PDA

View Full Version : Will Glock phase out gen 3?

rushca01
02-15-15, 18:23
Just a curious question. Will glock eventually phase out the gen 3? How long were the gen 2s made after the gen 3 came out?

Kain
02-15-15, 18:35
Since Glock is a business I imagine that it is going to come down to how long Gen 3 Glocks continue to sell well and basic demand.

saints75
02-15-15, 22:01
One day they will stop selling the gen 3. A lot o people like the gen 3. Also the gen 4 cannot be sold in California. Don't get me started on that one. I do not know if California is the only state. I think once the gen 4 can be sold in every state and country, the gen 3 will be phased out. Gen 4 domination LOL

Elkhound
02-16-15, 06:18
I prefer the Gen 3. I hope they keep offering it as an alternative. I agree Kain, as long as it sells well enough to justify its production, they will (should) keep producing it.

Slater
02-16-15, 09:45
Wonder what a Gen 5 would look like?

Abraham
02-16-15, 09:51
Why are Gen 4's not sold in California?

I don't get it...?

KenB987
02-16-15, 10:17
Why are Gen 4's not sold in California?

I don't get it...?

Nobody does, it's the CA roster of 'not unsafe handguns' it is now impossible to get any new gun onto the roster, and the whole system is being challenged it court. Hopefully it will get thrown out (it looks promising to me) and we in CA will be able to buy guns that have been designed less then a decade ago.

KTR03
02-16-15, 11:46

Probably downward ejection that hits you right in the junk.

Firefly
02-16-15, 12:00
Interesting.
Speaking personally, the only thing I like about the Gen 3 and older is the Tenifer finish.

Despite some initial teething problems, I actually prefer the Gen 4. Especially in .45.
The Gen 3 mag release is a painful peg jutting out of the frame.
The plastic guide rod, while simple, does require replacing beyond a high round count. Like any other spring and rod.
The grip texture, for me, is absolutely just perfect. The older ones were too slippy. The RTF felt like shaking hands with sandpaper. People were putting on hogues or stippling the frame.

The mag release is wider and feels natural.

There was a learning curve for me, but I don't see myself going back.

If I were asked what would be good for a Gen 5 Glock it would be:
-Ambi mag release per HK or Walther
-Ambi Slide release
-Slanted cocking serrations
-A more reformed trigger guard that won't blister your middle finger after repeated use
-Less stinginess with factory 3.5 triggers
-A way to make a Vertec-ish grip
-Factory offerings of frames without forced finger grooves by request.

Then it would really be something else.

TomMcC
02-16-15, 14:45
Nobody does, it's the CA roster of 'not unsafe handguns' it is now impossible to get any new gun onto the roster, and the whole system is being challenged it court. Hopefully it will get thrown out (it looks promising to me) and we in CA will be able to buy guns that have been designed less then a decade ago.

If I'm not mistaken, any new pistol (meaning any existing pistol that is changed according to the draconian Ca law, and this can be a small change) is required to have microstamping plus it must be retested for safety which I've heard costs something like $30 grand. So we here in Commiefornia get the Gen 3. Many, many pistols have fallen off the roster, like the M & P, all Rugers etc.

223to45
02-16-15, 14:47
Interesting.
Speaking personally, the only thing I like about the Gen 3 and older is the Tenifer finish.

Are you saying the Gen4's don't have it?

BTW it is not a finish.

Firefly
02-16-15, 15:10
Are you saying the Gen4's don't have it?

BTW it is not a finish.

You must forgive my lazy phrasing.
True, Tenifer isn't a 'finish' but it is a treatment. I was told 'no, Gen 4 doesn't have it.'

Last Glock Armorer school I went to a few years back stated that the new finish was nitride and "just as good". I have a $10,000 dollar Gen 2 Glock(priced at what it would cost for me to part with it) that is a bit past 20 years old. It still has that slick black color to it. Same with an older Gen 3 21.

