PDA

View Full Version : Hand dirty from gas

Socom Elite
02-09-15, 23:08
I noticed a while ago after a range trip that my left hand was dirty from gas from my gas block. It's a factory pinned FSB that I shaved down to go under my rail. Anyone else get this? Is this normal? Or is my gas block loose? Rifle functions fine. Figured if ask just to check before I take my rail off and have to re zero.

Sasahara
02-09-15, 23:37
No gas should be escaping from your gas block. 100% positive its coming from the gas block and not from your MD throwing stuff out?

Socom Elite
02-09-15, 23:54
It was on the inside of my left hand so I don't think it was from my muzzle device. The GB isn't all the way against the shoulder of the barrel but it feels tight when trying to move it through the holes in the rail. I guess I'll have to take the rail off and check.

4thPointOfContact
02-10-15, 03:12
Did you have to remove the FSB to shave it? I've heard* that sometimes it takes a few rounds downrange before any tolerances/gaps are completely sealed up again.

*yes, purely anecdotal evidence, but I have heard it mentioned.

Shiz
02-10-15, 06:26
A tiny bit of gas will escape from where the FSB and gas tube meet on a newer rifle. Not a big deal. (especially on standard A2 gas blocks/fsb) After a while it tends to seal itself. Look for a little discoloring on the front of the gas tube.

Socom Elite
02-10-15, 07:58
[QUOTE=Shiz;2078715]A tiny bit of gas will escape from where the FSB and gas tube meet on a newer rifle. Not a big deal. (especially on standard A2 gas blocks/fsb) After a while it tends to seal itself. Look for a little discoloring on the front of the gas tube.[/QUOTE

I popped the rail off and checked the gas block. It's tight. No movement. Now off to the range to re zero. I'll throw a couple hundred rounds downrange and see if it still does it. As long as it functions fine it doesn't really matter to me. Just curious if it's normal. I probably have 2k rounds through the gun and it functions perfectly. I shoot Tula through it maybe that's the cause of extra dirtyness.

Onyx Z
02-10-15, 08:10
The carbon fouling should seal the gas block up in no time.

redmist
02-10-15, 13:55
The carbon fouling should seal the gas block up in no time.

It could possibly be excess gas venting through the clover leaf cut at the front of the receiver also. If your hand is just dirty, and you don't see an obvious escape path track at the gas block.

Campbell
02-10-15, 19:51
It could possibly be excess gas venting through the clover leaf cut at the front of the receiver also. If your hand is just dirty, and you don't see an obvious escape path track at the gas block.

This is very possible...

Socom Elite
02-10-15, 20:25
This is very possible...

Well in my case my hand is pretty far away from the upper. And my hand is right where the gas block is.

Mrgunsngear just posted a pic on FB about this same issue. Except his was hitting his light
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt11/hockey55/BBF8993B-E7CF-4A4A-B81D-EFADAB95127D.jpg (http://s593.photobucket.com/user/hockey55/media/BBF8993B-E7CF-4A4A-B81D-EFADAB95127D.jpg.html)