PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Inc. Glock Edge connector

BufordTJustice
02-11-15, 18:24
I have used the Ghost Inc. Edge connector in two different gen 4 glocks, a 26 and a 19.

Both times, the edge connector came highly polished and very well machined. It performs as advertised in greatly reducing the hump at the end of the trigger pull. It's also a slightly lighter pull than the standard minus connector and it has a superior reset to the minus connector. Reset is just as good as the dot connector that came in the guns.

I have been struck by the smoothness of the overall trigger pull as well.

My glock creds: over 15,000 rounds through various glocks in bone stock condition....mostly through my old issued gen 3 G21 (recently replaced by my agency with a gen 4 G21). I shoot well with anything but the extra heavy new York trigger.

I have no intention of touting my own abilities, but it's important to know that I'm not attempting to obtain a hardware remedy for a software problem (poor fundamentals).

In the real world, I can sustain a reasonably high rate of fire while standing, on a std silhouette target at 50 meters using the edge connector over a dot or a minus connector.

I've got over 2000 rounds on two edge connectors in the two above mentioned glocks.

GTF425
02-11-15, 18:39
The one I dropped in my Gen 3 19 failed to reset three times over 500 rounds with all factory spring weights. Given that is my daily carry pistol, I swapped back to the OEM connector.

The feel on the take up is nice, that's for sure. Maybe I just got a lemon.

BufordTJustice
02-11-15, 19:38
The one I dropped in my Gen 3 19 failed to reset three times over 500 rounds with all factory spring weights. Given that is my daily carry pistol, I swapped back to the OEM connector.

The feel on the take up is nice, that's for sure. Maybe I just got a lemon.
Could be your factory trigger bar. I work for a large agency and we had that issue with some gen 3 trigger bars having a slightly rounded edge, possibly from improper heat treat (also saw some gouging on the safety plunger depressor). They failed with factory connectors, but only every so often.

Might be worth checking.

GTF425
02-11-15, 19:59
I honestly think I have a slightly out of spec connector. I'll pull the trigger bar this weekend and do a side by side with a new one I have laying around.

That pistol has a little over 3k through it after swapping back to the OEM connector and I haven't had any issues since. I'll drop the Edge in another pistol soon and see if it works any better.

I've heard tons of guys are happy with these, just throwing it out there.

BufordTJustice
02-11-15, 20:06
I honestly think I have a slightly out of spec connector. I'll pull the trigger bar this weekend and do a side by side with a new one I have laying around.

That pistol has a little over 3k through it after swapping back to the OEM connector and I haven't had any issues since. I'll drop the Edge in another pistol soon and see if it works any better.

I've heard tons of guys are happy with these, just throwing it out there.
It's not outside the realm of possibility the edge connector is out of spec. I was just throwing that scenario out there. We were blaming deputies for stuff that truly wasn't their fault.

You mind posting in this thread what you find? You got me curious now.

GTF425
02-11-15, 20:08
Sure thing. I'll have something together by next Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on what I can get done this weekend.

rondooley
02-11-15, 21:07
Anyone find that they fit much looser than oem connectors?

BufordTJustice
02-12-15, 17:53
Anyone find that they fit much looser than oem connectors?
In what way?

Voodoo_Man
02-12-15, 18:28
Do not know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I have had issues with Ghost connectors in gen4 glocks. Specifically gen4 labeled connectors, I had an issue with in my gen4's.

BufordTJustice
02-12-15, 18:52
Do not know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I have had issues with Ghost connectors in gen4 glocks. Specifically gen4 labeled connectors, I had an issue with in my gen4's.
Can you be more specific?

Voodoo_Man
02-12-15, 18:58
Can you be more specific?

I was specifically referring to the ghost ranger setup, but from what I have seen from friends who run after market triggers, the ghost setups are a no go for reliability.

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2014/09/glock-trigger-updates-issues.html#more

BufordTJustice
02-12-15, 19:15
I was specifically referring to the ghost ranger setup, but from what I have seen from friends who run after market triggers, the ghost setups are a no go for reliability.

Well, I have dozens of buddies who specifically use the ranger 4.5 connectors and have, collectively, 20,000 rounds through these connectors. The only reason one could have a reset issue is improperly balanced spring weights between the striker and trigger springs.

I have used ranger 4.5 and edge 3.5 and never had an issue. I did, however, replicate the trigger safety bow issue noted in that blog when i used a 6 lb trigger spring and a 4 lb striker spring.....but that was with a factory dot connector.

punkey71
02-12-15, 19:22

ETA - I was typing and didn't see Buford's response. Very similar experience.

Just one guy, but my experience is as follows -

Ghost Rockets
Ghost Edges
Ghost Evo Elites

Probably 35k+ rounds combined in Gen 3 & 4, 19s and 17s over the past several years. I have never had an issue related to the connectors. Not one. I've really never had any issues at all, connector or otherwise - boringly reliable.

