PDA

View Full Version : Savage aftermarket bottom metals

number1olddog
02-16-15, 18:00
So I picked up a new Savage 10 FCP. I took it out this weekend and the dang thing shoots awesome. I was going to get rid of the accustock but in reality the aluminum bedding is just as good as the bell and carlson I used to have on my other savage that's long gone:sad:. I'm not fond of the chincy bottom metal that it comes with which has the new 10 rd. box mag. It does work but is it worth upgrading to the drop in kit from accurate mag or getting the CDI and doing some modding to it? The rifle will be used primarily for target shooting and the occasional outdoor hunt

Bimmer
02-17-15, 19:06
I'm picking up a FCP-SR from my FFL next week. I'm wondering about bottom metal and spare mags, too...

el_chingoton13
02-17-15, 19:43
Accurate Mag is OEM for the Savage models that have a DBM.

Bimmer
02-17-15, 20:33

Yeah, but they're $70 each (?!), so I'm hoping MagPul's new precision rifle mag will fit...

el_chingoton13
02-17-15, 20:36
Being AICS pattern, the Magpul mags will fit.

Bimmer
02-17-15, 21:10

That would be SUPER...

number1olddog
02-18-15, 17:58
I bit the bullet and got the drop in kit bottom metal from accurate mag. The guy on the phone was very friendly as I had a few questions for him. My Savage is the newer 2015 side bolt release with accustock. Even though the drop in kit is for the side bolt release, Savage has re-configured the accustock over the years so it may not be a true drop in fit. The guy did not know Savage dumped the bottom bolt release and went back to the original style. Mine comes from the facoty with the new 10 rd box mag and it will not fit in my buddies 2013 model Savage with accustock and bottom bolt release. Both rifles have the front mag release button but just made two years apart and I still cant figure out why they won't fit. For an extra 300 I could have went the MDT or Mcrees route but I am pretty happy with the accustock so far so if anyone wants pics when it comes in let me know.

Bimmer
02-18-15, 22:46
My Savage is the newer 2015 side bolt release with accustock... Mine comes from the facoty with the new 10 rd box mag and it will not fit in my buddies 2013 model Savage with accustock and bottom bolt release. Both rifles have the front mag release button but just made two years apart and I still cant figure out why they won't fit...

This is mine, too. It's been rather confusing, because several sources in the errornet say that the bottom bolt release is a sign of the AccuStock...

It's worrying that your mags won't fit in a 2013 model Savage, since those were s'posed to accept AICS mags. That implies that our new 2015 Savages are NOT AICS pattern mags, but something "special."

Steel head
02-19-15, 18:25
I use PTG bottom metal on my 11 build.
Works well with AICS and Accurate mags.

number1olddog
02-21-15, 21:16
just an update. The Accurate Mag bottom metal was a needed upgrade. The only downfall is the mag release is a bit thin and could possibly break if the weapon is dropped and somehow lands on it. Other than that it was a drop in fit minus having to shave the front action screw down a bit. I'm glad they provided extra screws because the factory screws would not have even come close to fitting the aftermarket bottom metal. A pic

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af302/J-Markert/IMG_1405_zps7e1f192c.jpg (http://s1018.photobucket.com/user/J-Markert/media/IMG_1405_zps7e1f192c.jpg.html)

Bimmer
02-26-15, 10:29

Are you sure about this? Looking at posts on SavageShooters.com and SnipersHide, it sounds like Savage used Accurate Mag bottom metal and mags up to 2014, but the new 2015+ Savage 10-rnd mags are Savage's own... it's their 4-round mag with a plastic extender around the bottom.

The guys on the other forums are quite clear that the 2015+ 10-rnd Savage magss are NOT AI-compatabile...

number1olddog
02-26-15, 18:41
Are you sure about this? Looking at posts on SavageShooters.com and SnipersHide, it sounds like Savage used Accurate Mag bottom metal and mags up to 2014, but the new 2015+ Savage 10-rnd mags are Savage's own... it's their 4-round mag with a plastic extender around the bottom.

The guys on the other forums are quite clear that the 2015+ 10-rnd Savage magss are NOT AI-compatabile...

Savage only put Accurate Mag bottom metals in certain bolt guns, not all Savage models that had a detachable box mag. I just got a 2015 Savage 10FCP-SR and it came with the new 10rd. detachable box mag. The factory bottom metal is not compatible with AI type mags. I just swapped out the bottom metal for an Accurate Mag bottom metal and it accepts AI type mags. The new 10rd. factory bottom metal still has the Savage front mag release button.

ETA: The new Savage 10 rd. mag does not work and is not compatible with my Accurate Mag bottom metal that accepts AI type mags.

caporider
02-26-15, 19:10
Savage only put Accurate Mag bottom metals in certain bolt guns, not all Savage models that had a detachable box mag. I just got a 2015 Savage 10FCP-SR and it came with the new 10rd. detachable box mag. The factory bottom metal is not compatible with AI type mags. I just swapped out the bottom metal for an Accurate Mag bottom metal and it accepts AI type mags. The new 10rd. factory bottom metal still has the Savage front mag release button.

ETA: The new Savage 10 rd. mag does not work and is not compatible with my Accurate Mag bottom metal that accepts AI type mags.

This is great info.

I have a 10FP-SR in a H-S Precision stock with the Accurate Mag DBM. The DBM dropped in with just a tiny bit of fitting (I literally shaved a bit around one screw hole with my multitool knife) and it works very well with 5rd and 10rd AICS mags. It's not great with Alpha mags as the Alpha's swell when loaded.

Bimmer
02-26-15, 19:11
I just got a 2015 Savage 10FCP-SR and it came with the new 10rd. detachable box mag.

Yep, me, too...

I just swapped out the bottom metal for an Accurate Mag bottom metal and it accepts AI type mags...

Nice, but too rich for my blood. I'm not ready to spend $300+ on new bottom metal and magazines for a $500 rifle.

If you're looking to unload your OEM Savage magazine, send me a PM...

number1olddog
02-26-15, 19:32
This is great info.

I have a 10FP-SR in a H-S Precision stock with the Accurate Mag DBM. The DBM dropped in with just a tiny bit of fitting (I literally shaved a bit around one screw hole with my multitool knife) and it works very well with 5rd and 10rd AICS mags. It's not great with Alpha mags as the Alpha's swell when loaded.

So did you purchase the hs stock and accurate mag bottom metal separately? I want to know what aftermarket stocks work with the accurate mag bottom metal.

caporider
02-26-15, 20:03
So did you purchase the hs stock and accurate mag bottom metal separately? I want to know what aftermarket stocks work with the accurate mag bottom metal.

Yep, bought the stock from StockyStocks and the DBM from Brownells.

number1olddog
02-26-15, 20:43
Yep, bought the stock from StockyStocks and the DBM from Brownells.

Im just SOL. Stockys does not have a stock that fits mine. Can you post a link or model # of stock you got?