PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Wolff Gun springs in their Glocks?

saints75
02-16-15, 12:27
I was reading a blog post from Jeff Gonzales about keeping a log for your handguns. I noticed his recoil spring was not captive. I looked up his Tricon Pro Package and read that he is using Wolff Gun Spring guide rod and spring. The system in non-captive. I like the idea of just replacing the spring and not the guide rod as well. I use a stainless steel guide rod in all of my gen 3 Glocks. I have seen the plastic guide rods brake. All of my guide rods are captive. I need to replace my recoil springs. I can just change out the spring on the guide rods I have now, but it looks like a pain in the butt to do if I do not have the right tools. I like the fact I can change just the spring out and not spend $45 on a new captive guide rod. :)

Eurodriver
02-16-15, 12:32
My buddy is one of those "Gotta upgrade everything" guys. Even though his shit lives in the safe, he needs the latest and greatest everything gun related.

He has a Glock 32 in .357Sig. He's had it for at least 3 or 4 years. It's been 100% reliable and he has maybe 1500 rounds through it. He bought a Wolff SS Guide rod & Spring for his pistol, and he experienced no less than 5 failures in one box of ammo. The pistol would not fully return to battery after cycling, and this was ammo he had fired hundreds of times before without issue.

Now he's driving himself crazy trying to figure out how to get the Wolff spring to work, when he could simply toss in the OEM part and rock on.

His experience echos what I have read on here and elsewhere. YMMV

Ryno12
02-16-15, 12:39
I have a Wolff spring (non captive) in my G20. I usually run very hot loads through it & it helped keep my ejected brass within my zip code. No issues with it but I am also running a 6" SL barrel.

Sensei
02-16-15, 12:46
I was reading a blog post from Jeff Gonzales about keeping a log for your handguns. I noticed his recoil spring was not captive. I looked up his Tricon Pro Package and read that he is using Wolff Gun Spring guide rod and spring. The system in non-captive. I like the idea of just replacing the spring and not the guide rod as well. I use a stainless steel guide rod in all of my gen 3 Glocks. I have seen the plastic guide rods brake. All of my guide rods are captive. I need to replace my recoil springs. I can just change out the spring on the guide rods I have now, but it looks like a pain in the butt to do if I do not have the right tools. I like the fact I can change just the spring out and not spend $45 on a new captive guide rod. :)

Yes, OEM plastic guide rods do break - especially when people do not adhere to reasonable maintance schedules. Recoil spring assemblies are like any other expendable part in that they should be removed from service after about 5-7.5K rounds. This is a pure guestimate as I'm not aware of an official service life. Thus, I tend to shorten that interval to <5K in my 10mm models which get hotter loads. I must have shot over 250,000 rounds through various generations of Glocks since 1995, and NEVER had a problem with the OEM recoil spring assembly in pre-Gen4 guns.

Kain
02-16-15, 14:59
A Glock recoil spring assembly is what? Like $9 or $10 bucks if that? Hell I have have like three in my parts bin, new, never used, as replacements. I have never heard of any major issues with the stock recoil assembly in glock except from some early Gen 4s. I don't see the point personally in screwing with the damn things as long as they run, same with running a GI guide rod in my 1911, it works so I don't worry about it. The only reason I would consider screwing with the springs in the gun were if I was shooting only competition with it and trying to tune it to a light load, otherwise i don't screw with them. I swap the recoil assembly out of my Glock out after 3-5K depending on caliber and model personally, cheap insurance and piece of mind.

If I recall correctly, I think glock at one point stated that the recoil assembly didn't need replacing, and christ have I had some spout that shit as well as that they never need to clean a glock and other bullshit, but Glock as has since changed it to around the 3-5K mark(Been a long time since I even looked at it) if I recall correctly and I generally feel that the 3-5K mark is a safe bet for any handgun and again factory recoil assemblies are cheap.

samuse
02-16-15, 16:51
I don't understand people's hang up with plastic and/or disposable guide rods. The gun is plastic, the springs get tossed when they're wore out. Why the sentiment over a fr33kin' guide rod??

I have a Wolff steel guide rod and spring that I bought when I was young and dumb. The gun works with it, but it uses a proprietary Wolff spring. There is no advantage as I use factory ammo and stock weight springs.

As soon as I get around to it, I'm throwing the steel guide rod in the trash and upgrading with a standard Glock plastic one.

1_click_off
02-16-15, 17:27
I have the un-captive setup in my G20 when shooting 9X25 Dillon and switch back to the standard Glock assembly when shooting 10mm.

jhr1986
02-16-15, 21:14
I run a Jager steel captured guide rod with an IMSI 13lb recoil spring, and a Wolff 4.5lb striker spring and reduced power safety plunger spring in my G34 that I shoot exclusively in uspsa/idpa/3gun. I am happy with those products in that gun, but I also run my own gamer handloads (147gr coated lead bullet @ 900fps and federal primers) as part of that system.

If the gun is to be used in anything other than competitive shooting, leave it stock. Seriously.

Sensei
02-16-15, 21:33
My impression is that the aftermarket recoil spring craze was born over 2 issues. First, there are a number of 10mm enthusiasts who were shooting full power hand loads in Gen 2/3 guns. While these guns could "handle" full power loads, many felt that recoil was mitigated and service life improved with heavier aftermarket springs. Personally, I think that the Gen4 spring assembly makes this a mute point as the recoil impulse in my Gen4 G20 is significantly less than my Gen3.

The second issue came about when dealers like Glockmeister and TopGlock were pushing these aftermarket assemblies with pictures of OEM parts that had somehow "failed." However, there was never any context to these failures for us to know how many rounds the OEM part survived.

teutonicpolymer
02-16-15, 22:29
deleted because I actually don't want to get into a debate about recoil springs in Glocks

PD Sgt.
02-16-15, 22:47
I have the uncaptured Wolff springs in my G29, and I also have their reduced power striker block springs in my 17L and 34. Other than that I use the stock RSAs and have no problems with reliability.

LoveAR
02-16-15, 23:17
I got one of those fancy heavy metal guide rods for my G19. It blew apart at the range soon after. I run the stock one now and have not had any issues.

mayonaise
02-17-15, 10:32
Steel guide rods are fine in most glocks. Keep in mind though that the frame flexes a lot during firing. I handle a ton of Glocks and rarely see OEM guide rods break. Glock did upgrade the polymer guide rods several years ago, mostly to be more heat resistant. The biggest issue I've seen is steel guide rods in the long slide guns like 17L's and G24's. Again, this goes back to restricting frame flex, causing feeding issues.

If the OEM guide rods can withstand the use in a G18, they can certainly withstand anything the average user can do to them.