I've put a half dozen in for friends and never see a problem with theirs either.

Did the gentleman with the blog have "competition" springs installed?

That being said, the only time reset seemed marginal with mine was when I put a light striker spring in a USPSA gun. Didn't like it and stuck with Ghost connectors and extra power trigger springs only.

An Improper angle on the connector can also induce reset issues. That can happen with any connector - including Glock OEM.

Just one guys experience...nothing more.

Best
Harold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BufordTJustice
02-12-15, 19:43
ETA - I was typing and didn't see Buford's response. Very similar experience.

Just one guy, but my experience is as follows -

Ghost Rockets
Ghost Edges
Ghost Evo Elites

Probably 35k+ rounds combined in Gen 3 & 4, 19s and 17s over the past several years. I have never had an issue related to the connectors. Not one. I've really never had any issues at all, connector or otherwise - boringly reliable.

I've put a half dozen in for friends and never see a problem with theirs either.

Did the gentleman with the blog have "competition" springs installed?

That being said, the only time reset seemed marginal with mine was when I put a light striker spring in a USPSA gun. Didn't like it and stuck with Ghost connectors and extra power trigger springs only.

An Improper angle on the connector can also induce reset issues. That can happen with any connector - including Glock OEM.

Just one guys experience...nothing more.

Best
Harold

Correct. Anybody can have a bad batch go out. Glock has.....to law enforcement agencies.

rondooley
02-12-15, 21:43
I was referring to the fitment of the connector in the trigger housing. My two edge connectors hardly stay in by themselves

BufordTJustice
02-13-15, 07:21
I was referring to the fitment of the connector in the trigger housing. My two edge connectors hardly stay in by themselves

Gotcha. Maybe very slightly. But both required quite a bit of force and a pin punch to swap out. I worked in a glock once whee you could pull the connector out with your fingernails, but that was because it had seen more connector swaps than Doctor Who.

That's indeed strange.

Voodoo_Man
02-13-15, 07:40
I had a very similar issue as I posted about in two different guns. a good friend began to have NDs at the range because the connector wore out in a particular spot. So we dumped them completely. Between the two of us we have over 100k through three glocks, he ran his g17 with ranger connector for about 7k and it gave him issues.

Polished dot or minorminominus connector seem to be best bang for buck.

BufordTJustice
02-13-15, 08:26
I had a very similar issue as I posted about in two different guns. a good friend began to have NDs at the range because the connector wore out in a particular spot. So we dumped them completely. Between the two of us we have over 100k through three glocks, he ran his g17 with ranger connector for about 7k and it gave him issues.

Polished dot or minorminominus connector seem to be best bang for buck.
That still may not be a connector issue. Trigger bars as they come from glock area typically very rough and it is routine for them to gouge connectors in our agency guns (we are 1700+ sworn). But, the glock connector has a nickel plating on their factory connector and trigger bar and this reacts differently to the jagged edge on a trigger bar than the surface of, say, a ghost or vanek highly polished connector.

I have never seen an issue as you describe as long as the rough edges on the trigger bar have been knocked down to a true 90 degree angle.

Gouged connectors are commonplace in high round count glocks at my agency, but the surface treatments allow them to have pretty flawed interfacing surfaces and still function.

As for having an ND, that's virtually Unpossible to have solely based on a connector. Unless you mean that the striker was released too early in the trigger pull.

Voodoo_Man
02-13-15, 08:42
That still may not be a connector issue. Trigger bars as they come from glock area typically very rough and it is routine for them to gouge connectors in our agency guns (we are 1700+ sworn). But, the glock connector has a nickel plating on their factory connector and trigger bar and this reacts differently to the jagged edge on a trigger bar than the surface of, say, a ghost or vanek highly polished connector.

I have never seen an issue as you describe as long as the rough edges on the trigger bar have been knocked down to a true 90 degree angle.

Gouged connectors are commonplace in high round count glocks at my agency, but the surface treatments allow them to have pretty flawed interfacing surfaces and still function.

As for having an ND, that's virtually Unpossible to have solely based on a connector. Unless you mean that the striker was released too early in the trigger pull.

My PD doesnt use aftermarket anything, we very rarely have any issue with our glocks (5000+) and if we do its because of maintenance issues.

The ND came as a second shot on reset and sometimes as a double tap. Removed the ghost part no issues since.

BufordTJustice
02-13-15, 09:38
My PD doesnt use aftermarket anything, we very rarely have any issue with our glocks (5000+) and if we do its because of maintenance issues.

The ND came as a second shot on reset and sometimes as a double tap. Removed the ghost part no issues since.

