. Having seen BB more than a few times all the way through, I remember quite a bit.

I'd love to see Mike thoroughly explored and a return of Gus Fring.

Cliff notes? I don't recall how BB last season and BCS relate to the first episode.

jmp45
02-09-15, 20:53
At first view it appeared to be unrelated to BB, something new just employing some familiar characters. But now you guys have me thinking, a prequel to BB maybe?

rushca01
02-09-15, 21:06
At first view it appeared to be unrelated to BB, something new just employing some familiar characters. But now you guys have me thinking, a prequel to BB maybe?

Yes, it is a prequel to BB and at some point this story line catches up with BB storyline with rumors of a Walter white cameo.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-09-15, 21:08
Cliff notes? I don't recall how BB last season and BCS relate to the first episode.

Saul and Walt are given new personas and moved out of New Mexico by a professional when it all goes to shit. Saul is moved to Omaha. Saul tells Walt that he (Saul) will be lucky to be managing a Cinnabun in 3 months….

rushca01
02-09-15, 21:10
Saul and Walt are given new personas and moved out of New Mexico by a professional when it all goes to shit. Saul is moved to Omaha. Saul tells Walt that he (Saul) will be lucky to be managing a Cinnabun in 3 months….

Ahh so the Cinnabon scene was a scene from the "future" and the series started in the semi recent past.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-09-15, 21:11
Ahh so the Cinnabon scene was a scene from the "future" and the series started in the semi recent past.

Yup, its supposed to start a few years before BB, and like you said, the Cinnabon scene is present time. Of course we will have to see how he becomes Goodman from McGill.

Rattlehead
02-09-15, 21:26
http://byt.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/restrain-this.gif

jmp45
02-09-15, 21:34
Makes sense guys, see how it goes..

Ed L.
02-09-15, 21:35
Whether you have seen the series Breaking Bad or not, Better Call Saul is a great stand alone series. It traces the decent of a desperate and underperforming lawyer from scams to representing criminals, and bigger and bigger criminals. The guy has got a genius for talking and is entertaining as hell to listen to.

nova3930
02-09-15, 23:21
I like it thus far after the first episode

Jer
02-10-15, 10:01
Subscribed but refraining from reading any posts as it's sitting on the DVR until we finish Breaking Bad. Just started it a couple of months ago and have 5 episodes left in the series. Worried about spoilers both here and on the first episode of Better Call Saul so I'll come back once we finish all of the above.

jmp45
02-10-15, 10:29
Bob Odenkirk really shined in BB, same in this series. A talented guy although I didn't get the birthday boys.

And then theres Jr. Brown's contribution..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGsC_LO3oFY

brickboy240
02-10-15, 11:07
ummm I believe a "return of Gus Fring" would be impossible.

He died a pretty nasty death in the last season of BB.

rushca01
02-10-15, 12:54
ummm I believe a "return of Gus Fring" would be impossible.

He died a pretty nasty death in the last season of BB.

This series is pre BB.

Pi3
02-12-15, 20:55
Saul & Gus were 2 of my favorite characters in BB, so I cant wait to see this prequil.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-17-15, 00:03
Anyone notice the Glock commercial towards the beginning of the show?

Jer
02-17-15, 09:37
I didn't watch last night's episode but I did see the first two after finished up Breaking Bad finally. Even though it's before the BB series it picks up my BB fix right where it left off. It did start off slow but I'm excited for the potential it has. Should be a good one.

markm
02-17-15, 10:25
Watched an episode last night, and it struck me as a little absurd along the line of Jack Bauer 24.

The one I saw was where the Ese Vatos took him and the skateboard scammers to the desert. They ended up not killing them. That just strikes me as ridiculous and contrived. Idiot thugs like that don't have a change of heart and let people go.

GunBugBit
02-17-15, 11:00
The series has started a little slow. Breaking Bad grabbed the viewers and pulled them in right away. Better Call Saul should hold onto Breaking Bad fans, but for those not steeped in Breaking Bad mythology, it might not seem as appealing.

KingsideRook
02-17-15, 11:16
Whether you have seen the series Breaking Bad or not, Better Call Saul is a great stand alone series. It traces the decent of a desperate and underperforming lawyer from scams to representing criminals, and bigger and bigger criminals. The guy has got a genius for talking and is entertaining as hell to listen to.

This is what it comes down to for me. One, I have a lot of faith in this writing team and the story they are beginning here, and I think if it starred someone else, I would still want to watch what this sleazy lawyer character does to try and succeed.

Two, Bob Odenkirk is also a highly entertaining actor with a long history of doing comedy writing and performance, and he has this character dialed in. I'd watch an hour of him reading the phone book, because he'd make it entertaining. Clearly AMC is on board too, they already ordered the first two seasons.

I don't think it's going to represent "reality" , per se - the writers clearly take liberties with the gangsters not shooting the skater, for the sake of story telling - but I like a good story, not everything has to be a 100% realistic portrayal of the world. If the characters are well written and well acted, and it's fun to wind them up and watch them bounce off of each other, then I don't really care if it's pretty unrealistic that Tuco didn't execute Jimmy & Friends out in the desert, because it let them set up the scene where Jimmy talks him down from doing so much damage.

Jer
02-17-15, 11:53
Watched an episode last night, and it struck me as a little absurd along the line of Jack Bauer 24.

The one I saw was where the Ese Vatos took him and the skateboard scammers to the desert. They ended up not killing them. That just strikes me as ridiculous and contrived. Idiot thugs like that don't have a change of heart and let people go.

I think that that's the point they were trying to make. Saul is a word-smith of epic proportion and it would take someone of rare talent to accomplish what he accomplished. They're trying to establish his character and if you watched Breaking Bad you saw what his connections were and what he was capable of but you didn't really know how he got there or what he possessed that got him there. This episode is going to the lengths of painting that picture for all of us so that we understand his beginnings a little bit better... which is the point of the series.