PDA

View Full Version : Spikes Tactical Calico Jack lower - Cheesy or not?

connorr93
02-17-15, 17:14
I'm the guy that really dislikes all the silly zombie lowers, star wars lowers, punisher lowers, selector marking like pew pew, dead, undead, etc. and the dust covers with the funny phrases.

However, I have found myself really liking Spikes Calico Jack lower with the normal selector markings. Whats M4C's opinion about is lower? Cheesy or not?

militarymoron
02-17-15, 17:28
Go with what you like/want, but expect mixed opinions if you ask what everyone thinks, since it's purely subjective. personally, i think the calico jack is cool, but a little played out.

Jwknutson17
02-17-15, 17:33
Go with what you like/want, but expect mixed opinions if you ask what everyone thinks, since it's purely subjective. personally, i think the calico jack is cool, but a little played out.

Have to +1 this. I think its the best logo spikes makes. If you get a decent price on it. Go for it. I have a spikes lower that I SBRed and I dont care what people think of it. The rifle runs and works. I say get one. Unless you have a option to pick up a BCM or KAC or Noveske Gen2, then obviously I would choose differently. The battle arms lowers have an excellent finish if you haven't considered one of those yet. Logo is pretty neat also.

GregP220
02-17-15, 19:12
If you like it then who cares what others think? I tend to look at "everything" on an AR.

My ideal logo would be the Gadsden flag, but if I cheesed up the total build with a bunch of lame ass parts the logo won't save it.

BuzzinSATX
02-17-15, 19:27
I'm not a huge fan of this lower...i think it's the goofy smile on the skull head. I do like the selector switch's "parley, aarrr, and plunder" settings. Definitely like it better than the goofy zombie.

chastain11
02-17-15, 19:31
Not cheesy.

I had one and did a full Spikes build on it and sold it when I heard ST referred to as "mall ninja" stuff. Where I made my mistake (In my opinion) was a full Spikes build. Loved the logo on the lower and wished that I had it back...I like to think that I would've been a helluva pirate. If I get another, and I just might, I'd throw a BCM LW upper on it this go round...

Singlestack Wonder
02-17-15, 19:54
Even without the two penises crushing a bug logo, its still a spikes....

samuse
02-17-15, 20:18
Not really my style, but Spikes stuff is quality whether you like it or not.

I put together a Spikes upper with a 16" Optimum barrel and it was an awesome shooter.

MistWolf
02-17-15, 20:46
No, it's not cheesy. The regular Spikes logo is cheesy. The Calico Jack is cheesier. I want my own personal Jolly Roger on a lower. That would be cheesiest of all http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Avatars/emblem.png

If you want cheesier, get cheesier. I'm still trying to figure out how to get cheesiest

556BlackRifle
02-17-15, 20:48
Not my style but if you like it, go for it.

dentron
02-17-15, 20:55
I think they are cool.

Ryno12
02-17-15, 21:00
Well, since you asked...

I think it's gay. I don't care for too many "images" on lowers, including KACs. I think they're all cheesy. About the only one I can tolerate is Colt.

kenny256
02-17-15, 21:03
I on one and it's been a solid lower, I like the roll mark and think its cool.

Iraqgunz
02-17-15, 21:12
That was so Zero Dark Thirty. Honey Badger is the latest and greatest.

556BlackRifle
02-17-15, 21:31
That was so Zero Dark Thirty. Honey Badger is the latest and greatest.

I like Honey Badgers but that one kind of looks weak...

MegademiC
02-17-15, 21:33
Yes, its cheesy.

I'm not a pirate. I don't have 'badass' animals all over my gun either.

militarymoron
02-17-15, 21:53
If you want cheesier, get cheesier. I'm still trying to figure out how to get cheesiest

The chrome mudflap girl would do it.

JulyAZ
02-17-15, 22:08
Pirates are cool, what would others think if I got the honey badger, I wouldn't give a shit...see what I did there?

