PDA

View Full Version : Steyr SSG-69 Discontinued

Barry in IN
02-12-15, 09:47
It's been the rumor for years now, but I it's now true per the following email I got from Steyr USA last night:

The World Famous Steyr Sniper Rifle to be Retired in 2015

The World Famous SSG 69 is set to be retired after 40 outstanding years in service, however we are pleased to announce that one of our distributors decided to buy 1,000 units before the production line stopped. If you are interested in one of the last of these iconic pieces, you can contact CDNN Sports in Abilene, Texas at 1-800-588-9500 or online at

http://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms.html?brand=1253.

The last 1,000 units were produced in 12 different models PII and PIIK (some are the first ever with threaded barrels). They will be offered in single trigger, double trigger, green and black stocks. They each come standard with a factory mounted 20 MOA picatinny rail.

Also, do not fear if you are the current owner of an SSG model, SAI will still both warrant and perform factory service on all models and have spare parts available.

Eurodriver
02-12-15, 10:14
You've gotta be kidding me. $1500 for an SSG 69 w/ 20" Threaded barrel?

I wish I knew this a few weeks ago.

PGT
02-12-15, 10:29
I've been very close to ordering an OD green Kompact-Threaded for a few weeks now. Its a tremendous price. I hesitate only because I've already got a Scout and don't really *need* another 308 bolt gun.

Barry in IN
02-12-15, 12:28
Yeah, when I heard the end was near a couple of years ago, I ordered a standard black PII for $1500. That was the best deal I could find (in stock) aside from some 16" PIVs which I didn't want. That was the choice- black 25.6" or black 16".

I really wanted the 20" PIIK at the time, and would have definitely preferred a green stock and a pic rail and threaded muzzle. The scarcity of choices convinced me they had already been discontinued and I was seeing all that was left. I still think that was the case, until maybe Steyr scraped a few more together. It looks like its now turned into the best time to buy one, with the best selection ever. I may end up with a 20" yet.

EricTheRed
02-12-15, 13:11
My credit card hates you. :p

SeriousStudent
02-12-15, 22:43
I don't really need another .308 bolt gun, but......

Thanks for the heads up, Barry.

Ed L.
02-14-15, 19:39
I have an old Green stocked one that I bought used. It has a 26" barrel, double set triggers and is equipped with a Leupold 3-10 power scope. I have not fired the thing in at least 12 years.

taliv
02-14-15, 20:56
i have no idea why, but i kinda want one of those. i haven't owned a 308win bolt gun in... i can't remember how long. 9 years maybe?

billybronco
02-15-15, 21:43
Dude. You're KILLING me here.

I just bought one. Dammit.

Now I need to know thread pitch and hope that it matches SilencerCo's. It's nowhere to be found.

Barry in IN
02-17-15, 11:49
i have no idea why, but i kinda want one of those.

Because they are odd. And they still shoot well.

I admit a lot of the reason I like them is because they were one of the "in" rifles to have when I was in Jr. High. A lot of the design seems counterintuitive to a precision rifle, and often simply being different is an attraction to some.
Whatever; I do like them. I think it's a rugged action that operates smoothly, it shoots well, and the stock always fit me well. They always seemed expensive, but if you take most Remington 700 models then add DM bottom metal and a mag, a large bolt knob, and a pic rail, you are probably beyond SSG money pretty quick.

The biggest negatives to the SSG-69 is staying with 1960s materials and scope mounting. The plastic used in the stock and trigger guard can crack easier than newer materials. Their dovetail ring system is OK, but offers limited scope mounting options. I added Steyr's pic rail, strengthened the stock, and bought a couple of spare trigger guards. Now the pic rail is standard on these last ones, so that's fixed. CDI made a run of bottom metal (that's actually metal), and may or may not make more, if that's desired. I think for most people, one or two spare trigger guards at around $70 should suffice to keep them going from now on.
McMillan makes stocks for them if somebody wants to change that.

billybronco
02-18-15, 19:31
Nobody knows the thread pitch? It's nowhere online.

m4fun
02-18-15, 19:41
I'll let you know when I get mine ;)

billybronco
02-19-15, 20:22
Dammit!!! Ok. Well. Picking mine up tomorrow. Yeah Son!

EricTheRed
02-20-15, 00:48
Please do post up the thread pitch.

billybronco
02-22-15, 19:06
Ok. Well. Forgot to check manual. Not in my possession any longer. Anybody?

