PDA

View Full Version : BCM bolt question

odugrad
02-17-15, 08:30
I just finished my BCM 14.5 carbine and took it to the range. I was cleaning it last night and took the extractor out and noticed there was no o-ring. I was under the impression all BCM bcgs had an o-ring. Was I wrong? Thanks, guys.

samuse
02-17-15, 08:37
If you buy a BCG it comes with an uninstalled O ring, but they don't put 'em in there. I wouldn't use one. With the new springs and black inserts I've never had a problem with extraction.

markm
02-17-15, 08:50
You don't want the o ring in there. It's an out dated, idiotic solution to old, overgassed carbines.

Jwknutson17
02-17-15, 09:18
You don't want the o ring in there. It's an out dated, idiotic solution to old, overgassed carbines.

This x100000000000. All those o-rings go straight to the trash!

sevenhelmet
02-17-15, 09:52
Keep that extractor clean with a handy spare and you should have no problems.

Charlie Don't Surf
02-17-15, 10:05
I was getting FTEs about every 5-10 rounds in my 300blk build that had a BCM BCG in it. The FTEs didn't start until about 400 rounds into the life of the gun. I installed the O ring that came with it and it has run fine since.

connorr93
02-17-15, 14:44

odugrad
02-17-15, 21:15
I also noticed a lot of "upgrade" kits include an o-ring. And DD puts what they call an extractor booster in their bolts.

Why would you not want one? Is it bad to have one of these?

Iraqgunz
02-17-15, 21:27
O-rings are a band-aid and not required for properly built rifles and carbines. Over time they have migrated into the standard AR world. Their use on SBR's is also rather dubious. I have never needed to use one with a properly built weapon with thousands and thousands of rounds down range.

I also noticed a lot of "upgrade" kits include an o-ring. And DD puts what they call an extractor booster in their bolts.

Why would you not want one? Is it bad to have one of these?

odugrad
02-17-15, 21:46
Do you know why DD would put them on their extractors?

Hank6046
02-17-15, 23:01

If I remember correctly, the O-ring stays true to the original mil-spec but Colt themselves changed to the spring setup because it tended to work better for various ammo. If I'm wrong someone will correct me, but thats my understanding of it. I have a DD with 3k rounds +(not all that much) and my backup BCG is a Spikes which has the springco spring setup but I've never had to use it thus far.

Iraqgunz
02-18-15, 03:24
No idea. But, BCM ships their BCG's out with the O-ring sealed separately. The U.S military has never used an O-ring as a standard issue. My M16A1/A2 and M4 never had them.

Ryno12
02-18-15, 06:44
http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/product.php?id_product=138

comes with black mil speck o ring ? so your saying Sionics rifles are not properly built !

That's the bolt only. They have no control where that bolt goes after it's sold. BCM does the same thing.