PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your "old reliable" carry pistols?

Ron3
02-09-15, 13:14
....When you find another pistol you prefer to carry more?

For me, it's my Gen 3 Glock 19. I got a Gen 4 Glock 32 with the intention of it being a "woods" gun. Well it turns out I really like the Gen 4 features. I prefer the texture (Less slippage), the mag release (Bigger and reversable), the slightly shorter grip (Less pinching) and of course the changeable back strap.

I like the gun so much I carry it all the time now and my G19 is a "stash/spare gun". I already had a gen 3 G19 "stash/spare gun". Both have been reliable for thousands of rounds.

So what do I want? I'd like a gen 4 G19.

At what point does it make more sense to sell even "old reliable" carry pistols to fund ammo and training?

Just wondering what some of you folks do. (Kinda ties in to my "how many defensive pistols do you need?" thread)

Hern13
02-09-15, 13:59
I just find a new role. I don't have any kids or guests often so I typically have one gun in each room. Something like that. Or a gift to a good friend.

The_Watcher
02-09-15, 14:03
I do not keep firearms I do not use. Except 2.

Ryno12
02-09-15, 14:08
I never sell guns. My last carry gun now resides in a lock box in one of my vehicles.

nolt
02-09-15, 14:20
I never sell guns. My last carry gun now resides in a lock box in one of my vehicles.

my rule for selling guns is:
unless you completely regret buying the gun, you will regret selling it.

samuse
02-09-15, 14:28
I buy new ones and make sure they work like I want before I sell good reliable ones.

I sold all my Gen2 Glock 19s for Gen3 19s. I sold my Gen3 19s for Gen3 RTF2 19s. I sold my RTF2 19s and now have Gen4 19s.

I do not regret getting rid of any of 'em. They're plastic. I buy new ones every few years and replace mags too.

Ron3
02-09-15, 14:35

You know, that's a pretty good motto. I like it and will consider it from now on.

RHINOWSO
02-09-15, 14:40
I have sold a good number of guns, don't really regret selling any of them as they weren't being use.

I haven't had to retire a good carry gun yet, as I've only been seriously carrying for the past 5 years. My first carry gun was an XD9SC and it gave me issues after 18 months, so I had it repaired and sold it. Moved on to the HK P2000SK which is one of my two EDC (Walther PPS is the other, depending on clothing, temperature, etc).

I'm considering trying a P320 Compact in the next couple of months and I think if it supplanted the SK, I'd probably keep it for the time being.

No sense in selling a good carry gun unless you really need the money or you haven't shot it in years. I see so much of the "Carried a <insert quality gun>, the saw the <flava of the month>, love it, sold the original carry gun. Couple months later it didn't take, so I'm looking for another of the one I sold".

nolt
02-09-15, 14:56
yeah if I bought more guns than I do I might have to reconsider my rule. =\

The_War_Wagon
02-09-15, 15:55
Truck gun!

Got more trucks than truck GUNS right now! I currently need another nice Star Firestar M45, or an RIA Tactical perhaps.

c3006
02-09-15, 16:09
I have the till death do us part oath with mine so no worries here.

Psalms144.1
02-09-15, 16:12
My rule is - 6 months untouched in the safe and it goes on the chopping block. The exceptions are these: guns I got as gifts, guns with sentimental value, and guns the are hard to replace. For instance, I have a P7M8 that comes out of the safe maybe once per year - but I won't part with it because I could never replace it. Same with a custom S&W Model 28 that was converted to a 3.5" .45 LC - never going anywhere.

But a Glock that became surplus wouldn't stay around long...

buckshot1220
02-09-15, 16:22
Generally speaking, and like others have stated, if it bares no sentimental value and hasn't been used in a while it usually goes up for sale/trade.

As for your specific situation, I find myself in a similar one as moving to the Gen4 Glocks has my 19 Gen3 sitting more often than normal. I always wanted to do the 19/26 hybrid or short grip conversion and really don't want a Gen4 26 because the texture might be too aggressive against my skin in the summer months. Therefore I am most likely going that route with it. If you don't already have a backup or a stash gun here and there, having a 19 tucked away in some obscure spot (assuming no kids) isn't the worst thing in the world.

Uni-Vibe
02-09-15, 22:30
You sell your "old reliable" .45 ACP carry gun, and buy the exact same gun in 9mm.