My agency either. Bone stock guns. Each of which gets at LEAST 1k rounds per year (with several hundred being frang). And that's for deputies that don't use their monthly practice allotment. Specialty teams typically top 12k per year per gun.

A true shot triggered by reset can only be caused by inadequate sear engagement. Which is interesting, because the edge allows for slightly more sear engagement than a std glock connector.

Your friend was most likely unintentionally finding the shorter reset of the edge. One of my buddies did the exact same thing with my G26. But I was standing right next to him and he FLINCHED. His finger moved the trigger. It didn't double fire.

EDIT: This may be a good time to point out the lack of extra heavy wall at the end of the trigger stroke may not be for everybody. The edge tends to feel a lot like the Geissele S3G in that there is very little wall. Unintentional follow up shots are common with the S3G and its why Geissele includes two springs so one can tune the trigger.

punkey71
02-13-15, 10:10
My agency either. Bone stock guns. Each of which gets at LEAST 1k rounds per year (with several hundred being frang). And that's for deputies that don't use their monthly practice allotment. Specialty teams typically top 12k per year per gun.

A true shot triggered by reset can only be caused by inadequate sear engagement. Which is interesting, because the edge allows for slightly more sear engagement than a std glock connector.

Your friend was most likely unintentionally finding the shorter reset of the edge. One of my buddies did the exact same thing with my G26. But I was standing right next to him and he FLINCHED. His finger moved the trigger. It didn't double fire.

EDIT: This may be a good time to point out the lack of extra heavy wall at the end of the trigger stroke may not be for everybody. The edge tends to feel a lot like the Geissele S3G in that there is very little wall.

I've allowed friends to shoot my Evo Elite and Rocket equipped guns and seen them quickly double them. They look at me like I handed them a malfunctioning gun. It wasn't. It was shooter induced.

For those not familiar with Evos and Rockets, They have an extremely short amount of over travel (basically none) and a short reset.

Going from a standard Glock OEM connector to a fitted Ghost connector is quite a difference.

Voodoo_Man
02-13-15, 13:30
I can say without hesitation that its not shooter induced. One trigger pull does not equal two shots unless its selectfire or malfunctioning. In this case it was malfunctioning.

tonyxcom
02-13-15, 15:13
I am little late to this party but I put a Ghost Rocket connector in a G30S and it failed to reset in live fire. A shooting buddy of mine had a similar experience with a Ghost connector. I will no longer use or recommend them. Seeing more stories about reset problems with these connectors is not surprising.

I have been using Taran Tactical's Grand Master spring and connector kits in my race guns and have been very happy with them for production and SSP shooting.

BufordTJustice
02-13-15, 15:42
I am little late to this party but I put a Ghost Rocket connector in a G30S and it failed to reset in live fire. A shooting buddy of mine had a similar experience with a Ghost connector. I will no longer use or recommend them. Seeing more stories about reset problems with these connectors is not surprising.

I have been using Taran Tactical's Grand Master spring and connector kits in my race guns and have been very happy with them for production and SSP shooting.

Other than ghost, where i have never had a failure, I have had several other brands of connectors fail to reset, including factory Glock 5.5. I have many friends and acquaintances who use ghost connectors for work and competition.....with an estimated total of 60k rounds through them. Never a single failure. Between all of us, I've seen the following fail to reset: scherer, lone wolf, vanek, glock 5.5, glock minus, glock dot, zev tech, et al.

One failure does not a poor connector make. And, specifically, the connector to which you refer is not being reviewed in this thread. Further, nobody is asking anybody else for an endorsement of any product.

BufordTJustice
02-13-15, 15:44
I can say without hesitation that its not shooter induced. One trigger pull does not equal two shots unless its selectfire or malfunctioning. In this case it was malfunctioning.
I can say without hesitation that a doubling of fire without an additional trigger pull in a glock is a sear engagement issue. Failures to reset are a separate issue and can be connector related.

Voodoo_Man
02-13-15, 16:18
I can say without hesitation that a doubling of fire without an additional trigger pull in a glock is a sear engagement issue. Failures to reset are a separate issue and can be connector related.

As I stated, he removed the ghost part and put in an oem minus connector, never had an issue with it again.

BufordTJustice
02-13-15, 16:24
As I stated, he removed the ghost part and put in an oem minus connector, never had an issue with it again.
I don't know what else to tell you. I had this conversation with the head glock rep and trainer for the SE USA a few years back. Per his words, a connector cannot cause a sear engagement issue resulting in doubling. We had this within the context of discussing the operation of the G18. I'm done talking about this. We're going to have to leave it at that.

Voodoo_Man
02-13-15, 17:03
I don't know what else to tell you. I had this conversation with the head glock rep and trainer for the SE USA a few years back. Per his words, a connector cannot cause a sear engagement issue resulting in doubling. We had this within the context of discussing the operation of the G18. I'm done talking about this. We're going to have to leave it at that.

