PDA

View Full Version : QD or not QD? New guy needs advice.

Hemi45
02-12-15, 21:06
I'm new to optics but I've recently picked up two, a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 and an Aimpoint PRO. I have a Colt 6920 Magpul package with fold down rear and fixed front post. This is my first AR and though there are endless ways to trick these dang things out, I want to keep it stock so that limits me to the small rail atop the receiver.

I *think* I'd enjoy the ease of QD, allowing me to quickly/easily swap one for the other while out shooting. If it matters this gun doesn't have a specific purpose - just my first AR and one I'm looking forward to learning on. Also, my local range is only 100 yards so I was thinking to zero the scope at 100 and the red dot at 50.

Any thoughts on a mounting system to go with or is QD much ado about nothing and I'm better off with a fixed mount for each?

Being new to all this, I appreciate any practical advice. It's also entirely possible I've overlooked something very obvious so please set me straight if that's the case.

Many thanks!

4thPointOfContact
02-12-15, 21:19
With a quality mount, return-to-zero is pretty much guaranteed. Less expensive mounts will have a bit more slop in them, but aren't necessarily unusable.
I have a simple Burris MTAC/P.E.P.R. (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61xylzqvJCL.jpg) combo on my AR, with QD PEPR. I don't intend to change it out, but if it goes Tango Uniform, I want to be able to toss it without requiring any tools (anticipating that if i NEED to toss it, I need to do so right-fricking-now).

Kain
02-12-15, 21:45
Search around and I think you will find other threads discussing this.

Anyway, it will come down to the mission of the rifle and what you are looking to do. Combat scenario I want QD if I don't have the option for offset irons since, even if I am running a RDS, if my optic goes down(battery failing, optic fogging, glass breaking, mud cakes glass or other) I want to remove it fast so I can get back in the fight. Some will argue that with a RDS shooting both eyes open you should be able to super impose the target with your non dominate eye and still make hits, but I still want the option. With off set irons I may not see a QD as necessitous to myself and this thought process is really just based on what I foresee as my possible needs. And make no mistake, there are a number of non-QD mounts out there that are solid no nonsense rugged mounts. Hell even some of the cheaper non-QD mounts are pretty solid as well, which is nice if you are just mounting a beater optic to a rifle and want something fast and cheap that works. QD, generally, is going to cost you more money.

Now for playing musical optics, QD is nice, but not something I feel is a real benefit since swapping between rifles you are working with different zeroes and generally, while combat effective, there is some zero shift even removing from the same rifle and remounting it in my experience. While not much with some mounts it is still there to some degree and my go to optics in QD mounts do live on their respective rifles. Also, don't knock standard thumb screw mounts for ease or removal or RTZ since they can go back not all that much worse than a QD mount if you torque them back down to where they were when zeroed. Also, depending on the QD mount some of them can be a bit, how should I say this, tight when mounted depending on some variables and create a situation where you need a good amount of leverage to get the lever to move.

All that said, I would say figure out what you are wanting out of the mount. Nothing wrong with deciding you want a solid QD mount, I know that I did when I bought Larue mounts for my Aimpoint and ACOG. Granted the Aimpoint was because I wanted a new QD mount to replace the A.R.M.S. mount I had, and because I got tired of smacking my knuckles on the factory ACOG mount. That said, Don't feel that you need to have a QD mount to have a high quality mount because again there are non-QD mounts out there that work just fine. The biggest point is buy something that is quality and meets your needs.

sevenhelmet
02-12-15, 21:45
I really like QD lever mounts. I have a GG&G lever-lock mount on my primary carbine, and it seems maintain alignment even after being removed and re-installed, so I get to practice with my irons without having to re-zero the optic every time. Worth the extra expense, in my opinion.

MrSunday
02-12-15, 23:19
I like qd optics mounts for everything but my bolt guns. Bobro makes my personal favorite fallowed by Larue.

Hemi45
02-12-15, 23:24
Thank you for the helpful replies thus far!

*ETA*

Kain, is this an example of what you're referring to when you say:

Also, don't knock standard thumb screw mounts for ease or removal or RTZ since they can go back not all that much worse than a QD mount if you torque them back down to where they were when zeroed.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-mark-2-ims-ar-riflescope-rings-mount.html

The description speaks to a "quick release function for fast removal" ... if it works as advertised this could be a winner!

l8apex
02-13-15, 01:07
I may be in minority for not preferring QD. Offset sight were a blessing as it made the decision to stay with a fixed mount easier. I've never been a fan of transferring optics to different rifles nor the added weight that QD mounts bring. Running Aero Precision mounts for my optics. YMMV.

