PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a set of beginner golf clubs and gear.

MBtech
02-15-15, 03:07
Gents, I'm sure there are some golfers here so I figured I'd give it a shot on asking for some advice. I'm looking into taking up golf, I never have played seriously, not even one 9 or 18 hole game for that matter, just went to the driving range to smack a bucket of balls with a few friends 20 years ago in highschool for a Friday night "something to do" thing. I have been invited by co-workers to play several times lately but I don't know where to begin. What would be your simplest recommendation on getting setup to learn without spending crazy $ right off the bat as a newB?

Basically I'm looking for advice on picking out some gear to get started at minimum cost on a budget but not cheap junk either for now to get in the game as a beginner.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

rjacobs
02-15-15, 10:23
Hit some of the places that sell used sets. You can often find really good deals on 1-2 year old stuff that is in great shape. Even golf courses and driving ranges typically have used sets for good prices. I know one course I play at does consignment. Another option(although I dont know if the time of year is right) is to find places like Golf Galaxy or what not that sell last years stuff at a big discount(I think this is typically in the fall although dead of winter might be good too).

My first set was used and I got many years out of it. I still actually use the irons(6-9+PW), but have upgraded my driver, putter and bought some Adams fairway hybrid's in 3-5. I end up using the hybrids far more than anything else, including my driver because I can hit the snot out of them and hit them straight. I'm not good with a driver no matter how much I practice with it. Flat faced clubs are my nemesis. Put just a little angle on them(like my 3 hybrid) and I can whack the shit out of it.

Also I recommend taking a few lessons. You can typically get setup for 6-8 lessons for a reasonable price and typically get unlimited free range time when you are taking lessons. I dont play enough anymore to be "good" so in the spring I typically take 4 lessons to knock the rust off and get some good pointers. Also playing with people who know you suck and are willing to help you(and also understand HOW to teach you) can pay dividends.

Oh and make sure you drink plenty of beer and smoke cigars. Leads to a more fun game. I recommend at least 18 beers(its no coincidence beer is sold in 18 packs) and 2 cigars, 1 for the front and 1 for the back.

Onyx Z
02-15-15, 12:23
Check out the big golf forum: www.golfwrx.com

They should be able to point you in the right direction and help you spend all of your money.

Averageman
02-15-15, 14:40
My Dad worked at Bell Labs. When he was teaching me to play Golf he said "This is a lesson in business."
He swore he got more work approved and things smoothed over on the course than at the office. It sounds now more like Mad Men than engineering with slide rulers and pencils.
I would look in to some good, but used clubs or avoid the whole thing if you've had shoulder issues from lifting heavy. I enjoyed it but I certainly can't do it anymore.
While in the Military, I have to admit; a bit of business can be conducted.

MBtech
02-15-15, 15:16
A used set of clubs sounds like a good way to go to get started, there are a couple of sporting goods stores I know of locally that sell/trade used items. I for sure will need guidance on selecting options to fit me. Some lessons will be a must. Buying used what kind of signs to look for if they have been taken care of or used and abused?

MountainRaven
02-15-15, 15:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

MBtech
02-15-15, 15:29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

You Sir, Just made my day with that laugh! That was great! :laugh:

Plumber237
02-16-15, 05:47
Something that can really help, if you have somewhere near you that does it, is to try out different clubs at a golf store. Many now have a few clubs from each of the current big name brands that you can try out on their virtual driving range. Even though it's basically a giant video game, I found that the distance and straightness of shots were pretty close to real world. I did that at the local Golf Galaxy before I bought my current set and the improved distance that the video game was telling me turned out to be dead on when I got them out in the real world. I'll echo what others said about lessons as well, I was fortunate to have golfing parents who took me out when I was really little...and then played throughout high school. It's a frustrating sport, but a great one...

MBtech
02-16-15, 06:05
Excellent thanks, I just did a search and there is a Golf Galaxy real close to where I work. I'll be checking it out for sure, maybe they can point me in a direction for some lessons as well.

ryr8828
02-16-15, 06:23
Gents, I'm sure there are some golfers here so I figured I'd give it a shot on asking for some advice. I'm looking into taking up golf, I never have played seriously, not even one 9 or 18 hole game for that matter, just went to the driving range to smack a bucket of balls with a few friends 20 years ago in highschool for a Friday night "something to do" thing. I have been invited by co-workers to play several times lately but I don't know where to begin. What would be your simplest recommendation on getting setup to learn without spending crazy $ right off the bat as a newB?

Basically I'm looking for advice on picking out some gear to get started at minimum cost on a budget but not cheap junk either for now to get in the game as a beginner.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Shame you don't live close, I'd sell or loan you a set. I have 2 extra iron sets. 3 extra if I count the ones my son left here and hasn't used in 3 years. How do I know you don't live close? The nearest golf galaxy store to me is 2 hours away in St. Louis.
There's usually lots of used golf stuff on craigslist.

If you decide you're serious about the game and not just a once every 6 months type of hacker, go see a pro and get a lesson. It's the best $75 you could spend.
Next thing you know you'll be looking at a $1200 set of custom fit pings and a $400 driver so you can get that extra 10 yards.

