PDA

View Full Version : Interview of Bob Stasch, Chicago PD Veteran Of 14 Gunfights

Amp Mangum
02-17-15, 13:24
Well worth a listen:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/02/17/interview-bob-stasch-chicago-pd-veteran-14-gunfights/

signal4l
02-17-15, 14:36
Great stuff. Very much worth 50 minutes of your time

Eurodriver
02-17-15, 14:55
Great stuff. Very much worth 50 minutes of your time

Indeed. The story about emptying the entire cylinder of +p 38 Special at point blank range into a 5'7" 143lb BG's shoulder blade, and then hitting him twice more with .357 Mag in the upper torso, once in the thigh, and once in the knee only to have him continue fighting but unable to walk is something we can all take away from this.

Sam
02-17-15, 15:35
.. and then hitting him twice more with .357 Mag in the upper torso, once in the thigh, and once in the knee only to have him continue fighting but unable to walk is something we can all take away from this.

I thought he shot the thug with a .44 magnum - the gun was a model 29.

When I was a teenager and was studying martial arts, my instructor said if they can't "see, breathe or walk", they can't hurt you. Basically, take out the eys, nose or wind pipe and knee and your chance of survival is pretty good. So when I heard that he blew the guy's knee cap and shot his leg out, I knew the fight was over.

nate89
02-17-15, 16:28
I remember hearing this interview when it was released as a podcast, I went and found it and it's about 5 years old. If you like these sorts of interviews, Mas did quite a few of them with other Police officers, including a really good one with one of Jim Cirilo's partners on the stakeout squad.

Eurodriver
02-17-15, 16:59

You are correct, which is even more astonishing.

Mr blasty
02-17-15, 18:02
You are correct, which is even more astonishing.

Just goes to prove, handguns suck.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

WillBrink
02-17-15, 18:04

When I was a teenager and was studying martial arts, my instructor said if they can't "see, breathe or walk", they can't hurt you. Basically, take out the eys, nose or wind pipe and knee and your chance of survival is pretty good. So when I heard that he blew the guy's knee cap and shot his leg out, I knew the fight was over.

That was after his partner had gone dry shooting the guy, who took 15 rnds and lived.

T2C
02-17-15, 20:37
I believe Bob shot in the North Suburban Police Pistol League in the 1980's. Good interview.

signal4l
02-18-15, 09:41
Reminds me of the saying.."Its not the arrow. Its the Indian".

He carries a DAO P220 on duty and a DAO P288 off duty. CPD doesnt authorize DA/SA guns. I have carried a DA/SA 220 for a long time. I cant stand DAO or DAK guns. Yet he was able to use them effectively.

Also interesting is that he fired his handgun one handed in the majority of his fights. He mentioned having a light in his other hand or having to use his support hand for other tasks while fighting.

He had to reload only 2 times in 14 fights

The majority of his fights took place at close range.

He uses a target focused approach to shooting.

He is most concerned about how the weapon points and fits his hand. He doesnt recommend a particular manufacturer or model of firearm.

People like Lt Stasch are a wealth of information. I am glad that Mr Ayoob has done these interviews. If someone could post a link to more i would appreciate it

Moose-Knuckle
02-18-15, 11:50
I remember hearing this interview when it was released as a podcast, I went and found it and it's about 5 years old. If you like these sorts of interviews, Mas did quite a few of them with other Police officers, including a really good one with one of Jim Cirilo's partners on the stakeout squad.

Now that was a gun fighter. I like a quote of his; "The quickest reload is another gun". IIRC he carried four handguns on his person.

I need to look up those interviews.

Great thread OP. Much appreciated.