I do not, nor have I stated I have, doubt what you are saying.

I stated my experiences with a ghost product, I posted a link to my experience of a ghost product.

You are clearly getting upset over an easy exchange of information, relax.

T2C
02-13-15, 18:10

Which connector would you say gave you the lightest trigger pull, the Ghost or OEM? I would like to know for my own information.

The reason I am asking is that I have seen people with light match rifle triggers double, then hand the rifle to someone else who does not.

tonyxcom
02-14-15, 02:11
Other than ghost, where i have never had a failure, I have had several other brands of connectors fail to reset, including factory Glock 5.5. I have many friends and acquaintances who use ghost connectors for work and competition.....with an estimated total of 60k rounds through them. Never a single failure. Between all of us, I've seen the following fail to reset: scherer, lone wolf, vanek, glock 5.5, glock minus, glock dot, zev tech, et al.

And to the contrary, the only connectors I've seen fail to reset were Ghosts. And there are other posters in this exact thread that have experienced the same thing.

One failure does not a poor connector make. And, specifically, the connector to which you refer is not being reviewed in this thread. Further, nobody is asking anybody else for an endorsement of any product.

Yes this is clearly your personal Ghost circle jerk thread and you clearly aren't interested in hearing differing opinions, so jerk away.

BufordTJustice
02-14-15, 05:33
And to the contrary, the only connectors I've seen fail to reset were Ghosts. And there are other posters in this exact thread that have experienced the same thing.

Yes this is clearly your personal Ghost circle jerk thread and you clearly aren't interested in hearing differing opinions, so jerk away.
I didn't START this thread to hear others' opinions. I came here to offer my experience to others. I'm not wasting any more of my time here. Back to AR general/technical. Unsubscribed.

Voodoo_Man
02-14-15, 06:53
Can we keep it civil, please? We are just talking about parts and our experiences. No one is more right than the next guy.

Which connector would you say gave you the lightest trigger pull, the Ghost or OEM? I would like to know for my own information.

The reason I am asking is that I have seen people with light match rifle triggers double, then hand the rifle to someone else who does not.

Lightest is an oem g17L trigger group. It is noticeably lighter and dependable. The one I have came with a minus connector and whayever other work glock does to the g17l's.

T2C
02-14-15, 07:32
Can we keep it civil, please? We are just talking about parts and our experiences. No one is more right than the next guy.

Lightest is an oem g17L trigger group. It is noticeably lighter and dependable. The one I have came with a minus connector and whayever other work glock does to the g17l's.

Thank you.

DWood
02-14-15, 10:20
The Rocket needs to be properly fitted or it will not allow the trigger to reset. Ghost will send a free replacement if you bugger the installation.

mayonaise
02-14-15, 14:45
The Ghost connectors usually work as advertised. In my experience issues arrive when you use extra power trigger springs combined with some of the connectors (Rocket especially). Not all extra power springs are alike. As with anything some springs are stronger than others. Sometimes the extra power spring can prevent the trigger from traveling forward enough to reset the trigger and trigger safety. It's always best to have several springs to choose from to find the right combination.

Kevin P
02-14-15, 15:49
Quick question on ghost connectors. Do issues arise when just the connector is installed or when aftermarket springs are installed at the same time?

Also do these issue show up immediately or do they happen at random round counts?

26 Inf
02-14-15, 22:03
I always install one component at a time and test feel and reliability. That way I can go back one step. I polish engagement surfaces - connector/trigger bar; firing pin safety hump/firing pin safety; trigger bar cruciform/striker, then if I want to do more I start with the trigger spring - other folks may want to do others first, that is just me; normally you shouldn't have problems as long as you have 1/2 to 2/3 (Glock says 2/3) engagement between the striker and the cruciform tab. You throw on a new connector, a new trigger spring, and a new striker spring, take it to the range and it doesn't work, you've got a lot of diagnosing to do. If you do it one at a time it is easy to see 1) which gives you the most bang for your buck; 2) where the problems started. JMO

Another thing I do is have several different complete firing assemblies to put into the weapon - 3 pins out, pull old put in new.

GTF425
02-14-15, 22:32
Well, the Edge failed to reset again today in my Gen 3 17, all factory everything except for the temporary Edge install. It happened on the 38th round.

Mine is a sample of one. I've just gone back to the OEM in all of my pistols.

punkey71
02-15-15, 13:14
Serious question -

What is everyone doing with these connectors that are failing them?

Contacting Ghost? Selling them? Trash or parts bin?

Voodoo_Man
02-15-15, 14:55
Serious question -

What is everyone doing with these connectors that are failing them?

Contacting Ghost? Selling them? Trash or parts bin?

I returned mine

punkey71
02-15-15, 19:27
I returned mine

Did they say anything about it?