PDA

View Full Version : Help, I was just issued a DPMS?!?

abnartyguy
07-05-08, 13:27
Gents,

Alright, alright, before anyone comes to the defense of DPMS I'm not going saying they are not 'ok' blasters, I think I own at least one, lol.

Ok, ok, here's my story. I just got hired by a different company over here in "the sandbox" and I was all excited when I was handed a brand new Glock 19 in the box, wow, cool, it was christmas in the summer.

I was then handed a well worn DPMS AR-15 16" barrel and all. My heart fell, i think I would have taken an M-16A2 better. To say the least I inspected the bolt, bolt carrier, etc, and it looks like the finish took the worst of it, the inside was fairly clean and semi lubed.

So, my question I pose to the forum is what would you do to it. I really would rather use my own optics, fore-grips, etc. Even though it looks like i'll have to drop some money for a rail system. What I am really concerned about is extractor springs and internal parts i might have to worry about going bad...

Any thoughts?

thanks!

-ZM:cool:

lalakai
07-05-08, 13:33
considering the cost of a simple maintenance kit from BCM http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SOPMOD-Bolt-Upgrade-Rebuild-Kit-p/bcm%20bolt%20upgrade%20kit.htm, it might be cheap insurance. Check and make sure you have the right buffer matched to the gas tube system. you should be able to replace most of the critical parts pretty cheap, and then you know you have a good platform. Big difference between "range" and "combat" use, and you don't want to leave much to chance.

ps, you might also want to pick up some of the better mags also. These http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-PMAG-AR15-Magazine-p/magpul%20pmag%2030%20black%20window.htm work very well and can be bought from all over the net. But i do know that places like BCM and Grant's http://www.gandrtactical.com/will make sure you get what you really need.

good luck

Iraqgunz
07-05-08, 14:14
If you can make it to the IZ I will help you in getting it up to speed. We can do an inspection, replace the gas rings, extractor spring/ insert, gas tube, do a proper staking, etc....Let me know.

C4IGrant
07-05-08, 16:19
Hmm, if it was my gun, I would have the following done to it:

1. Change the entire BCG for either a BCM or LMT.
2. Put an H buffer and CS buffer spring in it.
3. Check the chamber to make sure it is 556 NATO.
4. Stake castle nut (if it needed it).

C4

Charlie Hotel
07-06-08, 22:27
Hmm, if it was my gun, I would have the following done to it:

1. Change the entire BCG for either a BCM or LMT.
2. Put an H buffer and CS buffer spring in it.
3. Check the chamber to make sure it is 556 NATO.
4. Stake castle nut (if it needed it).

C4

He can do all the above but if his weapon doesnt have a Chrome lined bore and chamber.......... :( Remember, thats an option with DPMS.

JAYTEAM
07-07-08, 08:27
He can do all the above but if his weapon doesnt have a Chrome lined bore and chamber.......... :( Remember, thats an option with DPMS.

Hopefully anyone issuing them in "the sandbox" would have gotten chrome lined barrels, but then again you would have thought they would be handing out LMT's too... right?

Jay

C4IGrant
07-07-08, 08:30

You are correct. My first reaction if given a DPMS to defend my life with in the sandbox would be to sell it and buy an Ak. ;)

If the weapon does NOT have a chrome lining, then he is just screwed and should be brushing up on his transition skills.

C4

TOrrock
07-07-08, 08:59
You are correct. My first reaction if given a DPMS to defend my life with in the sandbox would be to sell it and buy an Ak. ;)

If the weapon does NOT have a chrome lining, then he is just screwed and should be brushing up on his transition skills.

C4

Quoted for posterity. :D

Zef, best of luck man. Do you have any wiggle room as to replacement of the carbine?

eb2007
07-07-08, 13:35
Noob q: Why is the lack of a chrome lined barrel bad?

C4IGrant
07-07-08, 13:37

Ever heard of Vietnam? Ask a Vet from that war about non chromed lined M16's.

C4

eb2007
07-07-08, 13:40

C4

That wasnt the answer I was looking for :rolleyes:

C4IGrant
07-07-08, 14:19

Actually it is, you just don't know it. ;)

C4

Ron S.
07-07-08, 14:40

If you're shooting for accuracy (competitions, etc.) and you're not shooting full auto, barrels without chrome lining are better. However, if you're in the elements, using it for defense (lots of rounds), etc., then chrome lining is a blessing. It preserves the life of the barrel.

rubberneck
07-07-08, 14:44

Because heat and moisture can screw up a carbon steel barrel quickly even if your are diligent about keeping it clean. Chrome rusts but at a much, much slower rate than carbon steel. The other thing is chrome is much harder than carbon steel. A chromed barrel will have a longer lifespan than one that isn't chromed.

Iraqgunz
07-07-08, 15:21
abnartyguy,

My offer still stands if you can get into the IZ.