The newer Glocks simply have this dull complexion. I'm sure the finish is rugged as I don't mind my Glock getting wet or dirty. But I've seen some cocky things done with older Glocks. Especially with salt water that I don't know if I would do with nitriding. But then again, I am no expert on nitriding or how far it ranges on the scale in terms of individual quality.

I'd just like that slick black finish back on a Gen 4.

Two steps forward, one step back

Kain
02-16-15, 15:23
True, Tenifer isn't a 'finish' but it is a treatment. I was told 'no, Gen 4 doesn't have it.'

Last Glock Armorer school I went to a few years back stated that the new finish was nitride and "just as good". I have a $10,000 dollar Gen 2 Glock(priced at what it would cost for me to part with it) that is a bit past 20 years old. It still has that slick black color to it. Same with an older Gen 3 21.

The newer Glocks simply have this dull complexion. I'm sure the finish is rugged as I don't mind my Glock getting wet or dirty. But I've seen some cocky things done with older Glocks. Especially with salt water that I don't know if I would do with nitriding. But then again, I am no expert on nitriding or how far it ranges on the scale in terms of individual quality.

From my understanding with glock stopped using tennifer or stopped the treatment, however you wish to phrase it, due to something with the treatment being rather nasty to those applying it or having negative environmental effects, or some such. So they stopped it and went to their current finishing process because it was safer.

themonk
02-16-15, 16:35
The byproduct of the tennifer treatment is cyanide gas of which the EPA is not all that happy about. Since GLOCK has moved its production to the US they needed to find another solution.

I have gen 2 & 3 GLOCKs along with gen 4, the finish wears through on all of them if you use them enough.

Slater
02-16-15, 16:45
Interesting that Walther advertises it's PPQ and PPX (and others?) as having a Tenifer-treated slide and barrel. Guess it's still legal in Germany.

themonk
02-16-15, 16:49
Interesting that Walther advertises it's PPQ and PPX (and others?) as having a Tenifer-treated slide and barrel. Guess it's still legal in Germany.

Yes and in Austria (per recent GLOCK Armorers class). GLOCK just chose to standardise on one finish.

okie john
02-16-15, 17:59

Dreaming in Technicolor:

Interchangeable back AND front straps--so you can go without finger grooves if you want
Optics ready in all models
All slides interchangeable with all frames within a given frame size. Want a G26 lower with a G19 upper? Should be no problem...
NO issues with BTF/extraction/ejection
Good steel sights--DeFoors/Heines/Sevigny/etc.--with suppressor-height sights for optics-ready models
Optional thumb safety for those who want it

For starters...

Okie John

samuse
02-16-15, 20:08
I like Gen3 just fine but I think the grip size and texture of the Gen4 is better.

I for one don't want all the interchangeable pieces all over the grip. More little bitty pieces of plastic to break or warp and not fit right, and not to mention hardware to lose, more expensive to make, heavier, etc, do not want.

My hands grip everything from a S&W J frames, to a Glock 21, A2 pistol grips to pump shotguns, I hold Picatinny railed handguards like they were the part of a gun you're supposed to hold onto. I like simple stuff that works and is tough. Not everything has to be a lego-transformer-tinker toy-joke of a handgun. Grab the dang thing and shoot it.

DT1
02-18-15, 06:22
Glock has already stopped production of large frame Gen 3 pistols (45 & 10mm). A large distributor group recently purchased the last of the inventory. Once it's sold, it will all be Gen 4. I have to think the other models will standardize to Gen 4 if for no other reason than production bandwidth and efficiency. We shall see.

The inclusion of different back straps in the Gen 4 model was a direct response to S&W offering them for the M&P line. Like the poster above, the regular Glock grip fits my hand just fine. Many people, however like the ability to reduce or enlarge the grip (think police departments with officers hand sizes all over the spectrum) so Glock offers the option in the Gen 4 pistols.

Gen 4 pistols also ship with 3 magazines vs 2 for the Gen 3 helping to somewhat offset the higher price.

