PDA

View Full Version : Troy Alpha Rail vs Enhanced Alpha & slotted pic-rails

noonesshowmonkey
02-18-15, 18:28
I have a Troy upper that is being RMA'd with a different rail, going from an integral flip-up front sight (wobbly, lots of lateral play, not too keen on it) to a standard alpha rail with a continuous top rail. The standard Alpha is back ordered, and they are offering the Enhanced instead. The Enhanced has a set of cooling holes milled out along the base riser of the top rail, and a slot milled out along the center line of the top rail.

While there was discussion here on M4C (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?162043-Troy-Alpha-ENHANCED), the thread didn't really have much in the way of detail that I was hoping to find.

Given the way that devices attach to the rail, cross bolted as they are, the primary load bearing portions of the rail itself appear to not be the top-middle of the rail, but rather the undersides, immediate side edges, and the top-outer edges. If this is indeed true, a slot down the center shouldn't have any significant decrease in overall strength & retaining or securing of devices to the rail. Am I fundamentally misunderstanding the engineering of the rail?

Anyone have some good use with these rails that is willing to comment? The Enhanced rail is found on the Troy Lamb carbine & there are some photos of Frank Proctor running one of these, and while celebrity face checks are well and good, they aren't anything more than celebrity face checks, and don't necessarily contain any real information about the gear itself beyond so-and-so used it.

turnburglar
02-18-15, 20:31
While I doubt the troy alpha will be the absolute strongest rail in the universe. I'm pretty sure troy knows people attach shit to rails and wouldnt put out a bad product. Not their first time making rails.

You'll probably be fine taking the 'enhanced' over the regular. If anything it sounds like your getting the newer model.

Onyx Z
02-18-15, 21:23
You don't have to crank down accessories THAT hard, so it should be fine.

Benito
02-19-15, 01:12
Does their "Enhanced" rail come with a time machine to undo them hiring a Chicago anti-2A knob polisher (Jody Weis) and an apologist for the murderer of a woman holding a baby (Dale Monroe). **** Troy.

noonesshowmonkey
02-19-15, 09:05
... **** Troy.

I don't remember asking anything regarding Troy's hiring practices or their politics, much less your own. If you'd care to discuss those things, there are many threads elsewhere for that.

Just looking for clear, concise, scientific, and/or experiential evidence about 1913 rails that have been slotted.

Benito
02-19-15, 13:08
I don't remember asking anything regarding Troy's hiring practices or their politics, much less your own. If you'd care to discuss those things, there are many threads elsewhere for that.

Just looking for clear, concise, scientific, and/or experiential evidence about 1913 rails that have been slotted.

I thought I'd offer it anyway, free of charge, as a professional courtesy.

HardToHandle
02-20-15, 00:06
While I doubt the troy alpha will be the absolute strongest rail in the universe. I'm pretty sure troy knows people attach shit to rails and wouldnt put out a bad product. Not their first time making rails.

^ This appears to be a very reasonable assumption. I started out shopping for a round-holed Alpha and ended up with the VTAC oval-shaped rail. In both researching and in my own analysis, there wasn't that much risk from a different profile.

My question is if the holes across the top might have a negative impact on accessories - plastic "iron" sights, electro-optical sights or IR lasers located above the bore? Venting heat directly onto an accessory is different than proximal heating from side vents. I don't see this as a deal breaker, just another consideration.

JG007
02-20-15, 00:21
Tin foil hat sovereign citizen alert

The troy midlength with front sight cut out rail is awesome