TurretGunner
07-07-08, 18:01
I doubt he will be throwing the kind of rounds downrange where a CL will matter or that he will not have the facilities to clean them. Living in the Suck of Nam and on a fob or LSA in the box are two different animals. I highly doubt the DPMS is auto or even burst so its not like he is going to burn the barrel up.

Just check everything over and make sure the fucntions tests work. Throw atleat 500 rounds down range in one shooting to make sure its reliable. Make sure you have good mags and they are not the problem. Anything that looks well worn or not right, replace with quality parts. The only real concern I would have is the LPK. If you have to order a quality one and replace it.

If you are still uncomfortable, just order a LMT upper wth BCG and apropriate buffer/spring.

BYUP
07-07-08, 20:12

C4
I think the lack of proper cleaning & especially lube had far more to do with failures in Vietnam than not having a chrome lined bore.( probably 99%)That being said,I believe a chrome lined bore will be a bit more forgiving-all else being equal.If he has problems with his barrel due to not being chrome lined,I would think he should have been issued something other than an M16 / M4.
No, I've not served in the military,if I'm wrong about the barrel,please educate.

C4IGrant
07-08-08, 08:36
I doubt he will be throwing the kind of rounds downrange where a CL will matter or that he will not have the facilities to clean them. Living in the Suck of Nam and on a fob or LSA in the box are two different animals. I highly doubt the DPMS is auto or even burst so its not like he is going to burn the barrel up.

Just check everything over and make sure the fucntions tests work. Throw atleat 500 rounds down range in one shooting to make sure its reliable. Make sure you have good mags and they are not the problem. Anything that looks well worn or not right, replace with quality parts. The only real concern I would have is the LPK. If you have to order a quality one and replace it.

If you are still uncomfortable, just order a LMT upper wth BCG and apropriate buffer/spring.

He is in a hostile environment. While it is not Vietnam, it is also not a day at the range. I would pass on NOT having chrome lining in a fighting weapon.

C4

C4IGrant
07-08-08, 08:39
I think the lack of proper cleaning & especially lube had far more to do with failures in Vietnam than not having a chrome lined bore.( probably 99%)That being said,I believe a chrome lined bore will be a bit more forgiving-all else being equal.If he has problems with his barrel due to not being chrome lined,I would think he should have been issued something other than an M16 / M4.
No, I've not served in the military,if I'm wrong about the barrel,please educate.

No doubt that the lack of cleaning and poor ammo was also a major issue, but so is lack of Chrome. Chrome does many things for a barrel. Protects is, adds lubricity, extends wear and in general, increases reliability.

His weapon might have 20,000rds through it and be shot out. If it was chrome lined, he wouldn't have to be concerned about such things.

C4

Iraqgunz
07-08-08, 08:40
Unfortunately not all PMC's here in theater are squared away and give their guys good kit. Many have handed out AK's and other weapons as well as ammo w/o even knowing if the stuff was good to go. Some guys get a few mags and are told to "procure" their own. So I wouldn't assume that proper cleaning gear and knowledgable personnel will be available to troubleshoot and fix shit when needed. Fortunately some of us network to take car of each other .

BUBBAGUNS
07-08-08, 16:04

C4

Ii is a sandy hot enviroment. Does he need the chrome? OR is it just prefered?

:)

GONIF
07-08-08, 16:51
if the chamber is not chrome lined extraction on a dirty weapon can be a problem ,if the barrel is not chrome lined it will go away sooner and be harder to clean given a life and death situation anything less is looking for trouble . hope it all works out but they have shit for brains for issueing a half assed weapon to him,good thing he has a side arm. Mr Stoner designed it and he speced chrome lined barrels for a reason. anyone risking his life in combat should have good proper equptment for the job .

TurretGunner
07-08-08, 17:16
Luckily any job of there where they issue non .mil a weapon should make enough money that it should be trivial to spend less than $1000 on some quality parts to make sure your gtg.

Iraqgunz
07-08-08, 17:27
And of course you realize that there are other factors to consider such as ITAR restrictions, which even though they are overlooked can get you into trouble. Also, some contracts (mine is one of them) specifically prohibit any alteration of the weapon w/o approval. As a matter of fact with the changing situation here in Iraq and PMC's I would venture to guess that if someone had an "extra" upper and it were to come out the Ministry of the Interior would use that as "proof" that we are a bunch of cowboys or that it was obtained to commit a crime and subvert a subsequent investigation.

Luckily any job of there where they issue non .mil a weapon should make enough money that it should be trivial to spend less than $1000 on some quality parts to make sure your gtg.

BigRed
07-09-08, 13:09
If you're allowed to run another upper, just get one put together with the parts you want from one of the reliable builders. Also get an armourer to check out the internals on your lower, make sure everything is legit.

Or get to the IZ and take Iraqguns up on his offer!