PDA

View Full Version : Factory 9mm Ammunition

akm4guy
02-10-15, 19:33
I recently acquired a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield and full-size M&P, both 9mm. I'm not set up yet for reloading for this cartridge but will here eventually. Until then, what factory options should I look for? What's working best for you guys?

CatSnipah
02-10-15, 19:53
Goodness, what all have I used in all my pistols (9 mm)?

Range ammo (mostly 115 gr)
Geco
Freedom new (mostly) and reman (some)
Federal / American Eagle
Wolf (not in my shield, and in very small quantities)
Freedom new 124 gr for my Shield
LAX
Independence
MiMC (tested out 200 rounds)
Precision One (never again)
WWB (never again)
PMC
Speer
Blazer Brass

HD...
Speer (carry choice 1)
Federal HST (carry choice 1a)
Hornady FlexLok

MegademiC
02-10-15, 20:57
I recently acquired a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield and full-size M&P, both 9mm. I'm not set up yet for reloading for this cartridge but will here eventually. Until then, what factory options should I look for? What's working best for you guys?

The cheapest thing I can find. If your shooting for groups at 25, maybe something nice. Federal American Eagle is the worst I've shot, followed by fed champion. Tula groups better but tries to blow your gun up more often. I haven't found anything particularly accurate, but it's probably me.

Have fun.

RWH24
02-15-15, 21:48
Aquilla 124gr FMJ shoots well from my Shield, FS and 9L, all 9mm.
Speer 124gr +P also shoots well as does S&B 115gr FMJ
All 3 are from Sept 2013 to July 2014

akm4guy
02-15-15, 23:31
I had the worst day ever pretty much shooting both of my S&W pistols today. Not sure if it is the ammo or that I just suck at pistol shooting. I'm guessing the later. I'll start another thread in the right area regarding today, but still looking for suggestions on good ammo that works for you guys.

superswamper
02-16-15, 00:34
I've had good luck with Blazer aluminum cased ammo. Probably not the first choice for most folks on here, but it has never let me down reliability wise.

bjxds
02-16-15, 09:30

Range ammo (mostly 115 gr)
Geco
Freedom new (mostly) and reman (some)
Federal / American Eagle
Wolf (not in my shield, and in very small quantities)
Freedom new 124 gr for my Shield
LAX
Independence
MiMC (tested out 200 rounds)
Precision One (never again)
WWB (never again)
PMC
Speer
Blazer Brass

HD...
Speer (carry choice 1)
Federal HST (carry choice 1a)
Hornady FlexLok

+1 for the above and What ever I buy cheapest at the time.

tacoops
02-18-15, 14:22
I have been shooting a lot of the Federal Aluminum 115gr lately, haven't had any problems with it and at ten bucks for a box of 50 at wally world I can't complain. Heck I finally got all ten shots inside the 6 ring at 25 yards with it. One ammo I will never try again is Tula Brassmax, I had multiple squibs and ftf's from a couple of the 100 count cans you get a walmart. Luckily I noticed and didn't blow up my pistol.

FBF
02-18-15, 22:18
Check out PRVI. I have used it to break in several Wilsons, and have never had a glitch. The brass comes out in great shape for reloading. For self defense, either Golden Sabre or HST in 147. The latter is my favorite.

What problems did you have at the range? Did you start another thread?

Keith E.
02-19-15, 12:04

WWB (never again)

Why no WWWB Love? I use it for range, USPSA and IDPA ammo. What issues have you had?

Thanks,
Keith

CatSnipah
02-19-15, 12:12
Why no WWWB Love? I use it for range, USPSA and IDPA ammo. What issues have you had?

Thanks,
Keith

Out of one box (100 rounds of 9 mm):
4 Failures to fire - two fired on the second strike, two did not after three total strikes
8 underpowered loads, including 2 that squibbed
1 primer blew out, resulting in a failed ejection and causing the gun to jam
And it was generally filthy, which might have been related to general under-burning of the powder. It was dirtier than any steel case I've ever used (and I don't tend to use that much, just giving a frame of reference).

I had a similar miserable experience with 200 rounds of Precision One. That's why I won't touch their crap ever again, either.

ETA - I'm accepting of the fact that any manufacturing process will have an inherent failure rate. But 13% on my first experience isn't going to bring me back.