But really though if you like it get it. It's the new fad, you may always think it looks good, others may always like it too, but getting a standard lower (no funny roll marks) is like always wearing a tuxedo it will never go out of style.

I opt for the tuxedo.

Shiz
02-17-15, 22:18

Have you looked at the sword grips/pommel on those lowers? LOL..they resemble them more than the spiders. The actual flag has them too, I can barely look without having to look away.

thebarracuda
02-17-15, 22:45
I have one. I dont really mind it, but not my fav either. Its better than the spider/tummy sticks lowers. I prefer my aero precision lowers, not as gaudy. And colt of course. I will say everything I've ever bought from spikes has been good. But man do i hate the spider logo. The spider - thats cheesy.

^Rb
02-17-15, 23:03
So you guys are aware that Aero makes Spikes' lower receivers, right?

MistWolf
02-17-15, 23:07
The chrome mudflap girl would do it.

Mudflap Girl is cheesiest? Even cheesier than my Jolly Roger?

Oh go on, you flatterer...

thebarracuda
02-17-15, 23:36
So you guys are aware that Aero makes Spikes' lower receivers, right?

I believe we are just talking roll marks here.

j-ro
02-18-15, 08:37
Get what you like.

jurassic
02-18-15, 09:12
I have the Spikes spider, I like it, it works. Not a fan of logo's and they make a no logo version occasionally, but they sell quickly at my LGS.

Switch
02-18-15, 09:45
I'm not a fan of it but it's your lower do what you want. It's definitely better than the zombie lowers IMO.

sevenhelmet
02-18-15, 09:46

Aaaaaaand there it is... Surprised it took 7 posts.

I don't really care about roll marks, I think that having confusing words on the safety selector, an EOTech with a biohazard-shaped reticle, and a bunch of green or pink paint all over the gun is going too far, but that's my opinion. Honestly, get whatever lower you like. I think the Spike's logo looks like a spider, but 99% of the people here disagree with me (and yes, I have been "shown why", so let's not go there again). Nevertheless, I have 2 Spike's lowers and zero issues with them.

As a side question, why does every civilian lower have a full auto "setting" stamped into the lower? They aren't readily or legally modified to full auto, so what's up with that? Not a big deal, just something I've wondered since I got my first AR.

Swstock
02-18-15, 10:18
If you like it get it. Wgaf what anyone else thinks.

It'll do the same job as any other symbol.

jet66
02-18-15, 10:56
As long as it's a quality in-spec lower, the only 'cheese' I care about is how much more 'cheese' I can keep in my pocket when buying it.

jbjh
02-18-15, 11:16
One persons cheese is another's stiff nipple. I would never put anything like that on an HD gun, just because it might tend to look bad in court.
Bottom line, unless it impedes function or is out of spec, it's all good

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

brickboy240
02-18-15, 11:23
Cheesy.

Ditto on zombie lowers or other gimmick lowers.

Flankenstein
02-18-15, 11:27
One persons cheese is another's stiff nipple. I would never put anything like that on an HD gun, just because it might tend to look bad in court.
Bottom line, unless it impedes function or is out of spec, it's all good

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

lmao at responses like this where "looking bad in court" is a deciding factor on a roll mark or carry ammo.

Flankenstein
02-18-15, 11:28
To answer the OP...I'm a Colt fanboy so anything other than the pony just doesn't look right to me.

That said, out of all the stuff Spikes stamps on their lowers I think the calico jack is by far the best. No question.

PD Sgt.
02-18-15, 11:28
I had one for a while, quality was fine, and I thought the selector markings were humorous.

After a while I kind of thought it silly with the three selector markings when there was no way it would ever have more than two available settings. I mean, I get why they were there, I guess my attitude just changed. I sold the lower to a buddy who still loves it.

Now if they came out with a version that just had the two settings (Parley/Plunder or Parley/Arrgh!) I would probably buy and use that. Heck, I would probably SBR it (you know, for boardin' ships matey).