Benito
02-13-15, 01:31
I have my optics sitting in quality QD mounts that would probably return pretty close to zero if removed, but I do not remove them. With the spread of offset irons (which I use), I probably have zero need for QD.

Swapping an optic between guns seems like asking for trouble, in my eyes. Even assuming a perfect return to zero, you'd have to keep track of multiple zeros, not to mention dick around with zero stops (if you have them).

GH41
02-13-15, 14:33
I'm new to optics but I've recently picked up two, a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 and an Aimpoint PRO. I have a Colt 6920 Magpul package with fold down rear and fixed front post. This is my first AR and though there are endless ways to trick these dang things out, I want to keep it stock so that limits me to the small rail atop the receiver.

I *think* I'd enjoy the ease of QD, allowing me to quickly/easily swap one for the other while out shooting. If it matters this gun doesn't have a specific purpose - just my first AR and one I'm looking forward to learning on. Also, my local range is only 100 yards so I was thinking to zero the scope at 100 and the red dot at 50.

Any thoughts on a mounting system to go with or is QD much ado about nothing and I'm better off with a fixed mount for each?

Being new to all this, I appreciate any practical advice. It's also entirely possible I've overlooked something very obvious so please set me straight if that's the case.

Many thanks!

I don't understand why you would put a 3X9 scope a rifle with a FSP and without a free floating rail. Especially shooting at 100 yards or less. Putting a higher powered scope on a 6920 isn't going to make it a target gun. The PRO is a better match for your 6920. Save the big scope for your next rifle. I promise there will be a next rifle!

Hemi45
02-13-15, 15:12
If it makes a difference, the scope is a 1.5x4 power. I bought both to become familiar with both but I agree the PRO is more practical inside 100 yards. This is my 'learning' rifle and platform to practice with red dots and scopes. As for a next rifle ... I have no doubts! ;)

GH41
02-13-15, 18:43
If it makes a difference, the scope is a 1.5x4 power. I bought both to become familiar with both but I agree the PRO is more practical inside 100 yards. This is my 'learning' rifle and platform to practice with red dots and scopes. As for a next rifle ... I have no doubts! ;)

My mistake but it doesn't make much difference in my opinion. The 6920 has a FSB. It might not bother you seeing it in your FOV but you cannot see through it. The 6920 does not have a floating hand guard so bench resting the hand guard will degrade accuracy. The trigger more than likely sucks for shooting groups. Shoot it for what it is... A quality service grade weapon! Don't piss away $$$ trying to make it anything more than that.

3 AE
02-14-15, 21:12

Many thanks!

I believe you want to determine what your requirements are for your AR and what your budget will allow. My primary requirements for my ARs are that they be set up as fighting rifles for home defense. My 6920 is equipped with an Aimpoint H-1 using a Bobro Micro 1/3 Co-Witness QD mount. My BCM Lightweight Carbine is equipped with an Aimpoint PRO using a Bobro Cantilever 1/3 Co-Witness QD mount. Once I decide what magnified optic I'll use on my Noveske, it too will sport a Bobro 30mm QD mount. My decision to use Bobro is based on their ability to be quickly removed from the rifle should the optics be disabled due to shattering/obstruction of the lens. That their ability to return to zero with repeatability is an added bonus along with their reputation of quality construction.

I based my set up for a fighting rifle on Larry Vicker's recommendations. I based my decision to use QD mounts on my optics on Paul Howe's recommendation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mKD-CmX4zQ

http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/published/thebattlefieldzerofullpictures.pdf Scroll down to "Sights" paragraph.

Their years of combat and training experience is second to none and being a "newb" myself, I decided to simply go with their "flow"! I have had no regrets with their advice and have saved a lot of money in the long run.

l8apex
02-14-15, 23:11
IMHO QD mounts seem to have more emphasis on utility, meaning moving the optic to a different rifle. I have yet heard of a AAR that involves someone ditching their optic to go to irons. Of course that's just my small sample of my experience. But I'd seriously like to hear data points on the topic. Maybe a different thread. YMMV.

Hemi45
02-15-15, 01:06
Thanks folks. I can give a partial update. The Leuopld is going in a fixed mount on the Colt CR6720 I just ordered. I'll likely go QD for the Aimpoint PRO on my 6920.

Black rifles ... it has begun ;)