Firefly
02-18-15, 07:57
You know, the backstraps aren't important to me.
I wish you could special order Gen4 frames without finger grooves.

pinzgauer
02-18-15, 08:19

I wish you could order Gen4's with Gen2 reliability.

No parts swapping, "glock will fix it, just send it back", "stop limp writing", "don't use xyz ammo", problems that don't surface until 500-1000+ rounds, etc

Beat Trash
02-18-15, 09:14
I have large hands, so the large back strap with the beaver tail makes the Gen4 Glock 19 fit me like a dream. My older Gen3 Glock 19 fit "ok" but I'm sold on the gen4's.

I own two gen4 Glock 19's. One was test fired on Halloween of 2013, and the other in July of 2014. Both guns are gtg without any extraction or btf issues.

I think Glock inc. will continue to produce the gen3 9mm guns for as long as they continue to get orders for sales of gen3 guns. Because the bottom line with Glock inc. is that it's all about the money...

Firefly
02-18-15, 10:56
I wish you could order Gen4's with Gen2 reliability.

No parts swapping, "glock will fix it, just send it back", "stop limp writing", "don't use xyz ammo", problems that don't surface until 500-1000+ rounds, etc

What problems are you having? I read online about weird Gen4 problems I've not yet seen personally. Either I have a Gen4 made with problems corrected or I have gotten lucky. For reference I have an early 2012 (bought in early 2012 rather) G21 Gen4 that I have shot as often as my older G21. PPC matches, recreation shooting, classes, etc. Everyone else has a Gen4 G22.

Nobody has ever definitively told me what is supposed to "go wrong". Or why. Not saying it is not true or may not have happened. I hear tell of "unreliability" but nothing specific or what causes it.

Thanks for any input

DT1
02-18-15, 11:36
You know, the backstraps aren't important to me.

All you need is a dremel with sanding drum. 5 minutes later, the finger grooves will be gone :) Do it to all my Glocks with finger grooves.

223to45
02-18-15, 12:15
What problems are you having? I read online about weird Gen4 problems I've not yet seen personally. Either I have a Gen4 made with problems corrected or I have gotten lucky. For reference I have an early 2012 (bought in early 2012 rather) G21 Gen4 that I have shot as often as my older G21. PPC matches, recreation shooting, classes, etc. Everyone else has a Gen4 G22.

Nobody has ever definitively told me what is supposed to "go wrong". Or why. Not saying it is not true or may not have happened. I hear tell of "unreliability" but nothing specific or what causes it.

Thanks for any input

From what I have seen most it is parrot talk.

I have a early Gen4 G19 with the original "03" spring, no issues.

GregP220
02-18-15, 20:38
Probably downward ejection that hits you right in the junk.

Heh! :laugh:

Trajan
02-18-15, 22:16
Good steel sights--DeFoors/Heines/Sevigny/etc.--with suppressor-height sights for optics-ready models

Nope. You're going to change them out anyway. Might as well cost nothing.

Gen 4 is GTG in my book. Only thing I could see improved is ambi mag and slide release. And factory G19Ls and G26Ls.

BriansM4
02-18-15, 22:24
I like the grip on the gen 2s. Anyhow the 3s will go the way of the 2s eventually

IZinterrogator
02-18-15, 23:13
I don't know about these requests for an ambi mag release. Glock already tried it and it went over like a fart in church.

Crow Hunter
02-19-15, 11:01

Just as a heads up. Tenifer is only the "brand name" of a form of "nitriding" steel. ;) There are other methods for getting the same results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing

As long as it is still getting the same hardness (64 Rockwell C)to the same depths as the original Tenifer treatment it will give the same performance. Considering one of the "features" of Glock is their corrosion resistance, I am fairly confident that Glock used a similar performing treatment.

The black "finish" on the slide that you can see isn't the Tenifer. That is just a black, sometimes nearly gray oxide finish. You would have to strip that oxide finish off to actually see the treated steel.