Flankenstein
02-18-15, 11:31
Now if they came out with a version that just had the two settings (Parley/Plunder or Parley/Arrgh!) I would probably buy and use that. Heck, I would probably SBR it (you know, for boardin' ships matey).

I think OP is asking about the lower with the pictogram markings. The one you are talking about is hard to find and people seem to love those selector markings...THOSE are corny IMO. Anything other than safe/semi or pictograms is corny though I think. I do think the freedom/oppression markings look kinda cool but I'd never buy one.

Shao
02-18-15, 12:15
lmao at responses like this where "looking bad in court" is a deciding factor on a roll mark or carry ammo.

I'm sure that it would look bad if you had a lower from Cop Killer Tactical or Murder Devices Corp... (don't google them, I made the names up)

Flankenstein
02-18-15, 12:33
I'm sure that it would look bad if you had a lower from Cop Killer Tactical or Murder Devices Corp... (don't google them, I made the names up)

Meh. Even so, according to you those companies don't exists. Moot point.

Shao
02-18-15, 12:45
Meh. Even so, according to you those companies don't exists. Moot point.

True, but you never know when the next bubba with a bank loan and an FFL will start cranking out lowers with the "Deadliest Tacticool Rollmark Ever!"...
Heck, I bet those Hellbreaker lowers with the cheese face machined into them would look bad in court... Prosecutors will use anything and everything to win their case. We're only safe from the evil court system if we defend our homes with a single shot shotgun. Joking of course...

Flankenstein
02-18-15, 12:56
True, but you never know when the next bubba with a bank loan and an FFL will start cranking out lowers with the "Deadliest Tacticool Rollmark Ever!"...
Heck, I bet those Hellbreaker lowers with the cheese face machined into them would look bad in court... Prosecutors will use anything and everything to win their case. We're only safe from the evil court system if we defend our homes with a single shot shotgun. Joking of course...

I am not arguing that prosecutors will try to use anything and everything...I'm arguing against the notion that those tactics actually work.

There is an exception to every rule though...I'll play the extreme game: I'm sure a swastika engraved lower used in the mass shooting at a temple/synagogue wouldn't look so good.

That said...even with this extreme example I doubt a swastika marked lower receiver used in defense of a legitimate home invasion where the perp happened to be Jewish would make the victim of the invasion any more susceptible to any prosecution.

sevenhelmet
02-18-15, 13:07
The perception of what some dipstick prosecutor will try to use against me when I defend my home ranks pretty low- as in nonexistent- on my selection of firearm platforms and cosmetic features. While I understand the concern, I think as long as we're not talking about something ridiculous for defense like incendiary ammo or an illegal configuration, then someone shouldn't let it sway their buying decision. Allowing what a prosecutor might say to limit one's buying options is a slippery slope that the gun grabbers would love to shove us down face first.

Swstock
02-18-15, 13:26
The perception of what some dipstick prosecutor will try to use against me when I defend my home ranks pretty low- as in nonexistent- on my selection of firearm platforms and cosmetic features. While I understand the concern, I think as long as we're not talking about something ridiculous for defense like incendiary ammo or an illegal configuration, then someone shouldn't let it sway their buying decision. Allowing what a prosecutor might say to limit one's buying options is a slippery slope that the gun grabbers would love to shove us down face first.

I think the amount of ammo in the closet would be more impactful in court than a design on a lower.

krichbaum
02-18-15, 15:14
I wish none of my lowers had logos or pictures on them. Thinking about getting a McKay A2 lower to SBR.

Shao
02-18-15, 15:20
I wish none of my lowers had logos or pictures on them. Thinking about getting a McKay A2 lower to SBR.

I have a few of those.. picked them up from Shadow Ops Weaponry... no rollmark at all and minimal engraving... I'm saving them for special builds.

Pax
02-18-15, 16:44
If there is ever a question in my life regarding the grace, subtlety, or good taste of a decision- then there is no question.

Iraqgunz
02-18-15, 16:57
Buy whatever roll mark excites you. No need to dedicate this much effort.