MBtech
02-16-15, 10:39
Next thing you know you'll be looking at a $1200 set of custom fit pings and a $400 driver so you can get that extra 10 yards.

And a more comfortable couch to sleep on :)

Does anyone have experience with Callaway? These look like a decent beginner set in my price range.

http://www.amazon.com/Callaway-Strata-Ultimate-Complete-18-Piece/dp/B00IKP9WV0

cbx
02-16-15, 11:23
Just go get a set clubs and a bag on sale from big 5 or something. Golf is a drinking sport to do with friends, and conduct business with people who like to drink, smoke cigars, and bet a lot.

Go buy the recycled balls at a place like Fred Meyer or Wal-Mart. They are going to get lost anyway.

Otherwise it's about as fun as paint dying. You have to enjoy the people your doing it with too, otherwise you'll want to go drown yourself in a water feature on the course. Also go to a course that isn't full of people full of themselves.

Unless your a Johnny uppercrust kind of guy, then you'll dig the chit out of member courses.

ryr8828
02-16-15, 12:50
Just go get a set clubs and a bag on sale from big 5 or something. Golf is a drinking sport to do with friends, and conduct business with people who like to drink, smoke cigars, and bet a lot.

Go buy the recycled balls at a place like Fred Meyer or Wal-Mart. They are going to get lost anyway.

Otherwise it's about as fun as paint dying. You have to enjoy the people your doing it with too, otherwise you'll want to go drown yourself in a water feature on the course. Also go to a course that isn't full of people full of themselves.

Unless your a Johnny uppercrust kind of guy, then you'll dig the chit out of member courses.

Just like the guy who said that "anymore taking a dump feels about as good as screwing" I think you're doing it wrong.

cbx
02-16-15, 23:32
Just like the guy who said that "anymore taking a dump feels about as good as screwing" I think you're doing it wrong.
Lmao.... You got me...You caught the tater..

I can't top that. All i know is that I know pile of people who's clubs sit and gather dust. Guns and ammo, that never gets old, like ever, unless you hate puppies, beer, pretty girls, Merica. Things line that.

1k for golf stuff. Or $880 for gun stuff and $120 for golf..... I'd say that is an easy answer.....

But I'm that guy, the one who treats golf like a drinking game.

MBtech
02-16-15, 23:53
1k for golf stuff. Or $880 for gun stuff and $120 for golf..... I'd say that is an easy answer....

That wasn't the question, not a matter of budget between the two.

ryr8828
02-17-15, 06:40
And a more comfortable couch to sleep on :)

Does anyone have experience with Callaway? These look like a decent beginner set in my price range.

http://www.amazon.com/Callaway-Strata-Ultimate-Complete-18-Piece/dp/B00IKP9WV0

I've had Callaways but never heard of or seen that particular model.

cbx
02-17-15, 09:59
That wasn't the question, not a matter of budget between the two.
I know that wasn't your question. I'm just suggesting to try an entry level set before you drop big coin on good clubs.

I say this as a guy that golfs a fair amount.

MBtech
02-17-15, 11:02
I know that wasn't your question. I'm just suggesting to try an entry level set before you drop big coin on good clubs.

I say this as a guy that golfs a fair amount.

Absolutely, that's why I'll start out used or cheap. Will probably spend more on the first few lessons than the clubs.

I agree on the drinking beer but I probably should learn some basics first, give myself a fighting chance. Then add the beer :)

cbx
02-17-15, 11:27
Absolutely, that's why I'll start out used or cheap. Will probably spend more on the first few lessons than the clubs.

I agree on the drinking beer but I probably should learn some basics first, give myself a fighting chance. Then add the beer :)
My game greatly improves in the 3-5 beer range. It's a bit of a bell curve if you can imagine it that way. It's makes your loose and relaxed. Once I hit the downside of the curve (sixth beer), my game goes all to hell in very short order.

Clubs are like weapons. Mo better equal mo money. The thing is is that it is like comparing a $1000 Colt rifle to a $4,000 pick your brand rifle. Yeah sure the 4000 or rifle is probably better, how much better??? That part gets hard to define. Both still go bang. Skill level of most may not be able to tell the difference between the two.

Onyx Z
02-17-15, 11:51
A golf club is a golf club for the most part. You begin to notice the differences (and they begin to matter) when you get more experienced. I'd bet 95% of the golfers out there can use a cheap, used set of golf clubs and with enough practice/experience become a scratch golfer.

The difference between a more expensive set of golf clubs vs. a cheap set is mainly in the way they're designed to help a novice. It's still the Indian, not the arrow though.

FYI, the big box stores usually manipulate the computer to show one club 'better' than another. I was bored one day and went to Golf Galaxy to check out the years new clubs. I tried an older, used driver next to a new Nike driver. I out-drove the used driver by 50 yds with the Nike... there is no way one driver is THAT much longer. The USGA limits the driver specs, so they are all pretty much the same in regards to distance. It just comes down to feel, the way it looks at address, forgiveness, the shaft, etc.

As always, more $ does not equal better. Brandt Snedeker won Pebble Beach last weekend with a $20 driver... In golf, it truly is the Indian, not the arrow.