Mr blasty
02-09-15, 22:50
There's 2 shooters in my house and 2 vehicle's, carry guns, beater /trainers, and then loaners because I have friends and family who shoot as well. Probably going to be borrowing a long gun to my sister for a while because she just moved to a shity area and only has pistols. I try to slim it down as much as possible because I'd rather focus on ammo, lights, optics and spare parts. I'm a shooter, not a collector but I keep finding a void in my armory. It bugs me to think about having to spend money on a gun instead of ammo. Id rather have one rifle and pistol and shoot as much as Haley or the like but I keep needing more. Just glad that I can help keep loved ones shooting as well though.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

RHINOWSO
02-10-15, 14:11
You sell your "old reliable" .45 ACP carry gun, and buy the exact same gun in 9mm.

Until 45 comes back in vogue, then you sell the old 9MM and look for your 45... :p

Wolvee
02-10-15, 16:32
I'd just work it into the rotation once in a while. No reason for me to sell any more guns off. I've got 3 of every gun I carry normally and I love them all, 2 of the 3 do work and the extra sits in my safe waiting for the day I need to the put it into rotation. It's just pure security.

brickboy240
02-10-15, 16:36
If it runs 100% and is in good condition...I keep it.

I still have my 2nd gen G17 because i don't ditch pistols that flat out run and give no troubles.

I'd keep it...a 3rd gen G19 is something you should always have as a backup.

I love my 3rd gen G19 and would never ditch it.

opmike
02-10-15, 16:53

This hasn't been my experience.

I typically have a good (or at least one that I've convinced myself is good) reason for selling a gun. If for some reason I felt I've made a mistake, it's typically a trivial matter of reacquiring another one. That's assuming you have any of the mass produced guns currently on the market. I'd be less inclined to sell something like a quality P7, but something like Glocks are power drills to me.

Uni-Vibe
02-10-15, 16:59
Until 45 comes back in vogue, then you sell the old 9MM and look for your 45... :p

Nope. I don't see how the passage of time, or changing fashions, will make me shoot the .45 better than the nine.

GO_ALLOUT
02-11-15, 07:05
Keep em and save em unless there's a reason I dislike it or its something that I just don't use.

Worst case, I end up with a safe full of guns and one day pass them down to children, grandchildren, etc...

Some of my most cherished firearms were those given to me by my grandfather.

pat701
02-11-15, 08:48

Keep the old reliables is what i do.

FrankinCA
02-12-15, 22:28
I treat my older firearms like the Triarii - last line of defense.

BoringGuy45
02-12-15, 23:01
My M&P45 is my night stand gun right now. It was a great carry piece, especially for a full size gun, but I wanted something smaller and with higher capacity, so I got a Glock 19. But 3 years, 2 police academies, thousands of rounds, an Apex trigger upgrade, IDPA match, etc...I've invested too much time to get rid of this gun. It'll also be my carry gun for when I travel to ban states to visit family.

CAVDOC
02-13-15, 09:24
I started shooting in the early 1980's and started with 1911's and smith revolvers. I then proceeded to go through every phase of gunning as I like to say- beretta hk sig more 1911's glock etc. after every phase I found my self reverting back to a few standbys- smith revolvers a 1911 or two and a couple glocks. I am at the point in my life now where I see no reason to run out and buy the flavor of the week. Do the guns I have run? Check. Do they put the bullets on target in relation to the sights? Check. Sort of like the military rifle trial where they announce the next heir apparent to the m16 series then decide it really is not worth changing. You reach a certain point when new is not actually better. Over time my pistol battery has gone from over forty pistols down to under twenty now and while I used to sort of collect, am down to the conclusion I keep only working guns. Even at under twenty I see 6 or8 that could go away with no heart break

nova3930
02-13-15, 10:54

Yep, for the most part I don't sell guns. There's always room in the collection for 1 more...

TMS951
02-13-15, 11:13
At what point does it make more sense to sell even "old reliable" carry pistols to fund ammo and training?

Never, if you must part with it give it to some one who deserves and could use it. Wife, child, parent, old friend. A dependable gun is not one worth selling, it is worth giving away if it may save the life of some one you love.

saints75
02-13-15, 12:44
My Glock 27. I am hopping that will change soon ;)

Dienekes
02-16-15, 21:52
Never, if you must part with it give it to some one who deserves and could use it. Wife, child, parent, old friend. A dependable gun is not one worth selling, it is worth giving away if it may save the life of some one you love.

Second that. With the exception of curios and plinkers, I won't have an unreliable or ill-fitting handgun on the place. But I do have some very serviceable antiques around, with another century left in them.