PDA

View Full Version : I want a .17 HMR.

Crow Hunter
02-10-15, 07:15
Well, I have decided that I want to get a nice new .17 HMR for the express purpose of defending my homestead from the muskrat invasion but in reality I am just itching to buy a new gun.;)

Ideally I would like this new gun to be the start of a new "family" of rimfire guns. Eventually, I would like to get a new .22 Mag and a .22 LR to replace my old Marlins.

In the absolute best case this "family" of guns would also have big brother centerfire rifles with similar safety location/action. Ruger 77 series seems to be the only option for this and I like the idea of it but I have read that the Ruger 77/22 etal are not very accurate for the money you pay.

What would you guys recommend?

Hmac
02-10-15, 07:31
I have never owned a rifle that's as accurate as my Ruger 10-22 with Kidd barrel and Kidd trigger.

Crow Hunter
02-10-15, 07:35
I have never owned a rifle that's as accurate as my Ruger 10-22 with Kidd barrel and Kidd trigger.

Any particular ammo or just anything you can stuff in the barrel?

RHINOWSO
02-10-15, 07:59
CZ 455 3-barrel combo set - 17HMR, 22LR, 22MAG all in one.

You won't regret it.

Mine (I only have the 17HMR and 22LR barrels ATT) is a laser beam.

Here it is with a Simmons scope I had laying around, it's been replaced though.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/CZ452/5C082C60-FAC8-4BDB-A7D8-82A912196DD7.jpg (http://s747.photobucket.com/user/rhinowso/media/CZ452/5C082C60-FAC8-4BDB-A7D8-82A912196DD7.jpg.html)

J-Dub
02-10-15, 12:27
Just buy a Sako Quad..then you'll have 22lr, 22wmr, 17hm2, and 17hmr.

Hmac
02-10-15, 13:04
Any particular ammo or just anything you can stuff in the barrel?

At some point in the last few years I stumbled on a couple of thousand rounds of CCI Standard Velocity at a good price. I haven't bought any additional .22 since and it's about all I shoot through any of the .22s that I own.

RHINOWSO
02-10-15, 14:14
17hm2What's the point of a barrel you'll never find ammo for?

No doubt a Sako is the bomb, but the cost difference between one and CZ rules it out.

brickboy240
02-10-15, 16:33
The Savage 17s are really accurate and nice rifles for the money.

Dad has a 17HMR Golden Boy and amazingly enough...the thing is very accurate.

The 17 is a very accurate round but we have found that it barely gets the job done on coyotes and large feral dogs. For small varmints like a raccoon or possum it is fine but for larger varmints....give me my 22-250 please!

Hmac
02-10-15, 18:04
Dad has a 17HMR Golden Boy and amazingly enough...the thing is very accurate.

I have one too. Beautiful wood and a very pretty rifle (until you scratch the painted zamak receiver cover) but mine is mediocre in the accuracy department. It works fine in .17 HMR, with a very smooth action, as long as you don't cycle it too fast. Additionally, the drop-at-comb of the Golden Boys makes mounting a scope on their cantilever scope mount with anything other than a laughable cheek weld pretty much not feasible. More like a chin weld.

I would never recommend a Henry rifle, especially a Golden Boy, as a serious utility firearm.

.17 HMR does a great job on porcupines and muskrats. I've never shot anything larger than that with it, but from what I read, coyotes are pretty marginal for that round.

zacii
02-10-15, 19:10
I have a Marlin 917V, with a Mueller APV 4X14 scope. I can shoot a dime sized group at 100 yds with it.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/10/e437ce2b4b68111a6ecbabc43caa04c8.jpg

I highly recommend getting one. When I was shopping for mine, the research indicated that Savage & Marlin were the most popular and generally very accurate. The Ruger 77/17 didn't get as good reviews for accuracy, and cost quite a bit more money.

Since I bought mine, Ruger has brought out the American; it seems to get good reviews and it's more affordable. If I was to buy another 17, I would be tempted to buy a Ruger Predator version.

Crow Hunter
02-11-15, 07:19
I have a Marlin 917V, with a Mueller APV 4X14 scope. I can shoot a dime sized group at 100 yds with it.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/10/e437ce2b4b68111a6ecbabc43caa04c8.jpg

I highly recommend getting one. When I was shopping for mine, the research indicated that Savage & Marlin were the most popular and generally very accurate. The Ruger 77/17 didn't get as good reviews for accuracy, and cost quite a bit more money.

Since I bought mine, Ruger has brought out the American; it seems to get good reviews and it's more affordable. If I was to buy another 17, I would be tempted to buy a Ruger Predator version.

Did you get your Marlin before or after they were acquired by Freedom Group?

I have thought long and hard about getting a Marlin. I have 2 other Marlin bolt guns that I have had for years. I am just a little leery of the potential quality issues I have heard about on some Marlins.

That and the triggers on both of my Marlins are nothing to write home about. Heck my stock Glock triggers are better. :)

zacii
02-11-15, 07:57
I got my Marlin 4 or 5 years ago, I can't remember exactly.

The trigger is the only thing I don't like about it. It's really stiff. There is a cheap fix on the internet; some folks use a bic pen spring in place of the trigger spring, which makes the trigger easier to operate. I can't say if it really works, haven't tried it myself.

