PDA

View Full Version : Sig P226 + G-code XST

RocketScott
02-16-15, 18:54
Not sure if this is the best section for this, mods please move it if it is not.

I got my XST holster over the weekend and found that the 'canopy' hits the hammer and doesn't always drop out of the way. I emailed G-code to see about fixing it and heard back today:

Thank you for the email and picture. You can heat the canopy if you would like. We made the canopy to accept the weapon with the hammer in the cocked position. Let me know if you would like to send it in for modification.

Is it common practice to carry the 226 with the hammer cocked? I carry my 1911 cocked and locked but I have never done that with my 226. Since it has no safety I always counted on the heavier trigger pull on the first shot to be somewhat of a safety.

Omen
02-16-15, 18:57
I don't own a 226, but I own a 229 da/sa and would never consider carrying it with the hammer back. Sounds like a bad assumption in holster design.

Talon167
02-16-15, 19:26
No, it's not designed to be carried in SA. The gun should be carried hammer forward...

Talon167
02-16-15, 19:32
Someone on AR15 has this same problem...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_14/156995_P_Series_meant_to_be_carried_with_hammer_back_and_live_round_in_chamber_.html

Vandal
02-16-15, 20:10
G-code is wrong. Yes there are some P226s out there that are SAO with a thumb safety, however, the vast majority are DA/SA designed to be carried hammer down.

Looks like G-Code screwed that one up and isn't owning the issue.

CatSnipah
02-16-15, 20:19
I don't own a 226, but I own a 229 da/sa and would never consider carrying it with the hammer back. Sounds like a bad assumption in holster design.

This. I'd never carry a DA/SA with the hammer back. Good grief that just seems like a bad bad bad idea.

The heavy DA pull really acts as the safety feature on those pistols. Dumb design by Gcode.

nate89
02-16-15, 20:22
I also have a 226, and that is plain stupid to carry a non-SAO 226 with the hammer cocked. I have a SOC holster for my Glock 17, and it's been fine, I sure wish they would get on the ball and release the 300U light shroud.

RocketScott
02-16-15, 22:05
Awesome. Thanks for the responses guys. At least I don't feel like I'm crazy for thinking like the rest of you.

I think that I can form the loop a little better to make it work with the hammer down.

RocketScott
02-18-15, 18:31
After complaining to G-code I got this in response:

My apologies for the confusion. For some reason I was thinking 1911 XST. The
226 is equipped with a de-cocker. We can adjust that canopy for you. Here is your return authorization:
RMA #: XXXXXXXX
Please write the RMA # on the Package in bold letters. Also, please include a brief note that summarizes the reason for the return. Items being returned for refund or credit may be subject to a 15% restocking fee.
Returns may be refused if the item is not returned in new condition.

Now I'm not sure if I should send it back or not. I'm positive I can warm the canopy up with a heat gun and get it shaped better, it barely catches on the hammer. I just don't want to void the warranty. Above all I'm just glad they don't think the P226 should be carried cocked.