MadAngler1
02-22-15, 20:30
What's the barrel twist on these rifles?

Is the Picatinny rail integral with the receiver or is it screwed on?

How does the magazine work? Is it detachable box?

What's the point of the double trigger models? Why would I not just want a 20" version with a threaded barrel and a single trigger?

McMillan does indeed make a replacement stock: https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/tactical-stocks-ssg-69/ . This would make adding accessories quite easy.

Looks like a good deal.

Barry in IN
02-23-15, 07:43
What's the barrel twist on these rifles?

Is the Picatinny rail integral with the receiver or is it screwed on?

How does the magazine work? Is it detachable box?

What's the point of the double trigger models? Why would I not just want a 20" version with a threaded barrel and a single trigger?

McMillan does indeed make a replacement stock: https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/tactical-stocks-ssg-69/ . This would make adding accessories quite easy.

Looks like a good deal.

Up until now, the twist has been 1-12" except for P-IV models which are/were 1-10". I would assume these last ones would be the same 1-12". Just FYI: My 1-12" SSG shoots 185 Berger Juggernauts just fine.

I don't know how the Pic rail attaches on these, but in the past Steyr has offered at least two rails I know of. The most recent slides on the integral dovetails (tightly, as in needs brass hammer to slide that last little bit) then secured with set screws. Previously, they sold a similar one that requires drilling and tapping for the lock screws. I have no idea what these last ones use. To my surprise, the newer type has stayed solid on mine.

The magazine is detachable. It's a five-round rotary (picture a 10/22). Additional ones are around $70 from Steyr USA. Ten-round mags used to be made but not in a while and bring well over $200.

The double trigger is a set trigger. Pull the rear trigger to reduce the pull weight of the front tigger to a few ounces. Or use the front trigger normally. A lot of people seem to want double set triggers, but I prefer the single- It's simpler, it allows more room in the trigger guard, and it's a good trigger anyway.

EricTheRed
04-23-15, 17:08
Anybody ever figure out the thread pitch on these?

My call to Steyr has not yet been returned by the guy who said PII's were never threaded and he'd have to check on it. Local hardware store did not have bolts in the correct size to compare with the thread protector. Since I don't know a lot about comparative thread sizes, and this may be a dumb question especially to those who know, what's the chances you could mix up say 18x1.5 or 18x1 with 5/8x24?

The reason I ask is that I have a 5/8x24 MB I haven't installed on another rifle yet and it goes about half way on to my threaded PIIK with no resistance and good connection. About half way I get some small resistance. After then removing no damage or wear is visible to either thread set, however I really don't want to mess either the brake or especially the barrel threading up by going any further without being certain. FWIW the thread protector itself was on there super tight, needed a rag wrapped pliers to get off.

steyrman13
04-23-15, 21:55
Anybody ever figure out the thread pitch on these?

My call to Steyr has not yet been returned by the guy who said PII's were never threaded and he'd have to check on it. Local hardware store did not have bolts in the correct size to compare with the thread protector. Since I don't know a lot about comparative thread sizes, and this may be a dumb question especially to those who know, what's the chances you could mix up say 18x1.5 or 18x1 with 5/8x24?

The reason I ask is that I have a 5/8x24 MB I haven't installed on another rifle yet and it goes about half way on to my threaded PIIK with no resistance and good connection. About half way I get some small resistance. After then removing no damage or wear is visible to either thread set, however I really don't want to mess either the brake or especially the barrel threading up by going any further without being certain. FWIW the thread protector itself was on there super tight, needed a rag wrapped pliers to get off.

I'll see if I can't find out tomorrow for you. Send me a pm tomorrow to remind me. Also yours is .308 correct?

EricTheRed
04-24-15, 19:28
So, yes, for those wondering, the new ones from CDNN are 5/8x24. Hat tip to steyrman13 for confirmation

VooDoo6Actual
04-26-15, 11:19
They are superb out of the box rifles. It's not unusual to see one print .5 MOA or under all day long w/ 168 / 175 et al.
The factory Rifle Sight's & double set trigger is the Cat's meow for a hunting, bug out as it's light, accurate, ergonomic & a benign looking laser ray accurate missile launch tube. One of the all time "Ne Plus Ultra" Scout Rifle's. The problem was the price point compared to a Remington 700's. That was a function of the EU vs. USD however not the product itself. Occasionally you can find a SSG 69 w/ Hensoldt 10x ZF89 in 800 or 500 yd. Ret. Superb setup.

