PDA

View Full Version : OAL in diff. cases

texasgunhand
02-18-15, 18:14
While starting to reload i noticed that some once fired .223 brass, i had some federal.223 that measures like 1.74 and the LC 5.56 brass was 1.77. Trim to length is 1.750 max1.760. This of course after f/l resizing both.

Why so much difference? The fed..223 was under trim length after resizing,they didnt stretch at all like the. LC 5.56 brass.
I measured a loaded Fed..223 case best i could and brass seems to be 1.74 almost no difference in the fired and resized rounds, is this showing that the fed. American eagle .223 is just under powered ,,compared to true LC 5.56 the military uses?
I noticed the. .223 which was 50 gr. Varmit tip seemed under powered by the soot on the case necks,like they weren't expanding enough to seal the chamber like the American eagle 9mm does.

I posted finally the problem i was having under the LC 4 crimp post.(Been feeling bad havent got to that post and it took off in a different direction.) will check that post later to see if you guys have had the same problem. Or if it was a swaging problem. Thanks..

markm
02-19-15, 08:02
Why so much difference?

It's a combination of two things. First, the Federal FC brass is about 1.730" to start with. I don't know why, but they just make those cases shorter than 1.75 for some reason.

Second, as you said, the 5.56 load is hotter and seems to really stretch the case more than a .223 load. I don't run an expander ball, so all the stretch I get is from firing the round and sizing it back down. I think when you run an expander ball it will give you even more length to trim when you pull it out of the case on the upstroke on your press.

texasgunhand
02-19-15, 16:19
Thanks mark, just seemed strange. Started to worry something was up, fed. Probably saves a little money or something.

Leaveammoforme
02-19-15, 17:45
Delete

markm
02-19-15, 20:28
I can see the short Federal necks without even looking at headstamp and just toss them into a bucket for a future blackout build.

Now that's a crime against humanity. Cutting any brass down to 300 USELESS is wrong.

Leaveammoforme
02-19-15, 20:40
Delete

markm
02-20-15, 07:25
I just shoot them til the grow long enough. I mean.. I definitely prefer longer necks but I'm too cheap to toss brass out. ;)