I will add that when I bought it and got it home, I realized that the barrel and action were loose in the stock. It turned out that the recoil lug screw was too long and wasn't holding the stock securely. I used a washer to shorten the screw and that solved the problem. Shortly after that I got a grinder and cut a fraction off the screw, and it's been good since.

jmnielsen
02-11-15, 08:35
I have a 77/22 SS All weather that I got about 15 years ago for my first ever gun, and I love it. It's very accurate. I really like the 77/17 but they are quite spendy for me. I have a Marlin 917V like zacii that my dad got me as a birthday gift a while ago. It is very accurate (dime sized groups @ 100 yds) and I believe he paid $200 before tax for it at cabelas. He has a savage .17 (not sure the model) that is nice as well. No clue how accurate it is because he doesn't shoot it much but I expect it to be a shooter. Part of the reason I like my 917V though is that it feels more like a centerfire rifle than a small rimfire rifle. It's still smaller than my centerfires, but it weighs about 7 pounds scoped and has a 22" barrel.

brickboy240
02-11-15, 11:40
Oh no...I don't recommend the Golden Boy. I was just amazed at the accuracy of the one that Dad bought.

I'd go with one of the Savages with their Accu-Trigger. Hard to go wrong with the Savage.

Sean W.
02-11-15, 11:44
Savage has a semi-auto .17 rifle coming out. A17 I think.

Keith E.
02-11-15, 12:38
I had one of the early Savage package deal bolt guns with the heavy barrel. The trigger sucked but that thing was really accurate with the poly-tip loadings (Hornady & Remington), not so much with the CCI HP load. Their newer trigger offerings should help quite a bit. The crows were not at all happy that it was in the neighborhood.

I also had a Ruger 77-17 with a sporter weight barrel, nice stock, etc. It was basically the baby brother to their centerfire bolt 77's but not as accurate as the hvy bbl Savage. It was a very nice rifle though. PM imbound.

Keith

zacii
02-11-15, 12:51
My Marlin prefers the 17 grain Vmax from Hornady or Federal. The 20 grain stuff didn't work well in my rifle.

The Winchester 17 grain stuff always misfired, so I don't buy it anymore.

Edm
02-11-15, 21:27
I have a Handi rifle in 17 hmr that shoots like. Laser gun. Ws cheap too.

krazykurt88
02-17-15, 20:45
Love my savage thing is a beast never had any problems

Abraham
02-18-15, 11:22
I too own a Savage 17 HMR bolt action. It cost a little under $200.00

I've killed 2 feral hogs with it and much vermin.

Both hogs were killed with one shot to the head with CCI FMJ's.

The first one was a sow 75/80 lbs shot from my back porch - about a 40 yd shot. Mighty good eating...

The second had to have gone well over 200 lbs shot at point blank range.

I actually didn't want to shoot this boar, but there was something distinctly wrong with him. He was rooting in our flower beds that border our deck. I came outside clapped my hands to make him spook off into the woods, but he ignored me. So, I went inside the house, grabbed my rifle and got with 6" of his head (I was standing on my deck aiming down) and pulled the trigger - end of crazy boar.

He looked mangy, not healthy, so I didn't didn't eat him.

He became vulture food, ah, well away from the house.

Jcritchlow
02-18-15, 11:28
Consider getting a 17 hornet, they have the same trajectory as a .223 to 300yds. Still quiet enough for varmint in the back yard.

Shao
02-18-15, 12:19
Savage has a semi-auto .17 rifle coming out. A17 I think.

I've read that .17 HMR isn't safe in a semi. Anyone know what that's about?

Hmac
02-18-15, 12:31
Two problems IIUC...higher pressures making rimfire OOB discharge quite problematic, the other is the pointy bullet tip in a tubular magazine. Supposedly, the polymer tip .17 HMR's aren't a problem.

From CCI several years ago...

PRODUCT SAFETY NOTICE AND WARNING

17 HMR AMMUNITION

August 20, 2009

Dear Customer:

Do not use 17 HMR ammunition in semi-automatic firearms. Use of 17 HMR ammunition in semi-automatic firearms may result in serious personal injury or property damage.

17 HMR ammunition is manufactured in accordance with standards issued by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufactures’ Institute (SAAMI). Subsequent to the design and introduction of 17 HMR ammunition to the market, 17 HMR semi-automatic firearms were introduced by various firearm manufacturers. Those firearms have proven to be incompatible with 17 HMR ammunition. 17 HMR ammunition is suitable for use in quality firearms in good condition that are not semi-automatic.

Accordingly, do not use 17 HMR ammunition in semi-automatic firearms. Only use 17 HMR in modern firearms in good condition marked for 17 HMR cartridges. Always use eye and ear protection. Always read all product labeling carefully for instructions on safe use.

Please contact your gun manufacturer. For ammunition questions contact CCI Technical Service at 1-866-286-7436 or Federal Premium Product Services at 1-800-831-0850.

Sean W.
02-18-15, 14:04
I've read that .17 HMR isn't safe in a semi. Anyone know what that's about?

The secret, they say, is the delayed-blowback action. Straight blowback, as used for 22 LR, allows the bolt to open too quickly for hotter magnums. An interrupter lug slows the opening of the bolt just enough to allow the pressure in the barrel to dissipate so the empty shell can be reliably extracted.

The A17 is described as having a completely new action “with multiple patents pending.”

CCI, also owned by the conglomerate ATK that owns Savage, offers a 17 HMR load tailored specifically to the A17 rifle, although they said it should work with other 17 HMR ammo. - See more at: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/01/29/savage-a17-commercially-viable-semi-auto-17-hmr/#sthash.bMNSYs3U.dpuf

Don't know if this helps.