Firefly
04-18-16, 11:42
If a person could only have one for the year.....

Would one of these be worth it or just fix up a Remington?

Any input appreciated. Not a vs question, both are capable rifles, but if you wanted to have a handy bolt gun and were on a self-imposed gun allowance...

Would it be worth it?

m4fun
04-18-16, 13:45
Sounds like you need to bring this up with your gun-buyer self help group...

So if cost is not the issue, nor sending away to a specialty shop, or you just like the build/tinkering more than shooting - IMHO I have gotten great accuracy out of my two ;) - better than the Remmy I used to have or my buddies tricked out one.

I spend more time reloading ;)

Firefly
04-18-16, 17:33
When you speak of sending off to specialty shop or building/tinkering, are you referring to Steyr or Remington?

I'm wanting to keep stock if I go Steyr.

Thanksfor any help/additional input.

I have no knowledge base on them other than people saying they are good but a few people saying they would sooner go back to Remington.

I know what can be done to Remington but would prefer something just straight out the box for now.

Mjolnir
04-18-16, 21:36
They are superb out of the box .

It's not unusual to see one print .5 MOA or under all day long w/ 168 / 175 et al.

... it's light, accurate, ergonomic & a benign looking laser ray accurate missile launch tube. Occasionally you can find a SSG 69 w/ Hensoldt 10x ZF89 in 800 or 500 yd. Ret. Superb setup.

I can attest to that. Had a 24" with Hensoldt 800m graduated scope and sold it to a friend for the PIIK with the 500m graduated scope.

Accuracy with the 24" with M852 was around 0.6 to 0.75 MOA.

The PIIK is a freaking laser. It NEVER shot above 0.6 MOA. Never. It averaged just under 0.5 MOA with many groups hovering around 0.25 MOA.

The thought of the poor materials for the magazine, trigger guard and stock left me wanting and I sold the PIIK for an FN SPRA3G.

If Steyr had improved the materials I would still have that fine rifle.

Mjolnir
04-18-16, 21:39
When you speak of sending off to specialty shop or building/tinkering, are you referring to Steyr or Remington?

I'm wanting to keep stock if I go Steyr.

Thanksfor any help/additional input.

I have no knowledge base on them other than people saying they are good but a few people saying they would sooner go back to Remington.

I know what can be done to Remington but would prefer something just straight out the box for now.

Look at FN. The downside is that they are heavy rifles compared to the STEYR but they shoot well. There is a company that actually glass beds the rifles and sells them as only the A3G comes properly bedded.

I think I'd go with the 20" fluted & threaded version of their rifle: Te A5M.

Firefly
04-18-16, 23:42
I appreciate the heads up on the A3G.
Something I'd look into later.

But this year it really is kind of a choice between the Steyr and Remington.

Looking hard at the full length long barrel. Just an honest bolt action but am fence sitting currently.

Also how are the materials disfavorable?

Because for the money I could just pop a PSS or LTR in a magpul stock but sorta wanted something different.

Thanks for any more input

zb39
05-22-16, 12:31
I got 2. Both are PIIK's with double set triggers and threaded. One black and 1 green. I'm shooting the green one with a Silencerco harvester on it. I will hold the black one NIB in reserve.
Took a nice whitetail this last fall with the OD gun.

Mjolnir
12-26-16, 12:25
I appreciate the heads up on the A3G.
Something I'd look into later.

But this year it really is kind of a choice between the Steyr and Remington.

Looking hard at the full length long barrel. Just an honest bolt action but am fence sitting currently.

Also how are the materials disfavorable?

Because for the money I could just pop a PSS or LTR in a magpul stock but sorta wanted something different.

Thanks for any more input

Materials are substandard.

The stock will eventually crack from applying sling pressure.

The trigger guard/floorplate isn't nearly as durable as I'd like it to be.

The magazine material is laughable.

Now that's comparing 1969 materials to 1999 materials. Today, I'd have an FN SPR, have it bedded and call it good.

I recall that US military testing found that it did not outshoot the Rem 700 rifle that was fielded against it at 800 to 1,000 yards. 13" vs 16" based upon the article I had years ago - not that any of that matters.

I just wish they upgraded the materials to modern polymers. If they had I would own Steyrs for all of the positive statements made in this thread - laser shooters, lightweight, innocuous aesthetics compared to, say an Accuracy International, FN SPR or M40 clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk